Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Movie Talk
Reload this Page >

Just Saw Matrix: Revolutions (Thoughts)

Movie Talk A Discussion area for everything movie related including films In The Theaters

Just Saw Matrix: Revolutions (Thoughts)

Old 11-05-03, 06:45 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Just got back:

During Reloaded I hated the Zion parts. So I was surprised that I was so into the Zion battle. The part I was looking forward to (neo/Smith) I thought was a let down, can't say why though, just a feeling.

I really dug the parts in the Matrix during Reloaded. The first 10-15 minutes had that feel, wish it was more.
Old 11-05-03, 06:46 PM
DVD Talk Hero

I found the film pretty engrossing once you get past the first 10 minutes of the film. There's quite a lot to digest, I was dazzled by the action sequences, and the impact and import of them. To me, it's one thing to have mindless action for action's sake, but action in this film is used to drive the plot along to some rather interesting results and reprieves.

The gist of the Matrix trilogy to me is making that singular connection that overwhelms your total sense of self and enables you to find the courage to make things better for others, which becomes its just rewards for your own self worth and peace of mind.

I think the middle act and the last act are some of the best action scenes I've seen put into one movie in quite a long time. Is it exhausting? Yes, but in a good way.

Will all your questions be answered? No, but life's funny like that.

I give it 3.5 stars, or a grade of A-.
Old 11-05-03, 06:47 PM

Did the actor who played Bane have his lines dubed by Hugo W.?
Or was the actor just doing a voice impersonation. If so it was right on.
Old 11-05-03, 06:54 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

I saw the flick this afternoon and I didn't much like it at all, but I had fun watching it. Why? Every time the movie got a little preachy (like every 8th minute) the theatre would erupt with laughter. Nobody took the flick as a serious action movie but instead treated it like an ep of MST3k complete with random comments and all.
Old 11-05-03, 06:59 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Well, I saw the IMAX edition TWICE today. I really enjoyed the flick, but thought the first 25-40 minutes were rather dull and redundant. If the film had started with Bane waking up and Neo setting out for Machine City I think it would have ruled.

The action scenes were great but there wasn't enough emotional or intellectual payoff to the characters set up in Reloaded...and many of them seemed like filler....

I think that I could take Reloaded and Revolutions and edit them together into 1 completely kick ass movie... the stuff I'd take out you wouldn't miss and it wouldn't drastically change the meaning of the piece (most of the philosophical mumbo jumbo...sounds like a philosophy 101 text book)

So overall I liked it, but really wish they had just made one lean mean movie, rather than two bloated average flicks.

3.5 out of 5

MATT
Old 11-05-03, 07:36 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

I went in expecting it to suck. And certain parts definitely lived up to those expectations. There was way too much meaningless filler. I didn't see preachiness as much as I saw longwinded people who just didn't know when to shut up. But the Smith battle sorta worked for me and made me forget about some of the earlier sins. I feel more entertained now than I did after Reloaded, but that's not saying very much.

**/****
Old 11-05-03, 07:43 PM

This is definitely not a 38% on tomatometer as critics would like you to believe. I personally enjoyed the trilogy and looking forward to watching them several more times because I may get to see things that I missed before. There's not a lot of movie, from any genres, that can do that.
Old 11-05-03, 07:47 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Location: Bartertown due to it having a better economy than where I really live, Buffalo NY
Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
just checked imdb
instead of a train, they should have used some sort of aircraft to move back and forth
hompefully someone will get it, my location is a hint
Old 11-05-03, 08:06 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

I was disappointed with the movie, although I don't think it was a bad movie. My expectations were set too high, and I was overly concerned with the trilogy tying everything together. I'll need to watch it a second time to appreciate the movie by itself.

As for specifics:
Spoiler:
Did anybody else get worried that another rave type scene was going to happen when Morpheus, Trinity, and Seraph went into the Merovingian's club?

Niobe navigating the mechanical pipes reminded me of Lando escaping the Death Star 2.

Niobe telling the crew to get to the guns to fight off the squiddies reminded me of Luke and Han shooting off TIEs after escaping the original Death Star.

The bubble effects that occured after Neo and Smith hit each other hard in the rain were cool, but overall I found the rain to be a distraction to the fight, which was pretty underwhelming itself.

Finally, I think my biggest gripe about Revolutions is that it's not the MATRIX to me. One of the main reasons I like the franchise is because of the crazy stuff that happens IN the Matrix, like bullet time, defying gravity, etc. I thought Revolutions had too much Zion/real world.
Old 11-05-03, 08:08 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
You have thoroughly confused me, mikehunt. What in the sam hill are we supposed to "get? Is each line of your post a different line of thought?

Last edited by cartman; 11-05-03 at 08:12 PM.
Old 11-05-03, 08:11 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Originally posted by RocShemp
Additional questions:
Spoiler:
Is the Kid the One? If so, what does that make Neo?
Where the hell did this question come from? Did I miss something?
Old 11-05-03, 08:14 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally posted by BigPete
Where the hell did this question come from? Did I miss something?
It's from the Animatrix. "The Kid" is a short from that DVD. He is the kid in the movie who rushes to see Neo in Reloaded, and volunteers\opens gate #3 in Revolutions. It is shown in the short that he escapes the Matrix kindof on his own.
Old 11-05-03, 08:15 PM

Just got back from seeing Revolutions. Personally, I think that the movie was so overhyped for most of us, it would have been impossible to completely please us. Overall, I enjoyed the movie as a good action movie. I liked it about the same as I did Reloaded. Still think the first was the best. Like a lot of you, I felt the ending was kind of anti-climatic. I'd give it a 7/10. I'll be buying the DVD for sure. There was definately a lot to take in, and I'm sure seeing it a couple more times will help me to understand it better.
Mike
Old 11-05-03, 08:15 PM

uggg. What a let down. There were so many scenes that just dragged on way too long.

