DVD Talk Forum

DVD Talk Forum (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/)
-   Movie Talk (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/movie-talk-17/)
-   -   Just Saw Matrix: Revolutions (Thoughts) (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/movie-talk/327962-just-saw-matrix-revolutions-thoughts.html)

Jackskeleton 11-07-03 12:04 PM

I was waiting for some big color changing hair cause the final fight was such a Dragon Ball Z rip off....

:p

Otto 11-07-03 12:24 PM

Yeah, the DragonBall Z at the end is so obvious that one couldn't help but see it. I wanted to shout "Kick his ass, Goku!"

jough 11-07-03 12:33 PM

I haven't heard any interviews because the brothers aren't doing interviews, Jack. They obviously left the possibility open.

Rogue588 11-07-03 12:38 PM

During Fishburne's interview on Conan this week, he said it was the last one.

kmac 11-07-03 12:48 PM

Saw it last night in a half crowded theater. Entertaining movie! F*** the critics and those who bash it.

Obviously, not as good as the first (possibly better than reloaded), but not many sequels are!

Return of the Jedi?
Last Crusade?
Alien 3?
Goldmember?
Superman 3?
Godfather 3?

I know that these are all different kinds of movies, but the same principle applies. We get used to it and it isn't new to us anymore.

Hopefully, ROTK will be the exception.

I look forward to the complete DVD set of the Matrix trilogy.

Jackskeleton 11-07-03 01:23 PM

Originally posted by jough
I haven't heard any interviews because the brothers aren't doing interviews, Jack. They obviously left the possibility open.

they've mentioned it in various interviews (reeves, carrie ann, and the rest of the cast) stating that this was the last one and they would be no way to continue it. it's over.

Rypro 525 11-07-03 01:28 PM

I just hope they will do a commentary for the rumored matrix trilogy special edtitions.

Philip Reuben 11-07-03 01:44 PM

Originally posted by Jackskeleton
they've mentioned it in various interviews (reeves, carrie ann, and the rest of the cast) stating that this was the last one and they would be no way to continue it. it's over.
The statement that "this was the last one" isn't one that's fixed for eternity. Minds can change, and eventually they might.

The statement that "there would be no way to continue it" is obviously false. It was left wide open for a sequel.

I'm not saying there will be a sequel, I still think it's quite unlikely, but it seems silly for us to say that there absolutely definitely never will be.

Daytrip 11-07-03 01:48 PM

Originally posted by Philip Reuben
The statement that "this was the last one" isn't one that's fixed for eternity. Minds can change, and eventually they might.

The statement that "there would be no way to continue it" is obviously false. It was left wide open for a sequel.

I'm not saying there will be a sequel, I still think it's quite unlikely, but it seems silly for us to say that there absolutely definitely never will be.

thank you Mr. Pink

Philip Reuben 11-07-03 01:52 PM

Originally posted by darkessenz
1) -Is the architect the one who solicits Neo's help, or is it some greater external Machine AI?
Its appearance is lots of floating machines that have formed into a face, and its voice is lot of voices speaking simultaneously. Since it doesn't appear to be one machine, I don't think it could be the Architect. I think it's the AI of lots of machines, perhaps the machines that are the most important/powerful in the machine world or something.

2) The programs in the Matrix seem to operate on their own level of AI, a second generation of AI if you will. Do the machines have one general intelligence? They seem to be at the bidding of the source. Intellectual hierarchy anyone?
The source can do stuff to them, but it can't directly control them. Individual programs like the ones that make up the family Neo meets in the train station are capable of disagreeing with the source, so I don't think there's any way all the programs could have one general intelligence. (I'm not sure this answers your question :S)

3) It seems like the Machines could have ended their deal with Neo after Neo helped the source destroy Smith. Does this mean they have "trust" or something?
At the very end, the Architect says that he won't go back on his word because he isn't human. I think this is meant to tell us that the machines and programs - all of them - will never go against their word, all other things being equal. It seems to me that if and when the war starts again, the humans will be the cause of it.

