Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Movie Talk
Reload this Page >

Just Saw Matrix: Revolutions (Thoughts)

Community
Search
Movie Talk A Discussion area for everything movie related including films In The Theaters

Just Saw Matrix: Revolutions (Thoughts)

Search this Thread

Old 11-04-03, 06:51 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Way to threadcap all the way around.
Old 11-04-03, 07:17 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

To answer some of your questions from a guy who has seen the movie.... Warning - these spoilers are true to their name...

Spoiler:
Neo Dies. There is something akin to a Jesus Pose.

Spoiler:
There is No Matrix in a Matrix

Spoiler:
Another MAJOR character is killed

Spoiler:
The final fight between Neo and Smith is weak

I didn't hate the film, I was just expecting so much more. I couldn't comprehend why the Wachowski brothers would end this trilogy so sloppily - it does a disservice to the wonderful first film. It's unfortunate. If I had to grade the film on a whole I'd give it a C+ - adrenaline junkies beware, you're not going to find your fix with Revolutions.
Old 11-04-03, 07:21 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

EDIT: Ok, after calming down a bit, I realize I probably over-reacted.

But I'm still very much spoiled.

Please add spoiler tags BEFORE hitting submit next time.

Last edited by caiman; 11-04-03 at 07:28 PM.
Old 11-04-03, 07:59 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Woo-hoo we got Spidey and Hulk going at it too now!
Old 11-04-03, 08:08 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Woo-hoo we got Spidey and Hulk going at it too now!
Not really! Someone just said where is the hype like it was for Hulk. I replied the Hulk wasn't hyped much at all. End of story. Back to Revolutions talk.
Old 11-04-03, 08:23 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 625 Likes on 482 Posts
Originally posted by Flynn
To answer some of your questions from a guy who has seen the movie.... Warning - these spoilers are true to their name...

Spoiler:
Neo Dies. There is something akin to a Jesus Pose.

Spoiler:
There is No Matrix in a Matrix

Spoiler:
Another MAJOR character is killed

Spoiler:
The final fight between Neo and Smith is weak

I didn't hate the film, I was just expecting so much more. I couldn't comprehend why the Wachowski brothers would end this trilogy so sloppily - it does a disservice to the wonderful first film. It's unfortunate. If I had to grade the film on a whole I'd give it a C+ - adrenaline junkies beware, you're not going to find your fix with Revolutions.
Spoiler:
"Jesus Pose"? Explain?

Spoiler:
So then.... what is the Matrix? Did they at least give a plausible explanation?

Spoiler:
Trinity, right?

Spoiler:
Why did you think it was weak? Not grandious enough or just too overblown for something that was ultimately simple?

Additional questions:
Spoiler:
Is the Kid the One? If so, what does that make Neo?

Last edited by RocShemp; 11-04-03 at 08:31 PM.
Old 11-04-03, 08:55 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Location: City of the lakers.. riots.. and drug dealing cops.. los(t) Angel(e)s. ca.
Spoiler:

I suppose
Spoiler:
Not the one
Old 11-04-03, 09:07 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally posted by Jackskeleton
Spoiler:

I suppose
Spoiler:
Not the one
Duh! But seriously,
Spoiler:
what the heck is the source of his amazing abilities then? Was he just some human that the Architect "programed" with these abilities in order to be a sort of "False One" (like the previous five mentioned in Reloaded) but was pulled out of the Matrix prematurely by Morpheus (thinking this was indeed the One) and thus he was not programed with his intended purpose (to return to the Source and reboot the Matrix)? Or is he just some sort of fluke?

Last edited by RocShemp; 11-04-03 at 09:09 PM.
Old 11-05-03, 12:42 AM
Registered

Here are my thoughts:

http://www.dvdtalk.com/reviews/read.php?ID=8168
Old 11-05-03, 06:29 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Sure... *sniff* ignore my questions....

Seriously though, I'm really bumbed cos I had trouble ordering the tickets online last night from http://www.caribbeancinemas.com It's been a pain. today my account didn't even appear so I made a new one (just this morning) and they claim I've ordered 118 tickets to a bunch of movies! WTF?! ANyhoo, it claims I've ordered The Matrix Reloaded a bunch of times since yesterday and that can't be since the account was made not 30 minutes ago. Not to mention it keeps saying try again when I try to order the tickets. Anyone have experience with these people? Has this happened to you (as I've never heard of this happening to anyone I know that has used them)?
Old 11-05-03, 06:38 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Spoiler:
If Neo dies, that sucks....unless Trinity is THE ONE.
Old 11-05-03, 07:06 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally posted by Toad
Spoiler:
If Neo dies, that sucks....unless Trinity is THE ONE.
Spoiler:
Well apparently she dies and the Kid is the One. Before The Animatrix I was always holding fast to the hope that when/if Neo died Morpheus would be revealed as the One.
Old 11-05-03, 09:19 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
didn't (spoiler for reloaded, but on speculation from revolutions.
Spoiler:
she sort of die at the end of reloaded but neo's flying helped save her
Old 11-05-03, 09:23 AM

Received 31 Likes on 22 Posts
Rotten Tomato Blasts Revolutions

38% on the rotten scale.. Yeesh... sounds worse than the last one. Some VERY harsh reviews.

http://www.rottentomatoes.com/m/TheM...tions-1127201/
Old 11-05-03, 10:09 AM

It always amazes me how we (critics especially) always tear down something once it rises above cult popularity. The list is endless.

