DVD Talk Forum

DVD Talk Forum (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/)
-   Movie Talk (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/movie-talk-17/)
-   -   Just Saw Matrix: Revolutions (Thoughts) (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/movie-talk/327962-just-saw-matrix-revolutions-thoughts.html)

Matthew Chmiel 11-05-03 10:01 PM

I loved the first film. I loved Reloaded. So of course, I loved Revolutions. While I have only seen the film once (I plan on a second showing sometime this weekend), I still haven't been able to "digest" everything with the first viewing (numerous viewings of Matrix and Reloaded made me appreciate them more).

I have only a few tiny problems with the film:
- I didn't like how a few of the questions from Reloaded were not answered here.
- It felt a little bit "off" that most of the characters felt like "guest stars" in this film while the visual effects felt like the stars. It was nice to see a few minor characters to be given things to do, but it was weird to see Neo, Morpheus, and Trinity missing from more than one-third of the film. Hell, Link mostly got a paragraph of dialog.

The dialog is still a bit "cheesy" and "weak" in places. Hugo Weaving steals the show again (just as he did in the first two films). The action scenes, I thought, were top notch. Not "mind blowing" like the first two films, but at least the CGI wasn't so "out of place" in this film (the end of the Burly Brawl in Reloaded anybody?).

I thought it was a great send-off to a trilogy. Then again, I hate most final films in trilogies (*cough*Return of the Jedi*cough).

caipirina 11-05-03 10:30 PM

Originally posted by Rypro 525
My thoughts on Matrix 3.

The machines are God and his angels. God is the forces of nature and pure mathematics.

Neo is Jesus, created by God to ensure people survive Satan and exist to worship and serve, or in this case, feed, God.

Smith is Satan. Neo (Jesus) was out on earth by God to counterbalance Satan and ensure people survive to worship - feed - God.

I am not an actively religious person so maybe my thoughts are over the top.

ok, and how many times have you seen the whole showing of Neon Genisis Evangelion, plus movies :)

interesting approach though ...

Mittman 11-05-03 10:33 PM

Just got back, and I really enjoyed it, of course I loved the first two as well. Not as good as The Matrix, but better than Reloaded. I actually agree with Harry Knowles for once
Spoiler:
I liked this one because we felt like the battles were about life and death. Reloaded just had a bunch of scenes with Neo fighting Agents and other Programs we knew he could beat without breaking a sweat. This film made you nervous in each fight thinking if Neo could actually do it or not.

caipirina 11-05-03 10:50 PM

ok .. i finally waded through 5 pages of thread and have some questions, comments ...
some people think
Spoiler:

that either the Kid or 'sita' (actually Sati i think .. or did he mean "zee" ?) are the 'one', hmm .. interesting ... i could imagine they are setups for sequel ones :) .. especially that annoying kid is ideal fodder for a TV version of the matrix ... easy to make a TV show out of all that is around

Did anyone else found it weird that they let the Kid run and spread the (fresh and not confirmed) news
Spoiler:
the war is over
??? I mean he could have yelled "they are leaving" .. but no .. within 2 seconds he was sure what the situation is ...

Monica Belucci's cleavage was definatly eyecandy (was that CGI?) and i think I saw a nipple during that club scene .. not sure if that was a chick or a fat dude though.

The punch in Smith's face is great ... glad they did not overuse that one effect.

A lot of the fights were more real, down and dirty ... a nice breather after reloaded.

Did I mention Monica's ... errr .. i did .. ok ..

Coming back to that little girl character
Spoiler:
What the heck did she have to do with the sunrise ... didn't her 'parents' say she was a useless program and thus lined up for deletion?

When I left the movie, i no way did I think that
Spoiler:
Neo was dead
, I did not see that happen, and the final images do not really imply that ... maybe the give him some new
Spoiler:
eyes
and send him back home, to help clean up ...

I found Bane's function a bit lame ... but sure a great performance ...

Good performance (and explanation) by the new oracle

Well .. i guess i may give the movie a second try some time ... or wait for the DVD

jarofclay73 11-05-03 10:52 PM

Originally posted by Matthew Chmiel
I thought it was a great send-off to a trilogy. Then again, I hate most final films in trilogies (*cough*Return of the Jedi*cough).
"So disappointing they may as well have bussed in Ewoks to save Zion."
-- Christopher Null, FILMCRITIC.COM

rotfl

Supreme Sean 11-05-03 10:52 PM

So, did Neo play the skinflute in this movie, or what ?

Klotera 11-05-03 10:56 PM

It always amazes me how we (critics especially) always tear down something once it rises above cult popularity. The list is endless.
This is what I've been trying to tell people for a long time (even before they started doing it to the Matrix films). But, no one wants to hear it. But, the more angry they get about the suggestion - the more I suspect I'm right.

