DVD Talk Forum

DVD Talk Forum (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/)
-   Movie Talk (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/movie-talk-17/)
-   -   Movies you've Never seen on the Big Screen but would like to ? (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/movie-talk/327294-movies-youve-never-seen-big-screen-but-would-like.html)

Original Desmond 10-31-03 02:19 AM

Movies you've Never seen on the Big Screen but would like to ?

I'd like to see Nightmare on Elm st 1 on the big screen, Enter the Dragon , actually all Bruce Lee films, Last House on the left, Cannibal Holocaust, the Story of Ricky, the Man with the Golden Gun and a few other early Bonds and the Great Escape

Mondo Kane 10-31-03 04:39 AM

2001:A Space Odyssey
Eraserhead
Apocalypse Now
Raging Bull
Pink Flamingos
The Wild Bunch
Fantasia
The Road Warrior
The Phantom of the Opera ('25)
Bonnie & Clyde
The Texas Chainsaw Massacre ('74)
Coffy
The Evil Dead
The Warriors
A Clockwork Orange

Any Kurosawa film
Any Leone film
Any (Early) Bakshi film

Enter the Dragon , actually all Bruce Lee films,
Same here!

Crocker Jarmen 10-31-03 05:06 AM

Y'know, for the longest time I didn't think there was any difference between seeing a movie on the big screen and watching at home on the TV. 'A movie's a movie' I'd say. Then when I was 17, I saw A Clockwork Orange on the big screen, which I had seen many many times before, and suddenly it was a whole different film. It was a hundred times more beautiful, violent, and frightening than the it had been the half dozen times I'd seen it before. Since then, I would love the oppertunity to see any of my favorite films on the big screen if I didn't catch them during their theatrical run.

matome 10-31-03 07:40 AM

Aliens

Mutley Hyde 10-31-03 07:43 AM

Originally posted by Mondo Kane
Any (Early) Bakshi film
I saw Wizards back in the day, several times, on the big screen. God, those were the days.

I'd like to see Dirty Harry, and Polanski's Macbeth. There are others for sure, but it's early in the morning, and the old noggin' ain't up to speed yet. ;)

wendersfan 10-31-03 08:24 AM

Napoleon, directed by Abel Gance.
Intolerance, directed by DW Griffith
The Searchers, directed by John Ford

I've actually seen most of the other films that would be likely contenders, like Potemkin, Citizen Kane, 2001, Lawrence of Arabia, The Sacrifice, The Wild Bunch, The Godfather, Seven Samurai, etc. I guess I'm lucky. I actually saw Potemkin once with the Shostakovich score performed by a live orchestra. Nice...

marty888 10-31-03 08:33 AM

As has been said, any decent film will be better on the big screen.

Ones that I particularly wish I had seen on a big screen are usually the movies that really made use of the widescreen - <b>Cliffhanger</b> for example.

PalmerJoss 10-31-03 08:41 AM

The Godfather 1 and 2
Apocalypse Now
Jaws
Lawrence of Arabia
A Fist Full Of Dollars
For A Few Dollars More
The Good, The Bad, and The Ugly
Once Upon A Time In The West
Scarface

chanster 10-31-03 09:17 AM

Aliens.

My friend and his mom took me to see Aliens when I was 10, it literally scared me to death. We had to leave almost 30 minutes in and I was scared for about a month afterwords. I finally landed up seeing it at home, but I would like to see it again on the big screenm.

I saw 2001 awhile ago at a midnight movie showing in Dallas, it looked great,although the print was pretty bad.

javanut 10-31-03 09:51 AM

I saw The Graduate on the big screen once in Philly and it forever changed the way I look at that film. SUCH a different viewing experience.

Banky 10-31-03 10:27 AM

Rear Window
Planet Of The Apes
Original Texas Chainsaw Massacre
Raiders of the lost arch

gmal2003 10-31-03 10:31 AM

The Matrix
X
Goodfellas
Unbreakable
Fight Club

Caliking 10-31-03 12:38 PM

Donnie Darko
Cube
Unbreakable

Javanut: The Graduate is the movie that got me into movies. It had the same effect, I looked at movies in a totally different way. cool to see someone with this in common.

PixyJunket 10-31-03 01:16 PM

Requiem for a Dream

Corvin 10-31-03 01:20 PM

The Crow.

PixyJunket 10-31-03 01:35 PM

Originally posted by Corvin
The Crow.
Neener neener, saw this on the big screen last weekend.

jaeufraser 10-31-03 02:15 PM

Raiders of the Lost Ark
Apocalypse Now
Blade Runner - oooooh I'd love to see this sucker on a big ol screen in top quality format....

Corvin 10-31-03 02:59 PM

Originally posted by PixyJunket
Neener neener, saw this on the big screen last weekend.
How?

PixyJunket 10-31-03 03:30 PM

Originally posted by Corvin
How?
Many theaters in Dallas have "Midnight Matinee" nights over the weekend, where they play cult or theme movies. Tonight my choices for theater viewing are Nightmare Before Chirstmas or a double feature Texas Cahinsaw Massacre and Poltergiest with director Tobe Hooper in the audience.

Corvin 10-31-03 03:39 PM

Lucky.

I wish The Music Box played The Crow. . .

PixyJunket 10-31-03 03:43 PM

Check with your art house theaters or pick up a college newspaper.
Chicago is big, I'd assume somebody there has to play old movie every now and then!

Pants 10-31-03 05:21 PM

And now in an effort to be a big show-off prick I will tell you all the film ya'll have mentioned that I HAVE seen on the big screen.

Apocalypse Now
Raging Bull
Bonnie & Clyde
A Clockwork Orange
Any Kurosawa film (Seven Samurai, Stray Dog, Bad Sleep Well, Throne of Blood)
Lawrence of Arabia
The Godfather
Jaws
Rear Window
Raiders of the Lost Ark
Goodfellas
The Crow
Requiem for a Dream
Fight Club
Poltergiest
Blade Runner
Nightmare Before Chirstmas

...and many more.

DeputyDave 10-31-03 05:36 PM

FOTR:EE and TTT:EE

wendersfan 10-31-03 05:41 PM

Originally posted by Pants
And now in an effort to be a big show-off prick I will tell you all the film ya'll have mentioned that I HAVE seen on the big screen.

Apocalypse Now
Raging Bull
Bonnie & Clyde
A Clockwork Orange
Any Kurosawa film (Seven Samurai, Stray Dog, Bad Sleep Well, Throne of Blood)
Lawrence of Arabia
The Godfather
Jaws
Rear Window
Raiders of the Lost Ark
Goodfellas
The Crow
Requiem for a Dream
Fight Club
Poltergiest
Blade Runner
Nightmare Before Chirstmas

...and many more.

That's OK. Every film you listed that I would ever want to see in a theater, I have. :)

Some multiple times. Being old isn't all bad.

movielib 10-31-03 06:41 PM

Originally posted by wendersfan
That's OK. Every film you listed that I would ever want to see in a theater, I have. :)

Some multiple times. Being old isn't all bad.

:up: Me too.