DVD Talk Forum

DVD Talk Forum (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/)
-   Movie Talk (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/movie-talk-17/)
-   -   Just Saw Matrix: Revolutions (Thoughts) (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/movie-talk/327962-just-saw-matrix-revolutions-thoughts.html)

PixyJunket 11-07-03 07:14 AM

Well I saw it last night..

I went in hoping to like it.. and at parts I was REALLY excited because there was that sense of danger and hopelessness that the first movie portrayed so well..

but in the end, I think one word can summarize the movie best..

POINTLESS

I will return with more thoughts after I read through the thread.

rennervision 11-07-03 07:16 AM

Originally posted by trigun
The new Oracle was decent but I would've liked the movie a lot more if they had been able to make it with the late Glorai Foster. I groaned when the Oracle offered them candy - it just wasn't the same coming from the new actress.
You groaned, and I winced. Amazing how Gloria Foster's role was so brief, yet when she left us, she left such a very big hole in the trilogy.

pro-bassoonist 11-07-03 08:14 AM

Saw it....liked it a lot! I have quite a few questions though....will see it again after the crowds are gone.

All 6 shows were sold out last night after 7.00pm!!

cdollaz 11-07-03 08:26 AM

I was bored as hell.

Capo2002 11-07-03 08:56 AM

I think most of the people that are bitching about this movie didn't like it because they had extremely high expectations going into it. Big mistake. I learned my lesson after watching SW:Episode 1, which is one of the most horrible films ever made.

PixyJunket 11-07-03 08:57 AM

Okay.. what I REALLY like about Revolutions was getting to see so much of the real world/machine world. That is probably what fascinated me the most of the first movie, getting to see that really cool post-apocalyptic machine world. There was plenty of eye-candy for me in this movie. I was fond of that. But as I stated before, it does appear that a lot goes nowhere, espically things setup in Reloaded, making my opinion of THAT movie even less. After reading through the thread I have come to the conclusion that the ending had a little more substance that I thought when I first walked out of the theater.. BUT it's still left in an almost "Okay, there's peace, but for how long, was it worth it, and was there really a point?".. but I digress.

I think my single favorite moment of the moment, which nobody mentioned yet, is when Neo and Trinity fly over the scorched sky. My jaw was on the floor then, it was a visual masterpiece in my opinion..

I still think the movie was pretty weak, and sadly there's not much I can make good fun of like I could in Reloaded. I still say the first movie was excellent, and had a perfect ending.

chanster 11-07-03 09:08 AM

Did anyone feel the W. Bros really ripped off Dark City's final battle? I felt like I was watching a poorly done rip-off of the end.

There were a lot of problems with this movie...

PixyJunket 11-07-03 09:10 AM

Isn't Dark City the movie cited as being the biggest movie they ripped off from the original Matrix?

Daytrip 11-07-03 09:41 AM

Originally posted by PixyJunket
Well I saw it last night..

I went in hoping to like it.. and at parts I was REALLY excited because there was that sense of danger and hopelessness that the first movie portrayed so well..

but in the end, I think one word can summarize the movie best..

POINTLESS

I will return with more thoughts after I read through the thread.

i didn't expect anything less out of you Pixy

PixyJunket 11-07-03 09:44 AM

Originally posted by Daytrip
i didn't expect anything less out of you Pixy
Hey, I liked it MUCH better than Reloaded, it was visually stunning but still overall cerberally unsatisfying.

Daytrip 11-07-03 10:01 AM

Hey, I liked it MUCH better than Reloaded, it was visually stunning but still overall cerberally unsatisfying.
just messing with you man.........i agree with you though, the whole peace thing is a little unsatisfying to say the least

spankyj 11-07-03 10:18 AM

I saw it last night. I watched it in the worst theater I've ever experienced, so I have to go watch it again.

My early impressions though reside with the lack of Matrix time in the movie. To me, that is the best part of the Trilogy. I loved the second movie because of this, and I enjoyed the glimpse of Zion that they gave us. (Read Rave Scene).

But for the third film, it was mainly the outside world with only a glimpse of the Matrix. I was most excited about seeing the Merovingian scene, but unfortunately it only lasted 2 minutes. The trainman sequence was interesting, but too short for my liking as well. Perhaps I'm in the minority, but I wanted more of the second film.

I'm gonna see it again this weekend, but now my expectations for "Matrix-time" are seriously altered. It's a good film, don't get me wrong, just not what I prefer from the Matrix trilogy.

Of course the AWFUL theater that I saw it in probably made me more critical of the movie than I should have been. Come Tuesday, I should have a much better idea about the movie.

shadowhawk2020 11-07-03 10:27 AM

Isn't Dark City the movie cited as being the biggest movie they ripped off from the original Matrix?

dIDN'T DARK CITY COME OUT FIRST?

kmac 11-07-03 10:31 AM

Well, I saw it last night. The theater was a large 75ft screen stadium seating and it wasn't even half full!

I do not know what the big deal is.

