DVD Talk Forum

DVD Talk Forum (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/)
-   Movie Talk (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/movie-talk-17/)
-   -   Best French Movies on DVD (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/movie-talk/329139-best-french-movies-dvd.html)

Tekken 11-10-03 11:49 AM

Best French Movies on DVD

Hi all,

Could you recommend some best French movies on DVD?

Preferably PG-13 or less in any catergories.
Thanks.

Tekken

Hiro11 11-10-03 01:14 PM

Diva
400 Blows
Playtime (OOP, but not for long)

sfsdfd 11-10-03 03:59 PM

Please note that general requests and polls of this nature don't belong in the Reviews Forum.

Moving to Movie Talk Forum.

- David Stein

NaturalMystic79 11-10-03 05:05 PM

Brotherhood Of The Wolf 3 disc Collector's Edition!

smirnoff 11-10-03 10:01 PM

Irreversible- good for children of all ages.

Ian11 11-10-03 10:33 PM

Amelie: There's one scene with sexual content in the beginning and scenes that take place in an adult sex shop. But on the whole the scenes aren't really objectionable. So a qualified recommendation.

Jean de Florette/Manon of the Spring: Manon has one scene where you'll briefly see Emmanuelle Beart in her full nude glory cavorting in the woods. But again within the spirit of the movie I don't think its objectionable. I remember they aired this movie on PBS awhile ago.

City of Lost Children: I don't remember anything in the movie that would be objectionable for a family audience.

My Mother's Castle/My Father's Glory: perfect for the family too. Yeah, there's a brief scene with few naked kids running around but its innocent.

Beauty and the Beast (Jean Cocteau): some of the images may be a bit scary for very young kids. A more lyrical version to show your kids besides the Disneyfied one. This movie is a classic and a wonder to behold for young and old.

The Lady and the Duke: period movie mostly filmed with blue screens. Okay flick but it was the lovely Lucy Russell that had me transfixed.

Cyrano de Bergerac: I don't recall anything that would be objectionable. Good rousing retelling of the classic tale.

victant 11-11-03 01:11 AM

Jules and Jim

Nick Danger 11-17-03 09:51 AM

Mr. Hulot's Holiday. OOP, but not for long. My favorite Jacques Tati movie.
Beauty and the Beast (Cocteau). A fairy tale.
City of Lost Children. A fairy tale.

Good movies with grownup themes but without R-type content include:
Grand Illusion
Discreet Charm of the Bourgoisie
Le Boucher

Diva is one of my favorite action movies, but the DVD sound is supposed to be awful. That's a bad thing in a movie about an opera singer.

garolo 11-17-03 10:03 AM

Definitely any of the Tati films and while it's not PG-13 Le Femme Nikita is definately up there as one of the best action films to come out of France.

Neitzl 11-17-03 10:37 AM

Originally posted by Nick Danger

Diva is one of my favorite action movies, but the DVD sound is supposed to be awful. That's a bad thing in a movie about an opera singer.

I bought the new release of Diva, with anamorphic picture. It wasn't as bad as I thought it was going to be, actually. I love the movie, and had to have it, so I plunked down the cash and wasn't disappointed.

Wasn't Babette's Feast partly in French? If so, incredible film.

Rififi.

Hendrik 11-17-03 10:58 AM

...erm... BABETTE'S FEAST is about 99% in Danish... Babette herself is French (but speaks French-accented Danish throughout most of the movie)...

. . . :o . . .

retihsuhnt 11-17-03 04:23 PM

I know I really liked the 1991 feature "Delicatessen". You can find it at Amazon UK here.

Edit: I must admit I didnt read the PG13 guideline prior to submitting this title. Sorry about that, this isnt one for little kids unless you really want to have a "talk" afterwards, but it is a great movie.

wendersfan 11-17-03 09:10 PM

L'Atalante
The Grand Illusion
Rules Of the Game
The Children of Paradise
Playtime
Mr. Hulot's Holiday
Wages of Fear
Diabolique
Last Year At Marienbad
Hiroshima, Mon Amour
The 400 Blows
Breathless
Les Bonnes Femmes
My Life To Live
Jules and Jim
Les Biches
My Night At Maud's
Band Of Outsiders
Pierrot le Fou
Day For Night
Small Change
Au Revoir, Les Enfants
A Tale of Summer
Dreamlife of Angels
Three Coulors: Blue
Three Colors: White
Three Colors: Red

(The last three are Polish/French co-productions, but White is the only one that has a significant amount of Polish dialogue)

inri222 11-17-03 10:53 PM

Rififi
Le Trou
Alphaville
Contempt
That Obscure Object of Desire (R rated but great)
Le Cage Aux Folles