Spoiler:
Trinity's death scene was horrendous. She went on and on for 5 minutes. I understand she's a major character but come on.

I think I'm mainly dissapointed with the resolution they came up with.

Spoiler:
One of the character's states "It doesn't make sense" as the sentinels are packing up and heading for home. I couldn't agree more. And the final fight between Neo and Smith? Meh.
Old 11-05-03, 08:20 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

just chiming in, I was so "lucky" that Fiji would actually have that movie on opening day, which makes it even half a day ahead of the US midnight mark ... but seeing all the posts above, there must have been many previews

Anyways, I am still digesting ... yes, better than 2, but nothing like the first one. Had some cool moments and some cool effects, especially a certain face punch (the concept had been rumored very very early, I was expecting it for #2) .. but also was aggrivating, annoying and exhausting. I felt like checking my watch from time to time and at some point even felt like heckling. That whole trainman thing was .. hmm .. crap ... but the audience here got some laughs out of the 3 indian stereotypes (half of fiji has indian background).

need to read all the stuff above and sort my thoughts .. oh .. and go and rent T3
Old 11-05-03, 08:49 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

I just got back from seeing it and I thought it was great. There were several times when I caught myself letting my breath out after some paticularly intense action sequences, and after some intense emotional moments. Never once did I find myself checking my watch or wishing it was over. And being somewhat adhd that's saying something.

I enjoyed some of the dialog quite a bit, especially the Indian progam that said love is just a word, but it is a word that implies a connection. I think the entire trilogy was a commentary on the choices we make and what they mean to our lives. At least that is what I got from it.

I have to add that Hugo Weaving is absolutely amazing. His acting with his voice and facial expressions really impressed me. I actually laughed when I saw some of the looks on his face. Ian Bliss as Bane also did a fantastic job. His imitation(if it wasn't special effects) of another character in the movie was dead on.

The ending did leave me with some questions, but all in all, I enjoyed it very much.

And, yes, I saw the same movie as all of the rest of you. I also liked Reloaded.
Old 11-05-03, 09:27 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Location: Where the sky is always Carolina Blue! (Currently VA - again...)
Originally posted by mikehunt
just checked imdb
instead of a train, they should have used some sort of aircraft to move back and forth
No idea what you're smoking unless you're talking about Bruce Spence being in the flick? It was pretty funky seeing him again. It's been too long.

Also, I could swear I saw Ben Browder as one of the mech pilots in a couple of the closeups right before the fighting started, but I could just be mistaken.
Old 11-05-03, 09:29 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Location: Bartertown due to it having a better economy than where I really live, Buffalo NY
Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
I'll admit it's a bit lame, ok probably more than a bit
what I was getting at was that bruce spence played the trainman, and he was a pilot in the 2nd and 3rd mad max movies

Originally posted by cartman
You have thoroughly confused me, mikehunt. What in the sam hill are we supposed to "get? Is each line of your post a different line of thought?

Last edited by mikehunt; 11-05-03 at 09:34 PM.
Old 11-05-03, 09:30 PM

just checked imdb
perhaps a gyro-copter?
Old 11-05-03, 09:32 PM

Saw the third one today,

I still think the first one was the only one worth while, they should have left the very cool alone!
Old 11-05-03, 09:36 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
My thoughts on Matrix 3.

The machines are God and his angels. God is the forces of nature and pure mathematics.

Neo is Jesus, created by God to ensure people survive Satan and exist to worship and serve, or in this case, feed, God.

Smith is Satan. Neo (Jesus) was out on earth by God to counterbalance Satan and ensure people survive to worship - feed - God.

I am not an actively religious person so maybe my thoughts are over the top.
Old 11-05-03, 09:37 PM
Banned

Great movie. People have too high expectations I think, just sit back and enjoy the fireworks.
Old 11-05-03, 09:40 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Location: Where the sky is always Carolina Blue! (Currently VA - again...)
I'll admit it's a bit lame, ok probably more than a bit
what I was getting at was that bruce spence played the trainman, and he was a pilot in the 2nd and 3rd mad max movies
Yeah, but it's not as though this is his first role since then.
Old 11-05-03, 09:46 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally posted by Astro

Spoiler:
Trinity's death scene was horrendous. She went on and on for 5 minutes. I understand she's a major character but come on.
totally agree .. that is the scene i wanted to yell at the screen
Spoiler:
Die, beyotch, DIE !!!!
Old 11-05-03, 09:55 PM

I also just saw it, and I thought it was great! While some parts may have been a little too long, I think it summed just about everything up. It left us with not so much unanswered questions, but questions on what we think happens next. Although I will admit one unanswered question (only because I didn't pick it up the first time)....

Spoiler:
Are we 100% positive Neo died at the end? I understand all the references to Jesus and being a Savior, and while the machines were dragging Neo away at the end, does that necessarily mean he's dead?

Search this Thread

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Copyright 2018 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.