Philip Reuben 11-07-03 01:54 PM

Originally posted by Daytrip
thank you Mr. Pink
Is this a reference to Reservoir Dogs? I've never seen that movie :\

Rypro 525 11-07-03 02:00 PM

Is this a reference to Reservoir Dogs? I've never seen that movie :\
yep, steve bucemi (i don't get why he called you that but oh well)

Daytrip 11-07-03 02:19 PM

Originally posted by Rypro 525
yep, steve bucemi (i don't get why he called you that but oh well)
because of Mr. Pink's scene with Mr. White after they got back to the meeting place........about Mr. Pink only knowing for sure that he wasn't the rat

RocShemp 11-07-03 02:20 PM

For those who feel there’s still doubt regarding the ending of The Matrix Revolutions, the following pertains to the chorus heard during the final battle (and end credits) of this movie:

NEODAMMERUNG TEXT (FROM THE UPANISADS)
Isa Upanisad 11
vidyam cavidyam ca yas
tad vedobhayan saha
avidyaya mrtyum tintva
vidyayamrtam asnute

Katha Upanisad 6.7
indriyebhyah param mano
inanasah sattvam uttamam
sattvad adhi mahan atma
mahato ‘vyaktam uttamam

Beyond the senses is the mind, and beyond the mind is reason, its essence.
Beyond reason is the Spirit in man, and beyond this is the spirit of the universe,
the evolver of all. (Mascaró 65)

Katha Upanisad 6.10
yada pañeavatishante
jñanani manasa saha
buddhis ca na vicestate
tam ahuh paramam gatim

When the five senses and the mind are still, and the reason itself rests in silence, then
begins the Path supreme. (Mascaró 65)

Mundaka Upanisad 2.2.5
yasmin dyauh prthivi cantariksam otam manah saha pranais ca sarvaih
tam evaikam janatha atmanam anya vacah vimuñcatha amrtasya esah setuh

In him are woven the sky and the earth and all the regions of the air, and in him
rest the mind and all the powers of life. Know him as the ONE and leave aside all
other words. He is the bridge of immortality. (Mascaró 79)

Mundaka Upanisad 2.2.8
bhidyate hrdayagranthis
chidyante sarvasamsayah
ksiyante casya karmani
tasmin drste paravare

And when he is seen in his immanence and transcendence, then the ties that have
bound the heart are unloosened, the doubts of the mind vanish, and the law of
Karma works no more. (Mascaró 79)

Brhadaranyaka Upanisad 1.3.28
ásato ma sád gamaya
támaso ma jyótir gamaya
mrtyór mamrtam gamaya

From delusion lead me to Truth.

From darkness lead me to Light.
From death lead me to immortality. (Mascaró 127)

The preceding was taken from the booklet of The Matrix Revolutions: Music from the Motion Picture CD.

RocShemp 11-07-03 02:27 PM

Originally posted by condorito
On neo at the end
Spoiler:
smith died and he was the opposite of neo so neo had to die to balance the equation, or the anomaly would cause more unbalance
He lost trinity anyways and saved zion, no point in him living anyways

and yes trinity dragged way too long

Incorrect.
Spoiler:
Smith's existance balanced the equation (which is what the Architect was seeking to do). His acquiring the Oracle's powers and being used in such a manner to lead himself to his own demise unbalanced the equation (which is what the Oracle told Neo she wanted to achieve during their last meeeting).

Daytrip 11-07-03 02:36 PM

the architect didn't want smith unplugged, he just wanted neo to reload the matrix so smith and all the other programs could be reset.........no way the architect wanted smith reaking havoc inside his symphony of mathmatical precision

RocShemp 11-07-03 02:49 PM

My thoughts on what other people have said...

WARNING!
WARNING!
WARNING!
WARNING!
WARNING!

MAJOR UNMARKED SPOILERS AHEAD!

I think you misunderstood the ending of Reloaded. Neo was the One all along, but the One was not originally intended to be the person who would end the war, but the person who would choose the inhabitants of the new Zion when the old Zion is destroyed. The powers he has are because he is the One, and there is no concept of a "False One", but Neo saving humanity is not related to him being the One.

I hadn't seen Revolutions yet when I asked. I was working on what I "knew" from Reloaded. It was all made clear when I saw the movie yesterday.