The Matrix series is simply a comic book (Heavy Metal or Metal Hurlant for the french) on the screen. It's that simple. And, as that, it works.

Did we (critics) actually think the mysteries of the universe were going to solved for us? C'mon, get serious.
Old 11-05-03, 10:27 AM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
The main question I have is there more Agent Smith in this film than in the 2nd one? He's the best character (esp in the 2nd one) IMHO
Old 11-05-03, 10:31 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

The Matrix series is simply a comic book (Heavy Metal or Metal Hurlant for the french) on the screen. It's that simple. And, as that, it works.
its hardcore fans hyped it up as the ultimate intellectually challenging action movie.
in fact, so challenging, that if you weren't prepared to study the middle film, you would only reap the most shallow of benefits from it as well as the last.

from all the reviews i've read (even the positive ones) most of the concepts introduced and alluded to in the middle film are either ignored, abandonded or shuttled in favor of the typical big budget spfx bombast- the kind of bombast that the fans have been saying this trilogy is oh so much more than.
Old 11-05-03, 11:40 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Well my friends just came back from watching this (I have to wait until tommorrow) and told me they absolutely loved it! They also mentioned that the ending is an obvious setup for a sequel with
Spoiler:
shades of the death of Optimus Prime mixed with the ending of "Dark Awakening" indicating that Neo isn't officially dead so there is undoubtedly another film being cooked up.
Yes, they are aware that a game is rumoured to be in the works but they feel that a game wont do quite as well as another event film. Considering the lackluster performance of Enter the Matrix, I'm inclined to agree with them.

I'm really looking forward to this and since I liked Reloaded as much as they did, I'm sure I'll have a blast with this one.

Last edited by RocShemp; 11-05-03 at 12:01 PM.
Old 11-05-03, 11:57 AM

Originally posted by Toad
I'm going to see it regardless of everyone's opinion here. No offense to anyone in particular, I don't know you at all, but I have the feeling a lot of people are overly critical for the hell of it, or had some high expectations that probably couldn't have been met. Maybe I'm wrong. Maybe you're like me and just want some entertainment (minus any confusion). If so, and you still came away feeling like you did, then I'll be in for some trouble.
i dont think anyone is being overly critical for the hell of it. this film really did disappoint. even more so than Reloaded.

the strength of the first movie was it's simplicity imo. the sequels are too complicated. too many characters. too much money thrown at overblown special effects, rather than concentrating on a simple story about a single character.
Old 11-05-03, 11:58 AM
Retired

Originally posted by gkleinman
Here are my thoughts:

http://www.dvdtalk.com/reviews/read.php?ID=8168
This quote sums up my feelings on the series perfectly (the first two anyway).

"What began as an interesting philosophy discussion in The Matrix has quickly degraded into pseudo-intellectual babble, Matrix Revolutions is a balls-to-the-all action film, you'll be happiest if you leave your brain at the door. "

They're great action movies, enjoy them for what they are, ignore that the W bros. want them to be more than that.
Old 11-05-03, 12:04 PM
DVD Talk Legend

"Silly humans, Matrix is for kids!" -- Gregory Weinkauf, NEW TIMES

So true.. so true..
Old 11-05-03, 12:06 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Well...

... I dug it.

Much better editing and pacing, beautiful effects, no overuse of slo-mo kung fu and characters knew when to shut the hell up.

Is it as good as it could, or should, be? No. But I liked it.
Old 11-05-03, 12:08 PM
DVD Talk Hero

I think the following review, taken from IMDB, most closely resembles my friends' feelings about this third film:

Spoiler:
machnoo
Canada

Date: 2 November 2003
Summary: Do you want to know why Matrix Trilogy is the best? here is why....

