DVD Talk Forum

DVD Talk Forum (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/)
-   Movie Talk (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/movie-talk-17/)
-   -   Will Matrix Rev break 200 million..? (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/movie-talk/329074-will-matrix-rev-break-200-million.html)

Bruce_S 11-10-03 03:41 AM

Will Matrix Rev break 200 million..?

It's very disappointed to see a movie that started out so well fall so fast. Reloaded made close to $280 mil in US and around $750 worldwide.

I don't think, Rev. will break $200 mil in US after a disappointing $55 mil for 5 days- IMO.. Time will tell...

Overall, I guess the studios can called it a successfully trilogy since it's made over 1 billion bucks and counting...

-bruce

Jackskeleton 11-10-03 04:06 AM

it will break 200 easy.

chess 11-10-03 04:20 AM

don't really care, but i agree with jack.

the trilogy will sell like heroin on DVD.

Spooky 11-10-03 04:57 AM

"The Hulk" made $62 million it's first weekend and only wound up pulling in $132 million domestically. I expect similar things to happen with the Matrix. It's pulled in about $85 million so far, but I expect huge drop offs in the coming weeks. Domestically, I don't think it will do much better than $150 or $160 million. Most of the people in the theater I saw it in were quite disappointed with it. It's not a film that's going to induce a lot of repeat viewings from theater goers.

Pauly 11-10-03 05:56 AM

Originally posted by Spooky
Most of the people in the theater I saw it in were quite disappointed with it. It's not a film that's going to induce a lot of repeat viewings from theater goers.
thou hast spoken Nostradamus. Did you conduct a personal movie survey by the theater exit as people were leaving? This movie will break 200 Mill.

Pauly 11-10-03 06:10 AM

Re: Will Matrix Rev break 200 million..?

Originally posted by Bruce_S
It's very disappointed to see a movie that started out so well far so fast. Reloaded made close to $280 mil in US and around $750 worldwide.

-bruce

So Reloaded made $110 Million more than the original domestically and $294 Million more worldwide and is the highest-grossing Rated R movie ever. And you call that disappointing because......?

TomOpus 11-10-03 07:03 AM

I think it will struggle to break 200 million. It might be close. Next weekend's number should tell the tale. If there's 60%, or more, dropoff then it won't make it...

Rypro 525 11-10-03 07:19 AM

Re: Will Matrix Rev break 200 million..?

Originally posted by Bruce_S

I don't think, Rev. will break $200 mil in US after a disappointing $55 mil for 5 days- IMO.. Time will tell...

-bruce

it made 80 over the 5 day weekend

Dr. DVD 11-10-03 09:00 AM

While I liked the movie and it has already broken $200 million worldwide, I doubt these movies will have much fire left after this weekend. The Wachowskis are starting to come across as weirdos to a lot of people, and that doesn't set too well in the heartland.

Patman 11-10-03 09:01 AM

It'll be close for Revolutions to get to the $200 million mark.

fumanstan 11-10-03 09:15 AM

I think it'll be close, but it'll make it. While the hype and wait had everyone waiting to see Reloaded right away, i think there are plenty of people who want to see Revolutions to complete the story, but aren't in a rush after being let down a bit by Reloaded.

Groucho 11-10-03 09:16 AM

I agree that there will be a lot of drop-off and probably not a lot of repeat viewings. It's already made more than $200 mil globally. It will probably hit that figure domestically, but it'll be tight.

Dr. DVD 11-10-03 10:40 AM

When all is said and done, the Matrix trilogy as a whole will be remembered as a box-office triumph, not a letdown.

Spooky 11-10-03 11:01 AM

Originally posted by Pauly
thou hast spoken Nostradamus. Did you conduct a personal movie survey by the theater exit as people were leaving? This movie will break 200 Mill.
When people boo outloud and use the word "suck" out in the lobby, I'm assuming the majority of people in that particular viewing didn't care for it.

I went with a group of six die-hard Matrix fans...we all thought it sucked too.

