DVD Talk Forum

DVD Talk Forum (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/)
-   Movie Talk (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/movie-talk-17/)
-   -   Mulholland Drive Forum - Thanks For Your Clear Feedback (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/movie-talk/328688-mulholland-drive-forum-thanks-your-clear-feedback.html)

GeoffK 11-07-03 11:19 AM

Mulholland Drive Forum Needs a Home - Feedback Needed

All,

I got a note from a very active member in a Mulholland Drive forum. Appearently they are in pretty dire need to move from their current forum and have been looking for a new 'home'

Since we don't really have individual movie sub forums (aside from the temps) I wanted all your feedback on giving this Mulholland Drive forum a home as a subforum here in Movie Talk.

There are very few films I think could benefit from its own area in the long haul and Mulholland Drive, being one of the most enigmatic films I've seen in years is one of them.

But again... I want to hear your thoughts

chanster 11-07-03 11:30 AM

hmm, seems like a bad precedent if you ask me...people will start complaining and asking for Stanley Kubrick forums, etc.

Flay 11-07-03 11:32 AM

Mulholland Drive is one of the worst movies I've ever seen. I really wanted to enjoy it as I normally love David Lynch films, but he owes me 2 and a half hours of my life back.

A forum dedicated to Freddy Got Fingered makes just as much sense to me. But it's your bandwidth. Do what you want with it.

evenflow 11-07-03 11:32 AM

I think it's fine as long we have many "Naomi Watts-naked!" topics. ;)

Chrisedge 11-07-03 11:33 AM

Yep, I wouldn't do it...

Rypro 525 11-07-03 11:33 AM

well this might stop threads "what happens at the end of muholland drive". better make it a David Lynch forum, but then again ,you will have to eventually make a kubrick forum, then a spielberg forum and so on

Groucho 11-07-03 11:43 AM

The problem is that Muholland Drive isn't the only film that deserves its own forum. There are several other films that garner just as much discussion, if not more. Plus, everybody has their own list of favorites that they would like to see with their own board.

Caliking 11-07-03 11:47 AM

well...why not start up forums for particular movies. if they dont average at least a post a day (or something like that) take em down. i think it would be fun and add a lot of discussion.

its your site, you pick which movies get included in their own forums.

it would be cool, since you asked.

Rypro 525 11-07-03 11:48 AM

Originally posted by evenflow
I think it's fine as long we have many "Naomi Watts-naked!" topics. ;)
no, the main thread will be "why is the lesbo scene blurred"

DonnachaOne 11-07-03 11:48 AM

No.

Today it's Mulholland Dr. forum...

... tomorrow it's a feedback section glutted with "I want a ____ subforum! You gave one to Mulhooland Dr."!

Rogue588 11-07-03 12:06 PM

I'm still pissed we didn't get a Scooby-Doo sub forum..

But, I suppose if you want to do a solid for a friend [if s/he is a friend], it wouldn't bother me. As long as it doesn't affect the way DVD Talk is currently run or the features available. [Like, say, it increases the minimum letters required to perform a search from four to eight...;)]

gcribbs 11-07-03 12:08 PM

Up to you although I think it is a bad idea unless you really want more sub forums.

Fred C. Dobbs 11-07-03 12:22 PM

Originally posted by DonnachaOne
No.

Today it's Mulholland Dr. forum...

... tomorrow it's a feedback section glutted with "I want a ____ subforum! You gave one to Mulhooland Dr."!

Agreed. Granted, I am a newbie, but I think Donnacha hit the nail on the head.

Jepthah 11-07-03 12:46 PM

As much as I love the film, I have to agree that only current mega-huge event films really should get their own subforums.

I was surprised to see one not created for The Matrix even though I would spend virtually no time there. :)

Aphex Twin 11-07-03 12:59 PM

Originally posted by Groucho
Plus, everybody has their own list of favorites that they would like to see with their own board.
Please also make subs for Blade Runner, Apocolypse Now, and Kill Bill.

Josh H 11-07-03 01:05 PM

As others said, it would set a bad precedent.

I mean there are whole Star Wars sites, so if a movie a lot of people haven't even seen has a permanent sub forum here, then how could you justify not having a star wars sub forum. Etc. Etc.

Just stick with only having temporary sub forums when huge movies release to keep movie talk from being overwhelmed.

neiname 11-07-03 01:11 PM

I agree with the above posts

Corvin 11-07-03 01:25 PM

Aye, a slippery slope indeed.

Numanoid 11-07-03 01:41 PM

While I would love to see such a sub-forum (being a big David Lynch fan), I agree that it would be really out of place and troublesome to have just one devoted to this particular film.

I am all for, however, sub-forums devoted to specific classic and special interest films, in which a Mulholland Dr. sub-forum could exist. There are a lot of films which deserve enough analysis and discussion that would warrant a permanent existence (Kubrick films, Lynch films, Hitchcock, etc.)

How much bandwidth could it really take, expecially since I doubt they would be very busy? It would be a great clearinghouse location for essays and links to other discussions...heck, it could become a useful research area...your site might even get a citation in some college term papers or published articles. :D

FuzzyBallz 11-07-03 02:36 PM

Please don't incorporate other forums into DVD Talk. It will start all kinds of mess. First w/ people demanding a separate forum for every movie and people from the the other forum starting flame wars w/ people in this forum. Save your bandwidth and tell the MDF people to bugger off.

CitizenKaneRBud 11-07-03 03:05 PM

I agree with those above posts, I don't think it would be a good idea

ArchibaldTuttle 11-07-03 03:10 PM

I agree, bad idea, personally I hated the movie anyway

GeoffK 11-07-03 05:17 PM

Ok guys.... Hear ya loud and clear.

This is why we check things out before we do them.

- G

flixtime 11-07-03 05:47 PM

Originally posted by Rogue588
But, I suppose if you want to do a solid for a friend [if s/he is a friend], it wouldn't bother me. As long as it doesn't affect the way DVD Talk is currently run or the features available. [Like, say, it increases the minimum letters required to perform a search from four to eight...;)]
Agreed.

While I agree that there are many cons to adding this particular sub-forum, the idea of being "neighborly" should - imho - override the other concerns. I suppose the influx of new members to DVDTalk would be a plus as well. FWIW, I'm not a fan of the film either.

BlackBeauty92 11-08-03 01:08 AM

ok, i think a new sub-forum dedicated just for Mullholang drive would indeed create more trouble....

why not just go with genre forums? like Horror/suspense, Sci-fi/fantasy, war/western, comedy, action, drama, & so on... i know it might "devided" everybody but at least it would be fair.

it might be a good thing to "join in" with our new neighbours... good for both sides, us (members) making more firends, & more "business" for the owner :)

just my 2 cents