The Matrix was all about mystery and intrigue and suspense of the matrix, thats why it was so popular, it had ideas very seldom explored and fight scenes very seldom created to look so real

The Matrix Reloaded and Revolutions are completely different films because we already know what the matrix is, the wachowski`s didnt want to make another mystery which would undermine the mystery of the matrix, the fight scenes are the same because this is not the Axis or Plasticman where new techniques are employed, Bullet time is a part of the Matrix and was kept as a part of reloaded and revolutions because that is a part of the action scenes core in these movies, only that it was made better in reloaded and revolutions, the only addition was virtual cinematography in that they made the most human lookalikes we have seen on screen, while many common movie goers didnt realise the breakthrough they made in this, its still a breakthrough, although not as big as bullet time but it still is, remember that bullet time is the essence of the fighting scheme in the Matrix, bullet time is there because the speed and impossibility of the scenes and you want to look slowly and closely, Reloaded combined Virtual Cinematography and Bullet time when Neo goes spinning in the air with the pole. video game graphics or not video game graphics that is the closest to CGI humans zoomed in we have ever seen, and probably will ever see in a while.

Revolutions was about the philosophy of the matrix, with what is the matrix known, the mystery known and the intrigue out of the way, Reloaded was now solely putting its story pattern on How neo is going to save Zion and if he really can save it, Remember that the original just showed us what is the Matrix, we were so enthralled, there was no need to explore any further, this time what was explored was what is Zion, which brings us to the pacing of the movie, Zion had to be paced slowly and matrix quicker because we know what the matrix is but knew hardly anything about What is Zion, Who are the people of Zion and What kind of values and beliefs they carry.

Revolutions on the other hand is the resolution of the story once and for all, it is the end of this particular story, it explains what happens to neo and it tells us how it happens, I dont need to explain the action scenes as they speak for themselves in TV spots but the story is important here, The story is about Neo saving Humans in Zion and Rogue programs in the Matrix, Remember that Neo is here to save the world, save humanity, a Machine program can also be human like a rogue program for instance Sati, who is the formation of two rogue programs the two indian people who loved and produced Sati, Sati is acknowledgment that the Matrix was not only a slave for the humans but it became the breeding ground of programs who thought they were human and which acted human, Neo chose to save both, if he just destroyed the Matrix, those hundreds of rogue programs who are as human as they come (Merovingian is a perfect example of being human, he wanted more and more power and was greedy and malicious, this is a characteristic of an evil human), he couldnt let both forms of humanity die, even if one was real to him one was not, but both could think, hate and love and fight, Neo realised from the Oracle that she desperately wanted to survive and let other rogue programs survive too, why else do you think as a rogue program she wanted to help Neo destroy the Matrix. she never said i will help you in destroying the Matrix, remember in Reloaded she said the only way to get there is together, that is the time the path of neo as the savior of the WORLD began and it ended when Neo says "Because I chose to".

So before all this monotonous thinking that Matrix story is better than the other and this is better than the other is all false, the story is all one, it is the journey of Neo from realising that he like Jesus was not only the savior of those who believed in him, but that he would be the saviour of all humans in all forms colors and shapes, thus the power of christianity, because he gave his life to protect his own disciples and so people realise he did this for everyone to finally believe in him

Of course, the big difference here is that my friends' feel a sequel is set up at the end of this film.

Last edited by RocShemp; 11-05-03 at 12:17 PM.
Old 11-05-03, 12:14 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Just saw it....... awesome..... f$%^ the critics.

Dont believe. Great movie...
Old 11-05-03, 12:15 PM
DVD Talk Legend

"Please someone, get me the blue pill. I want to forget that this ambitious and noteworthy series is ending so weakly." -- Nell Minow, MOVIE MOM AT YAHOO! MOVIES

"So disappointing they may as well have bussed in Ewoks to save Zion." -- Christopher Null, FILMCRITIC.COM

(These are my exact feelings) -> "After all is said and done, I wish they would have left the trilogy to one." -- Danny Minton, KBTV-NBC (BEAUMONT, TX)

"The Matrix Revolutions sucks." -- Peter Travers, ROLLING STONE

"How did something that started out so cool get so dorky?" -- Manohla Dargis, LOS ANGELES TIMES

"It feels tired, recycled and redundant as it shares many of the same faults that made the second installment a disappointing sequel for those who loved the original." -- Jim Judy, SCREEN IT!

"Louder, longer, more expensive and dumber than its predecessors, Revolutions is a mediocrity that will provide escapism only to those who head for the theater exits." -- Colin Covert, MINNEAPOLIS STAR TRIBUNE

"Drunk on itself and the possibilities of cinema to present allegory in grandiloquent gestures and crushing self-importance." -- Walter Chaw, FILM FREAK CENTRAL

"Revolutions is nothing more than a 'B' movie script with an 'A' movie budget." -- Cherryl Dawson and Leigh Ann Palone, THEMOVIECHICKS.COM

"The good news is that Neo Christ Superstar is indeed an improvement over its buzz-kill predecessor. The bad news is that it's still terrible." -- Sean Burns, PHILADELPHIA WEEKLY

"Confronting Matrix Revolutions, you need your own veil of unreality just to wade through the misappropriated metaphors." -- John Anderson, NEWSDAY

15% on the "Cream of the Crop" Reports.

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.