It was not as good as the first one, but was still entertaining. I enjoyed it very much and cannot wait to see it again when it comes out on DVD.

Many questions were answered for me. It really did feel like closure for the most part. I understood the ending while watching the movie. It was not that confusing.

I do not see a sequel in the future, but they left the door ajar just in case.

pro-bassoonist 11-07-03 10:35 AM

Originally posted by chanster
Did anyone feel the W. Bros really ripped off Dark City's final battle? I felt like I was watching a poorly done rip-off of the end.

There were a lot of problems with this movie...

I did not.

Daytrip 11-07-03 10:42 AM

i don't really see any dark city rip-offs

Ralph Wiggum 11-07-03 11:00 AM

Originally posted by Daytrip
I think the first one is the movie which "borrows" the most from Dark City.

Daytrip 11-07-03 11:03 AM

i can certainly see a resemblance, they have similarities for sure...........now if neo was able to tune the matrix then i'd say they ripped it off for sure........oh wait

Rypro 525 11-07-03 11:13 AM

wasn't it pure coincidence that dark city and Matrix 1 were similar in terms of themes and plot, since they came out at the same time.

darkessenz 11-07-03 11:15 AM

I went and saw it last night, and the biggest mystery to me is the terrible ratings.

It was definitely better then Reloaded, though it suffered from the same problems with terrible romantic dialogue.

Some questions---

1) -Is the architect the one who solicits Neo's help, or is it some greater external Machine AI?

2) The programs in the Matrix seem to operate on their own level of AI, a second generation of AI if you will. Do the machines have one general intelligence? They seem to be at the bidding of the source. Intellectual hierarchy anyone?

3) It seems like the Machines could have ended their deal with Neo after Neo helped the source destroy Smith. Does this mean they have "trust" or something?

4) How about Morpheus as "John the Baptist?"<---the one who prophesizes about the One before he arrives.

5) Sati the name...here is some info I found

Though Sati is considered a Hindu custom, the women, known as Sati in Hindu religious literature, did not commit suicide on their dead husband's pyre. The first woman known as Sati was the consort of Lord Shiva. She burnt herself in fire as protest against her father who did not give her consort Shiva the respect she thought he deserved, while burning herself she prayed to reborn again as the new consort of Shiva, which she became and her name in the new incarnation was Parvati.

Other famous woman in Hindu literature titled Sati was Savitri. When Savitri's husband Satyavan died, the Lord of death, Yama arrived to take his soul. Savitri begged Yama to restore Satyavan and take her life instead, which he could not do. So Savitri followed Lord Yama a long way. After a long way in which Yama noticed that Savitri was losing strength but was still following him and her dead husband, Yama offered Savitri a boon, anything other than her husband's life. Savitri asked to have children from Satyavan. In order to give Savitri her boon, Lord Yama had no choice but to restore Satyavan to life and so Savitri gained her husband back.

These two women along with other women in Hindu mythology who were exceptionally devoted to their husbands symbolized the truthful Indian wife who would do everything for their husband and they were named Sati. The meaning of the word sati is righteous. But as written earlier the women named Sati, in Hindu religious literature, did not commit suicide on their dead husband's pyre. Therefore the custom of burning the widow on her dead husband's pyre probably did not evolve from religious background but from social background.

from http://adaniel.tripod.com/sati.htm

I don't know if it has any significance.

iggystar 11-07-03 11:24 AM

Originally posted by spankyj
My early impressions though reside with the lack of Matrix time in the movie. To me, that is the best part of the Trilogy. I loved the second movie because of this, and I enjoyed the glimpse of Zion that they gave us. (Read Rave Scene).

But for the third film, it was mainly the outside world with only a glimpse of the Matrix. I was most excited about seeing the Merovingian scene, but unfortunately it only lasted 2 minutes. The trainman sequence was interesting, but too short for my liking as well. Perhaps I'm in the minority, but I wanted more of the second film.

We may be in the minority, but several previous posts have mentioned this as well. If there weren't a Reloaded then I probably wouldn't be complaining as much. But the interesting characters set up in Reloaded not used in Revolutions was disappointing.

Kal-El 11-07-03 11:36 AM

Originally posted by shadowhawk2020
dIDN'T DARK CITY COME OUT FIRST?

Yes. Which is why Pixy said ripped off from.

chanster 11-07-03 11:36 AM

hmm, how about the neo/smith final fight? I mean we have (SPOLIERS ABOUT DARK CITY -
Spoiler:
2 dudes flying all over the city at night crashing into buildings, with neat little ripple effects ......thats exactly how dark city ended. heck revolutions even ends with a nice little sunrise (early morning scene)
just like Dark City.

Daytrip 11-07-03 11:51 AM

so how could the neo/smith fight be different? should we count up all the movies that end with sunsets?

chanster 11-07-03 11:58 AM

How could it be different? Well thats not my job. However, as a filmgoer I like to take note of how unoriginal something was - and the final fight was pretty damn unoriginal, especially since how much the original Matrix resembled Dark City.