I suspect that the backlash against this film is partially due to that with the rest being attributed to people expecting this film to be more than it (or any other film can be). Critics have basically said that if this film doesn't change their entire world they aren't going to accept it.

I personally was in awe - because they did a better job of finishing up the series than I thought they could. Here is my review of the film below:

--------------------

Man, I don't know what the reviewers are smoking - this kicks all possible ass. And the people who complained about the "talky" dialogue in Reloaded can no longer complain about that (at least after the first 20-30 minutes).

It was going to be very difficult to top the first couple films given the surprise of the first and how it jumpstarted our imaginations and the u-turns and improved kung-fu choreography of the second. This film succeeds because it doesn't try to better what the first and second did. They have blown their philosophical wad at the end of the Reloaded and the point of this film is for our characters to end their struggle given the information we now know.

The film begins with about 20-30 minutes that are much more like Reloaded. I actually got a little nervous about how the film would turn out during this point - as it was clearly not going to be able to keep up with Reloaded in dialogue or pacing. But, these 20 minutes set up our characters for their final struggle.

After this point - it is balls-to-the-wall. The battle for Zion begins and it is sci-fi's answer to the battle of Helm's Deep. As I watched, I couldn't help but think that this is a sci-fi anime fan's wet dream. This kind of scene would previously only be relegated to the realm of animation because of the limitations of a live-action film. The Watchowski's, though, truly did raise the bar this time and brought this scene fluidly in to the live-action realm. And they did it on a grander scale than I imagined they could. The suspense is kept tight throughout and we get to see a number of characters really step up here and does justice to even some of the smaller roles in the film.

Neo's struggle is not going to be able to hold a candle to the grandness of the battle for Zion, but is interesting none-the-less. I don't want to give anything away - but what transpires between this and the final battle is fairly interesting. Not in a blow-your-mind type of way, but with enough creativity to make it worth your while.

The final battle between Smith and Neo is probably going to be the most debated part of the film. They only attempt to make it a traditional kung-fu fight for a couple of minutes. After that, it becomes very comic-like and this will split people. I personally thought it was pretty cool. It impressed me stylistically rather than through its choreography. It felt like a superhero or anime fight and the atmosphere of the surroundings added to the effect.

The resolution to the film is more than satisfying. The Watchowski's didn't settle for any gimmicks or cop-outs (such as the Matrix-in-Matrix that some had suggested... ugh). It resolves our struggle while still leaving a few things to the imagination - a point I was praying they would stick to, and they did.

You owe it to yourself to at least give this a chance. Even if you didn't like Reloaded - this film is its own film and not just more of Reloaded. The Watchowski's didn't try be gimmicky and mess with us any more - they accepted the u-turn at the end of Reloaded as the turning point of Neo's quest and give us a satisfying resolution to it.

Revoltor 11-05-03 11:04 PM

I coulda sworn the kid was going to get shot in the back of the head or something after his news.

Rypro 525 11-05-03 11:06 PM

Originally posted by Revoltor
I coulda sworn the kid was going to get shot in the back of the head or something after his news.
I knew that wasn't gonna happen since one of hte number one "rules" of filmaking is that you never kill a kid.

AndyCapps 11-05-03 11:08 PM

I loved it. I watched back-to-back showings. The battle between Zion and the machines was absolutely incredible. It sort of ended the way I envisioned it would. You can't expect them to destroy the machines and free everyone at once. It has to be done over time.

It seems like the new Matrix might be too much like Utopia. That failed once before.

condorito 11-05-03 11:10 PM

On neo at the end
Spoiler:
smith died and he was the opposite of neo so neo had to die to balance the equation, or the anomaly would cause more unbalance
He lost trinity anyways and saved zion, no point in him living anyways

and yes trinity dragged way too long

Rogue588 11-05-03 11:38 PM

well, since the thread title is "Just Saw Matrix: Revolutions [Thoughts]...here's one of my thoughts...

as Trinity, Morpheus & Seraph were walking through the "rave" to meet Merv, I thought: "great, Pixy's NEVER gonna let us hear the end of this...". of course, this line of thinking end IMMEDIATELY once I saw Monica in that red number...:drool::drool::drool:

[fingers crossed for an hour's worth of deleted scenes with her...or maybe a "making of" featurette on how they squeezed her into that dress...;)]

Saxofonix 11-05-03 11:55 PM

Originally posted by joshyborra
Spoiler:
Are we 100% positive Neo died at the end? I understand all the references to Jesus and being a Savior, and while the machines were dragging Neo away at the end, does that necessarily mean he's dead?

Spoiler:
I didn't see it either as Neo necessarily dying. He seems to have been assimilated pretty well into the Matrix and / or other systems.

