Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Movie Talk
Reload this Page >

Please help! Anyone know what this movie is?

Community
Search
Movie Talk A Discussion area for everything movie related including films In The Theaters

Search this Thread

Old 11-18-03, 05:03 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I have been trying to find out the name of this movie. My dad said he saw it at my house last year, but it doesn't sound familiar to me. He doesn't know any of the actors names as well.

Basically, the premise of the movie is that a guy wakes up in prison for killing his wife, or something similar to that. Everyday that he wakes up, he finds he woke up on the previous day. It sounds like something similar to 'Groundhog Day', but instead of repeating the same day, he goes back farther and farther until he is not in prison, and finally figures out what happened to his wife. I don't remember the movie myself, but my dad swears that I had it in my DVD collection. I have looked through all my DVDs and can't figure it out. I think the guy in the movie is black. Not sure though!

Any help will be greatly appreciated!

-StormGuy
Old 11-18-03, 05:06 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Sounds a little like Memento
Old 11-18-03, 05:19 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Location: Madison, WI ("77 square miles surrounded by reality")
Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
Re: Please help! Anyone know what this movie is?

Originally posted by StormGuy
I have been trying to find out the name of this movie. My dad said he saw it at my house last year, but it doesn't sound familiar to me. He doesn't know any of the actors names as well.

Basically, the premise of the movie is that a guy wakes up in prison for killing his wife, or something similar to that. Everyday that he wakes up, he finds he woke up on the previous day. It sounds like something similar to 'Groundhog Day', but instead of repeating the same day, he goes back farther and farther until he is not in prison, and finally figures out what happened to his wife. I don't remember the movie myself, but my dad swears that I had it in my DVD collection. I have looked through all my DVDs and can't figure it out. I think the guy in the movie is black. Not sure though!

Any help will be greatly appreciated!

-StormGuy
Isn't that an X-Files episode?
Old 11-18-03, 05:30 PM

Update on movie info

Thank you for the quick responses! I checked out IMDB for Memento and it looked suspect, so I called my Dad to ask him about it. He's saying that the movie had a teddy bear camera in it somewhere... and also that the guy was in jail and knew he was going to be shot at some point, so he was trying to get transferred to another cell.

Does any of this ring a bell with anyone?
Old 11-18-03, 05:33 PM

I also asked my dad if this could have been an X-files episode, but he was sure that it wasn't, that it was a feature-length film, and no Mulder or Sculley. However, there probably was an X-files episode that was a lot like this!
Old 11-18-03, 05:44 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Are you sure it wasn't part of a crack-smokin' Memento, Shawshank Redemption, Meet the Parents movie marathon?
Old 11-18-03, 05:49 PM

Actually, I thought about that, but I can remember that night TOO well... I'll never do that again!
Old 11-18-03, 05:58 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
It is definitely an X-Files episode, with Joe Morton (black guy from from T2), called "Redrum." I remember this one, and Scully and Doggett (this was after Mulder was gone) don't figure into the episode very much, which is why maybe your dad didn't think it was X-Files. Here is a description of the episode.
Old 11-18-03, 05:59 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Location: Madison, WI ("77 square miles surrounded by reality")
Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
I also asked my dad if this could have been an X-files episode, but he was sure that it wasn't, that it was a feature-length film, and no Mulder or Sculley. However, there probably was an X-files episode that was a lot like this!
Well, it sure sounds exactly like this:

"Redrum" Season 8, Episode 3

And the lawyer was played by Joe Morton who is black.
Old 11-18-03, 08:52 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
can't be Memento. He isn't in prison.
Old 11-18-03, 09:24 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 26 Likes on 14 Posts
Yeah, pretty obvious it wasn't Memento. Not sure why that was even thrown out there.
Old 11-20-03, 01:32 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

I think it is the X-Files episode your dad is thinking of. This episode also features a teddy bear camera in it.
Old 11-20-03, 09:04 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1,077 Likes on 652 Posts
Lost Highway? (I have never seen the whole movie...just bits & pieces & it seemed a little similar...or am I way off?)
Old 11-20-03, 09:34 AM

Received 99 Likes on 82 Posts
It's definitely the X-Files episode mentioned. I remember it too.
Old 11-20-03, 10:38 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 46 Likes on 33 Posts
You know I remember a show on Fox that had an episode simialr to this. It was a show about weird government cases or something. Maybe someone here remembers the show.
Old 11-20-03, 11:04 AM

Re: Update on movie info

Thank you for the quick responses! I checked out IMDB for Memento and it looked suspect, so I called my Dad to ask him about it. He's saying that the movie had a teddy bear camera in it somewhere... and also that the guy was in jail and knew he was going to be shot at some point, so he was trying to get transferred to another cell.

Does any of this ring a bell with anyone?
I have to agree with everyone else on this. It's the X-Files episode Redrum. It even has a teddy bear with a "nanny cam" in it. Black lawyer. Wakes up in prison. Accused of killing his wife. Moves backwards. As someone else mentioned, Mulder is not in this one. But, Scully did show up a couple of times.

Edit: Sorry, meant to add, and the guy knew he was going to get shot. Your dad is describing this better than even some of us that have seen the episode remember.

Tell him to go to sleep, and maybe when he wakes up again, he'll remember a little more - like the opening credits.

Last edited by redinger; 11-20-03 at 11:07 AM.
Old 11-20-03, 11:21 AM
Banned

You have had Season 8 on DVD for a year? Go you!
Old 11-20-03, 03:48 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1,077 Likes on 652 Posts
Originally posted by B.S.Preston,ESQ
You have had Season 8 on DVD for a year? Go you!
I love your user name! Excellent!