Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Movie Talk
Reload this Page >

I just watched the good the bad and the ugly

Movie Talk A Discussion area for everything movie related including films In The Theaters

I just watched the good the bad and the ugly

Old 11-14-03, 08:34 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
For a Few Dollars More is my favorite one of the three, too
Old 11-15-03, 11:33 PM
Doctorwho

I turned on the tv and a fistfull of dollars had the same , the bad, guy in it. Is the three triliogy the same characters? And did I just see the last one?
Old 11-16-03, 03:11 AM

the good the bad and they ugly is the last of the trilogy and clint eastwood plays the same character in the three movies
Old 11-16-03, 03:23 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 21 Likes on 17 Posts
Originally posted by Doctorwho
I turned on the tv and a fistfull of dollars had the same , the bad, guy in it. Is the three triliogy the same characters? And did I just see the last one?
Lee Van Cleef is in two of the movies. He doesn't play the same character in both (in GBU he's definitely the Bad, in For a Few Dollars More he's not). Clint Eastwood doesn't play the same character in all three, either (at least not IMHO), but he's pretty similar in all three (he doesn't even have the same name in them, although his name in GBU is a nickname, so his real name could be Joe like it is in Fistful of Dollars).

Last edited by Ginwen; 11-16-03 at 03:25 AM.
Old 11-16-03, 10:41 AM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally posted by Ginwen
Clint Eastwood doesn't play the same character in all three, either (at least not IMHO), but he's pretty similar in all three (he doesn't even have the same name in them, although his name in GBU is a nickname, so his real name could be Joe like it is in Fistful of Dollars).
Yes he does, and the way the audience knows it is that he wears the same exact clothes. Throughout GBU he slowly acquires the outfit he wears in the first two. Also, while he goes by three different names, one is clearly a first name (Joe), one a last name (Manco, sp?), and one a nickname (Blondie).
Old 11-16-03, 01:26 PM
Doctorwho

Originally posted by Ginwen
Lee Van Cleef is in two of the movies. He doesn't play the same character in both (in GBU he's definitely the Bad, in For a Few Dollars More he's not). Clint Eastwood doesn't play the same character in all three, either (at least not IMHO), but he's pretty similar in all three (he doesn't even have the same name in them, although his name in GBU is a nickname, so his real name could be Joe like it is in Fistful of Dollars).
I dont mean is he playing the same type of character performance wise, I mean is it the same guy, as in is luke from star wars the same luke from rotj, is he playing the same character?

Your post is confusing and annoying as hell.
Old 11-16-03, 02:33 PM

In Yojimbo and the other times Mifune plays that particular character he makes up his name in each movie. Even though his first name is supposedly Sanjuro. I only mention this because of course Fistfull of Dollars is based on Yojimbo. So I wouldn't put too much stock in the names he gives
Old 11-16-03, 03:07 PM
Doctorwho

okay let me start over.

Is it like star wars or lord of the rings where it's one long story told in three parts or like Indian Jones where it's single adventure stories with the same character?

I DONT MEAN ARE THEY ALL WESTERNS, OR ARE THEY ALL WITH THE SAME ACTORS, OR THAT THEY PLAY SIMILAR CHARACTERS!!

You guys are impossible to ask questions to....geez...
Old 11-16-03, 03:49 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

In the Man With no Name Trilogy, Eastwood's character names are Blondie (GBU), Joe (FoD) and Manco (FFDM). Van Cleef's were Angel Eyes Senteza (GBU) and Col. Douglas Mortimer (FFDM).

In none of the three are there any reprises of roles.

In Yojimbo, Mifune's character is Sanjuro (30 years old) Kuwabatake (mulberry), in Sanjuro it's Sanjuro Tsubaki (camellia). In these two movies and Zatoichi vs Yojimbo, Mifune reprises his role.

Last edited by garolo; 11-16-03 at 03:53 PM.
Old 11-16-03, 04:49 PM
Doctorwho

Originally posted by garolo
In the Man With no Name Trilogy, Eastwood's character names are Blondie (GBU), Joe (FoD) and Manco (FFDM). Van Cleef's were Angel Eyes Senteza (GBU) and Col. Douglas Mortimer (FFDM).

In none of the three are there any reprises of roles.

In Yojimbo, Mifune's character is Sanjuro (30 years old) Kuwabatake (mulberry), in Sanjuro it's Sanjuro Tsubaki (camellia). In these two movies and Zatoichi vs Yojimbo, Mifune reprises his role.
'

thank you. you rock. they suck.
Old 11-16-03, 07:32 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 21 Likes on 17 Posts
I dont mean is he playing the same type of character performance wise, I mean is it the same guy, as in is luke from star wars the same luke from rotj, is he playing the same character?

Screw you.

No, they don't play the same character. That's just my opinion, others can disagree.
Old 11-16-03, 07:54 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

You can bet no one ever got this worked up over "Paint your Wagon".
Old 11-17-03, 07:19 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Originally posted by cheapskate
You can bet no one ever got this worked up over "Paint your Wagon".
Oh really? Then you've never read Roger Ebert's review of that movie, have you?
Old 11-17-03, 05:28 PM

You guys are impossible to ask questions to....geez...

--

Old 11-21-03, 01:36 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally posted by yojimbo1
In Yojimbo and the other times Mifune plays that particular character he makes up his name in each movie. Even though his first name is supposedly Sanjuro. I only mention this because of course Fistfull of Dollars is based on Yojimbo. So I wouldn't put too much stock in the names he gives
Wouldn't Sanjuro be his family name. I know that in Japan they use family name first followed by personal name.
Old 11-21-03, 05:19 PM

might want to check out pale rider and the outlaw josey wales, both great westerns with clint.
Old 11-21-03, 07:14 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Originally posted by chente
Wouldn't Sanjuro be his family name. I know that in Japan they use family name first followed by personal name.
Actually, no it's not his family name. In Yojimbo when asked, he says his name is "Kuwatabake Sanjuro. [then the Japanese equivalent of] Going on 40".
In Sanjuro he says, "Tsubaki Sanjuro. Going on 40".
So Sanjuro would be his "given" name.

By the way, Sanjuro means 30 year old.