DVD Talk Forum

DVD Talk Forum (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/)
-   Movie Talk (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/movie-talk-17/)
-   -   Matrix: Revolutions reviews (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/movie-talk/328021-matrix-revolutions-reviews.html)

Hiro11 11-04-03 10:56 AM

Matrix: Revolutions reviews

Looks like I'll be happy to miss this one...
http://www.metacritic.com/film/title...ixrevolutions/

jeffkjoe 11-04-03 11:09 AM

My favorite:

Rolling Stone / Peter Travers:

"At the risk of understatement, The Matrix Revolutions sucks."

Terrell 11-04-03 04:47 PM

"At the risk of understatement, The Matrix Revolutions sucks."
:lol: Damn! I don't think I've ever heard a mainstream critic flat out say something sucks. I haven't seen this film yet. Not sure I'm going to now. I loved the original and watched it often. Didn't care for Reloaded. We'll see.

Toad 11-04-03 04:50 PM

You actually decide what you'll see based on critics? More power to you if so, but I know I would've been devoided of some great laughs, tears, and general excitement if I followed some paid writer's opinion.

The Antipodean 11-04-03 05:34 PM

"I know I would've been devoided"? Dude, you could use a paid writer in your posts. ;) Jus' joshin'.

Besides, does being paid for an opinion suddenly make it inconsequential? I hardly think that's the case. I've been turned on to a lot of great movies by critics and there's an equally large number of critical opinions I don't agree with. But I'd never brush off the entire genre of criticism like you seem to be doing. Reading a critic's opinion is just that, their opinion, and they're not forcing you to agree or disagree with it one way or another.

Goldberg74 11-04-03 06:12 PM

Some others:

""the Wachowskis ...lean so heavily on concepts and designs from 'Aliens' ...that you half-expect to hear Bill Paxton wailing 'Game over, maaaaan!' in the background.""
-- James Sanford KALAMAZOO GAZETTE

"Please someone, get me the blue pill. I want to forget that this ambitious and noteworthy series is ending so weakly."
-- Nell Minow, MOVIE MOM AT YAHOO! MOVIES

Terrell 11-04-03 06:38 PM

You actually decide what you'll see based on critics?
Rarely do I base my viewing decisions on critic reviews! In fact, I basically read them as entertainment, not for opinion on movies. But I'm not that big on the Matrix to begin with. Like I said, enjoyed the original quite a bit. Bored to tears with the second. Because of that and the reviews for Revolutions, which seem to say it completely negates Reloaded and makes things even more confusing, I'll catch this one on DVD.

Flay 11-04-03 06:40 PM

Lots of the reviews I've read basically said it's better than Reloaded, yet not as good as the first. Funny how those same reviewers gave the 2nd one above average scores and gave the 3rd mediocre scores.

Anyway, it's fine with me since I loved Reloaded.

Spooky 11-04-03 06:42 PM

Originally posted by Terrell
Rarely do I base my viewing decisions on critic reviews! In fact, I basically read them as entertainment, not for opinion on movies. But I'm not that big on the Matrix to begin with. Like I said, enjoyed the original quite a bit. Bored to tears with the second. Because of that and the reviews for Revolutions, which seem to say it completely negates Reloaded and makes things even more confusing, I'll catch this one on DVD.
Anyone see the contradictions in the above paragraph?!
:hscratch:

Terrell 11-04-03 06:49 PM

Nope! I said I rarely base viewing decisions on critic reviews, but I have done it, and I'm doing it here. That and my not liking Reloaded. So no, no contradictions.

jarofclay73 11-04-03 06:53 PM

Originally posted by Spooky
:hscratch:

Yup! :D

MattSVT 11-04-03 06:55 PM

It's never a good sign when so many critics just dog the movie.

jarofclay73 11-04-03 07:01 PM

Originally posted by MattSVT
It's never a good sign when so many critics just dog the movie.
Well, maybe the Matrix may turn out to be a "cult classic." :D

caiman 11-04-03 07:12 PM

Originally posted by jarofclay73
Well, maybe the Matrix may turn out to be a "cult classic." :D
Right... Just like Godfather part III, Alien Resurrection, and Robocop 3.

matome 11-04-03 08:02 PM

I wasn't too impressed with Reloaded, but I just have to see the resolution regardless of the buzz. At this point, it's probably what Warner will be banking on.

Spooky 11-04-03 09:36 PM

Originally posted by caiman
Right... Just like Godfather part III, Alien Resurrection, and Robocop 3.
Man, Al Pacino is going to get you for mentioning Godfather III in the same sentence with Alien Resurrection and Robocop 3!

GeoffK 11-05-03 12:41 AM

Here's my 99.9% spoiler free review:
http://www.dvdtalk.com/reviews/read.php?ID=8168

BigPete 11-05-03 12:49 AM

"So disappointing they may as well have bussed in Ewoks to save Zion."
-- Christopher Null, FILMCRITIC.COM

LivingINClip 11-05-03 06:24 AM

hahaha
EWOKS!

Rypro 525 11-05-03 07:28 AM

im seeing it tonight (which the idiot at the counter didn't know it was playing at their theater tonight when I went to preorder tickets yesterday)

Hiro11 11-05-03 07:46 AM

Here's the Rotten Tomatoes link:
http://www.rottentomatoes.com/m/TheM...tions-1127201/

..and the mrqe link:
http://www.mrqe.com/lookup?^Matrix+R...ns,+The+(2003)
...getting worse all the time:

"Reloaded" was certainly a lumpy, gaseous treatise of a movie, but viewers of "Revolutions" may find themselves looking back on it fondly. -A.O. Scott, New York Times

Rypro 525 11-05-03 07:57 AM

oh dear god, i nearly spilled a gut on this one
The good news is that Neo Christ Superstar is indeed an improvement over its buzz-kill predecessor. The bad news is that it's still terrible."
-- Sean Burns, PHILADELPHIA WEEKLY

marty888 11-05-03 08:08 AM

The NY Times says: <i>"...the saga of Neo...has now by all appearances reached its terminus... the appropriate response is some where between 'About time' and 'sSo what'."</i>

There is also an article about the fact that it's opening worldwide on over 10,000 screens. Hmmm ... you know how all those high profile/low quality movies open wide and grab as much money as they can opening weekend before word-of-mouth gets out....

Daytrip 11-05-03 08:36 AM

quick everyone bash it instead of posting some decent reviews about GOOD movies that might get people into the theater. 99% of the people that will see Revolutions decided to in the parking lot after Reloaded.

pro-bassoonist 11-05-03 09:26 AM

I am going to see it ASAP. I loved Reloaded so I am looking forward to this one.

What boggles the mind here is that so many post these "critics" reviews and without even seeing the film tend to put a verdict on it. I thought that this forum was all about having your own opinion, trying to escape the mainstream influence, and the "grey zone" in which masses tend to fall every so often. I guess not- teaspoon feeding still works pretty good!!

See the movie then criticize!!