But thanks for answering, just the same. :)

RocShemp 11-07-03 02:51 PM

the architect didn't want smith unplugged, he just wanted neo to reload the matrix so smith and all the other programs could be reset.........no way the architect wanted smith reaking havoc inside his symphony of mathmatical precision
Hey, I'm just working with what the cookie lady said in that scene. ;)

huzefa 11-07-03 02:58 PM

I liked the movie. After reading through (most) of this thread, I still only have one question. Why didn't they have more EMP weapons INSIDE zion? Just as a final backup plan that would take out any machines that might have come through?

Also, this movie rocked on the imax screen. I don't remember the last time I went to the IMAX (was very young), but the sound and the visuals were absolutely amazing. The battle scene with all the APU's pointing up was tremendous; I wish I had that shot for my wallpaper.

Daytrip 11-07-03 03:04 PM

no EMP's because it would knock out their own systems........which might include life support............don't think the Hammer's did though so as a backup they should have at least thought about it

RocShemp 11-07-03 03:08 PM

no EMP's because it would knock out their own systems........which might include life support............don't think the Hammer's did though so as a backup they should have at least thought about it
Too true but given the chewing out Niobe & Co. received from Locke because of their using the Hammer's EMP, I'm sure if anyone suggested such a backup plan before Locke simply shot them down and kept such a suggestion from reaching the council (as they would have probably overruled his decisions as before).

Kaiser Soze 11-07-03 03:12 PM

Saw it on Wednesday, thought it was good...not great. But I did enjoy it. The Zion battle was really cool. But it left me wanting something more. I know we already saw many great fight scenes in the first two films, but I was really looking forward to some great kung fu/kick ass scenes. I enjoyed it though.

One thing that I don't think anyone has touched on, was the music. It didn't really do anything for me, unlike the previous two films. I thought the music in the Matrix and Reloaded was just great! A few scenes that I can think of off the top of my head are the lobby shoot out music, the highway scene music, burly brawl, etc. The music in those scenes just fit perfectly! It just added so much. In Revolutions, I just didn't really think the music moved me like it did in the first two. Anyone else?

RocShemp 11-07-03 03:25 PM

Originally posted by Kaiser Soze
Saw it on Wednesday, thought it was good...not great. But I did enjoy it. The Zion battle was really cool. But it left me wanting something more. I know we already saw many great fight scenes in the first two films, but I was really looking forward to some great kung fu/kick ass scenes. I enjoyed it though.

One thing that I don't think anyone has touched on, was the music. It didn't really do anything for me, unlike the previous two films. I thought the music in the Matrix and Reloaded was just great! A few scenes that I can think of off the top of my head are the lobby shoot out music, the highway scene music, burly brawl, etc. The music in those scenes just fit perfectly! It just added so much. In Revolutions, I just didn't really think the music moved me like it did in the first two. Anyone else?

Though I personally loved the music in Revolutions ("Neodammerung"and "Navras" especially), I'm not suprised people wouldn't get the same vibe with music of this film since it moves away from the style of the first two films' scores and ismore orchestral in nature. The music of all three is great but the third is a big change (though hinted at in the music from the second and expanded from the music of the first - particularly the reverse chestburster scene) so it unsurprisingly may rub some the wrong way. In fact, I remember back in the temporary Reloaded subforum a poster was complaining about how the music in Reloaded was too "pretentious" as a opposed to the "gritty" music of The Matrix.

Daytrip 11-07-03 03:29 PM

Originally posted by RocShemp
Too true but given the chewing out Niobe & Co. received from Locke because of their using the Hammer's EMP, I'm sure if anyone suggested such a backup plan before Locke simply shot them down and kept such a suggestion from reaching the council (as they would have probably overruled his decisions as before).
a sentinel should have fallen on locke..........or even better morpheus should have kicke him in the junk

RocShemp 11-07-03 03:40 PM

a sentinel should have fallen on locke..........or even better morpheus should have kicke him in the junk
Glad to know I wasn't the only one who thought this. But, then again, I suppose the brothers assumed it'd be too easy to just kill him off... or something.

Maybe they should make a sequel for the specific purpose of killing of Locke. :D