DVD Talk Forum

DVD Talk Forum (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/)
-   Movie Talk (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/movie-talk-17/)
-   -   Listen to Annie Lennox's song for The Return of the King here (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/movie-talk/330568-listen-annie-lennoxs-song-return-king-here.html)

bdshort 11-17-03 10:47 PM

Listen to Annie Lennox's song for The Return of the King here

http://www.swindelllaw.com/West.mp3

'Into the West'

Lay down, your sweet and weary head
Night is falling, you have come to journey's end
Sleep now, and dream of the ones who came before
They are calling, from across the distant shore

Why do you weep?
What are these tears upon your face?
Soon you will see, all of your fears will pass away,
Safe in my arms, you're only sleeping

What can you see on the horizon?
Why do the white gulls call?
Across the sea, a pale moon rises
The ships have come to carry you home

Dawn will turn, to silver glass
A light on the water, all souls pass
Hope fades, into the world of night
Through shadows falling, out of memory and time
Don't say, we have come now to the end
White shores are calling
You and I will meet again
And you'll be here in my arms, just sleeping

What can you see, on the horizon?
Why do the white gulls call?
Across the sea, a pale moon rises
The ships have come to carry you home

And all will turn to silver glass
A light on the water grey ships pass,
Into the West

Kal-El 11-17-03 11:20 PM

Nice song. Haunting.

Rogue588 11-18-03 12:26 AM

she does another one called "Use Well the Days".

it's supposed to be excusive to the bonus DVD for the soundtrack..

Dr. DVD 11-18-03 08:10 AM

Soundtrack hits stores on Nov. 25th, right?

While that seems like a good song, I hope nobody tries to spin it as a love song from Sam to Frodo.

beefjerky 11-18-03 08:28 AM

This song is so a love song between Sam and Frodo.

Goldberg74 11-18-03 08:58 AM

I've always liked Annie Lennox, and this song just fits with her vocal style. Very good.

Am I the only person around here who doesn't see Sam as anything more than a devoted friend?

Giles 11-18-03 09:24 AM

Annie's best song for a motion picture was her cover of Cole Porter "Everytime We Say Goodbye" for Derek Jarman's Edward II

FinkPish 11-18-03 11:29 AM

Here is a place to listen to samples of the whole soundtrack for The Return of the King. Soundtrack.net

DaveNinja 11-18-03 01:30 PM

This is 2003, there are no "Devoted friends" only enemies or gay lovers.

javanut 11-18-03 03:17 PM

Great song. Better than Gollum's Song. Lennox will get an Oscar nomination for this.

TCG 11-21-03 03:35 AM

Originally posted by DaveNinja
This is 2003, there are no "Devoted friends" only enemies or gay lovers.
:lol:

but seriously, when the book was written (1936-1950 approx.), people weren't looking for gay undertones like now-adays.

now, it's almost as if two guys CANT be just close friends (in the movies, at least).

Ian11 11-21-03 01:29 PM

In Europe, Asia, Middle East, and practically everywhere around the world you'll see guy friends (heterosexuals) walking around with their arms around each others shoulders. I think they do it less now than before but this was seen only as a sign of friendship and nothing more. Shocking I know but its true. (Same thing with Frodo and Sam) Now that there's more of an awareness of homosexuality I think there's less outward showing of affection between two hetero guys but I could be wrong. We live in very different times.

People who want to see a gay undercurrent between Frodo and Sam tend to be either homophobic, have "gay tendencies", or are gay themselves.

Kal-El 11-21-03 01:46 PM

Originally posted by Ian11
In Europe, Asia, Middle East, and practically everywhere around the world you'll see guy friends (heterosexuals) walking around with their arms around each others shoulders. I think they do it less now than before but this was seen only as a sign of friendship and nothing more. Shocking I know but its true. (Same thing with Frodo and Sam) Now that there's more of an awareness of homosexuality I think there's less outward showing of affection between two hetero guys but I could be wrong. We live in very different times.

People who want to see a gay undercurrent between Frodo and Sam tend to be either homophobic, have "gay tendencies", or are gay themselves.

While I agree and actually do put my arms around my close friends' shoulders especially when I'm back home, Sam does a wee bit more than that(Read the Mount Doom chapter IIRC) and I think that's the root of all the gay undercurrents that some readers--including me--get between Frodo and Sam, and has less, or nothing at all to do with being homophobic or what.