So, I perhaps only accounted for about 25 of the 50 or so that were in the theater, but I sure didn't hear anyone say they liked it.

And I still don't think it will break $200 million domestically. I don't even think it will be number one again this weekend.

Rypro 525 11-10-03 11:37 AM

what comes out next weekend that will give revolutions some trouble.

bdshort 11-10-03 12:22 PM

Master and Commander

BTW, I'll be seeing Revolutions tonight hopefully. I'm watching Reloaded on DVD today.

Brian

chess 11-10-03 12:44 PM

Originally posted by Dr. DVD
When all is said and done, the Matrix trilogy as a whole will be remembered as a box-office triumph, not a letdown.
both in dollars and substance.

i'm sure many classics were drubbed both financially and critically...and found their audience later.

i'm not saying this series is citizen cain, but i do think it will compare favorably with the likes of aliens and star wars...maybe not LotR though.

Groucho 11-10-03 12:49 PM

Originally posted by chess
i'm sure many classics were drubbed both financially and critically...and found their audience later.
You're right, of course. But they are the exception, and not the rule.

I think over time The Matrix will be remembered well, but not the sequels.

jaeufraser 11-10-03 12:57 PM

The movie will probably not cross 200 million. It'll be close. But honestly, does it matter? While some might go "see how disapointing!!!" I mean, it's an R rated film pulling down huge numbers. What this movie will also do is make enormous amounts internationally. I'd expect Revolutions to end with 500-700 million worldwide. Definately nothing to sneeze at. And I also think people will remember the sequels a bit more fondly once time gives way... But who knows. I loved the movie myself.