Neeb 11-05-03 11:57 PM

>>"Please someone, get me the blue pill. I want to forget that this ambitious and noteworthy series is ending so weakly." -- Nell Minow, MOVIE MOM AT YAHOO! MOVIES<<

So, tell me Nell? Is this your bid for a seat at the Algonquin round table?
It has failed- back to the kiddie table for you.

Revoltor 11-06-03 12:01 AM

What did Nell do wrong? All she did was tell the truth.

The movie mom? What the hell is that anyway?

Klotera 11-06-03 12:08 AM

***Possible Spoilers***

It seems like the new Matrix might be too much like Utopia. That failed once before.
But that was because they thought the problem was with the Utopia being too perfect for the primitive human mind. That turned out to be a mistaken assumption, as the real problem was always choice. At least that's the way I understood it.

gross@iastate 11-06-03 12:09 AM

I thought the dialog was cheesy, people were laughing when they were trying to be serious. It should have ended with the first movie.

Although seeing Monica's twins made it all worth while.

Terrell 11-06-03 12:19 AM

I suspect that the backlash against this film is partially due to that with the rest being attributed to people expecting this film to be more than it (or any other film can be). Critics have basically said that if this film doesn't change their entire world they aren't going to accept it.
How many excuses are people going to come up with to try and explain away the negative reviews? The majority of critics thought it was a bad movie, plain and simple. No excuse is gonna change this. The expectation argument won't either. Just look at the SW prequels. The expectation for them was 10 times the expectation for the Matrix films. Every excuse that's been given for the bad reviews sounds exactly like what Star Wars fans, including me, were saying when they were met with lukewarm reception. Although neither TPM or AOTC was ripped the way Revolutions has been, as both ended up fresh.

Even so, at the end of the day critics don't lie about a film because they have some motive. They didn't like it. Just like those who gave TPM and AOTC negative reviews didn't like the film either. We just have to accept that and stop trying to explain it away.

Klotera 11-06-03 12:26 AM

Even so, at the end of the day critics don't lie about a film because they have some motive.
It's not that they're necessarily lying. If a reviewer sets high expectations that they normally would not set for a movie - they're not lying about it, but it still doesn't give a completely unbiased view.

.... and, yes, I do realize that there is no such thing as an unbiased review, good or bad, when it comes to a movie with the visibility of Matrix Revolutions. That's also the reason I'll sit and debate this kind of thing more for this than another movie which isn't as subject to such forces.

I can say one thing... the kind of reviewers that sit and try come up with the wittiest insult are the ones I least trust - those are the ones that sound like they have some "motive". If you can explain why you dislike it without trying to be a smart-ass about it, I'm more likely to take you seriously.

indiansbsa 11-06-03 12:53 AM

Yeah I have to chime in...definately loved Revolutions.

Not gonna go on about it ad nauseum right now, but the critics made me believe I was going in to see a truly bad film rather than an action extravaganza with a heart and closure....

Were all my questions answered? No. Then again, if they were, that would leave nothing to the imaginatioin...

My grades for the films:

Matrix 1- B (Good balanced action/mystery/philosophy flick but didnt say much new to me about Simulation and Simulacra than was out there before)

Matrix 2- A- (Outstanding thinking person's action film with new insights into reality and choice. Multiple viewings essential to understand everything)

Matrix 3- A-/B+ (Take of your thinking caps children, this is the war film of the series, and while new revelations are to be had and it is a great finish to the series, the answers to the questions, when given, werent on the upteenth level of intelligence that Reloaded hinted at)

cseaw 11-06-03 12:53 AM

Saw Reloaded and Revolutions in the full IMAX experience. Did the original Matrix play in IMAX theaters?

Correct me if I'm wrong, but didn't the "war" end pretty much the way the architect said it would?

jessecrx 11-06-03 01:19 AM

Watched it tonight, and I enjoyed the movie very much.

Some parts left me with more questions, but I think thats what I like about the Matrix Trilogy.

A very nice movie theater experience.

zero 11-06-03 01:45 AM

Originally posted by jessecrx
Watched it tonight, and I enjoyed the movie very much.

Some parts left me with more questions, but I think thats what I like about the Matrix Trilogy.

A very nice movie theater experience.

Word.

Jackskeleton 11-06-03 01:49 AM

riiiiight

jough 11-06-03 01:53 AM

I thought it was brilliant. Great ending, which left most of the people in the theatre I was in scratching their heads, but I did a little math during the end credits and figured out a few things. It very much follows from the second film, and everything we learned about the nature of reality in it.

And those who said it wasn't a matrix in a matrix... well, yes and no. It's not a cop-out, but just keep in mind the idea of planes of reality while you watch it.

I don't know how much more I can say without giving away hella spoilers. I guess we could use an all-spoiler thread.