mrpayroll 11-10-03 12:58 PM

<TABLE BORDER> <TH COLSPAN=9> Nov 7 - 9, 2003 </TH>
<TR> </TH> <TH> TW </TH> <TH> LW <TH> Movie </TH> <TH> Fri - Mon Gross </TH> <TH> Pct. Chg. </TH> <TH> Total (Millions) </TH> <TH> Screens </TH> <TH> Screen Avg. </TH> <TH> Weeks </TH> </TR>
<TR> </TD> <TD ALIGN = right> 1 </TD> <TD ALIGN = right> N <TD> The Matrix Revolutions </TD> <TD ALIGN = right> $50.2 </TD> <TD ALIGN = right> n/a </TD> <TD ALIGN = right> $85.5 </TD> <TD ALIGN = right> 3,502 </TD> <TD ALIGN = right> $14,321 </TD> <TD ALIGN = right> 1 </TD> </TR>
<TR> </TD> <TD ALIGN = right> 2 </TD> <TD ALIGN = right> N <TD> Elf </TD> <TD ALIGN = right> $32.1 </TD> <TD ALIGN = right> n/a </TD> <TD ALIGN = right> $32.1 </TD> <TD ALIGN = right> 3,337 </TD> <TD ALIGN = right> $9,619 </TD> <TD ALIGN = right> 1 </TD> </TR>
<TR> </TD> <TD ALIGN = right> 3 </TD> <TD ALIGN = right> 2 <TD> Brother Bear </TD> <TD ALIGN = right> $18.6 </TD> <TD ALIGN = right> -4.1% </TD> <TD ALIGN = right> $44.1 </TD> <TD ALIGN = right> 3,030 </TD> <TD ALIGN = right> $6,140 </TD> <TD ALIGN = right> 3 </TD> </TR>
<TR> </TD> <TD ALIGN = right> 4 </TD> <TD ALIGN = right> 1 <TD> Scary Movie 3 </TD> <TD ALIGN = right> $11.1 </TD> <TD ALIGN = right> -44.5% </TD> <TD ALIGN = right> $93.4 </TD> <TD ALIGN = right> 3,288 </TD> <TD ALIGN = right> $3,377 </TD> <TD ALIGN = right> 3 </TD> </TR>
<TR> </TD> <TD ALIGN = right> 5 </TD> <TD ALIGN = right> 4 <TD> Radio </TD> <TD ALIGN = right> $7.4 </TD> <TD ALIGN = right> -23.2% </TD> <TD ALIGN = right> $36.3 </TD> <TD ALIGN = right> 2,811 </TD> <TD ALIGN = right> $2,632 </TD> <TD ALIGN = right> 3 </TD> </TR>
<TR> </TD> <TD ALIGN = right> 6 </TD> <TD ALIGN = right> N <TD> Love Actually </TD> <TD ALIGN = right> $6.6 </TD> <TD ALIGN = right> n/a </TD> <TD ALIGN = right> $6.6 </TD> <TD ALIGN = right> 576 </TD> <TD ALIGN = right> $11,479 </TD> <TD ALIGN = right> 1 </TD> </TR>
<TR> </TD> <TD ALIGN = right> 7 </TD> <TD ALIGN = right> 6 <TD> Mystic River </TD> <TD ALIGN = right> $4.8 </TD> <TD ALIGN = right> -22.6% </TD> <TD ALIGN = right> $40.5 </TD> <TD ALIGN = right> 1,581 </TD> <TD ALIGN = right> $3,051 </TD> <TD ALIGN = right> 5 </TD> </TR>
<TR> </TD> <TD ALIGN = right> 8 </TD> <TD ALIGN = right> 5 <TD> Runaway Jury </TD> <TD ALIGN = right> $4.8 </TD> <TD ALIGN = right> -26.4% </TD> <TD ALIGN = right> $40.1 </TD> <TD ALIGN = right> 2,133 </TD> <TD ALIGN = right> $2,250 </TD> <TD ALIGN = right> 4 </TD> </TR>
<TR> </TD> <TD ALIGN = right> 9 </TD> <TD ALIGN = right> 3 <TD> The Texas Chainsaw Massacre </TD> <TD ALIGN = right> $4.8 </TD> <TD ALIGN = right> -55.6% </TD> <TD ALIGN = right> $73.2 </TD> <TD ALIGN = right> 2,378 </TD> <TD ALIGN = right> $2,018 </TD> <TD ALIGN = right> 4 </TD> </TR>
<TR> </TD> <TD ALIGN = right> 10 </TD> <TD ALIGN = right> 8 <TD> School of Rock </TD> <TD ALIGN = right> $3.2 </TD> <TD ALIGN = right> -30.4% </TD> <TD ALIGN = right> $73.6 </TD> <TD ALIGN = right> 1,982 </TD> <TD ALIGN = right> $1,589 </TD> <TD ALIGN = right> 6 </TD> </TR>
</TABLE>

Chris

Spooky 11-10-03 01:47 PM

Originally posted by jaeufraser
The movie will probably not cross 200 million. It'll be close. But honestly, does it matter?
No, it doesn't matter...it could make $2 billion. It would still be a bad movie.

Mystic River may not make it to $50 million, it would still be a great movie.

Box office receipts are not indicative of quality.

lrstreet 11-10-03 03:26 PM

I think Revolutions will make slightly more than the original Matrix made over its domestic run.
The Matrix $171 million
Reloaded $281 million
Revolutions $175-200?

This pattern seems similar to the american pie series that saw a increase in the 2nd film and a drop for the 3rd film
American Pie $101 million
American Pie 2 $145 million
American Wedding $104 million

DRG 11-10-03 05:41 PM

I call it at $160 million. Actual numbers for the weekend bring it to $48.47 mil, $83.79 total. There's too much competition in the coming weeks to reach $200 mil at this point.

Terrell 11-10-03 05:47 PM

Actually, Revolutions didn't even make it to 50 million for the weekend. The final numbers are in and Revolutions pulled in 48.4 million for the weekend. Since I think this film is going to drop by a minimum of 50% next weekend, and probably even 60%, this film won't get close to 200 million.

The Antipodean 11-10-03 05:54 PM

It'll be funny if the worst of the 3 movies (IMHO of course) makes the most money at the box office. Didn't love revolutions, but it was better than I was expecting considering the poisonous reviews.