Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Movie Talk
Reload this Page >

Yet Another Star Wars OT Thread (City of Angels FF screening related)

Community
Search
Movie Talk A Discussion area for everything movie related including films In The Theaters

Search this Thread

Old 10-27-03, 01:46 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Read this on AICN. It's not from Harry but from someone who actually caught the screening. Apparently, they've changed the OT again. Some good, some bad:

Today I attended that screening of Star Wars: Special Edition here in L.A. at the City of Angels Film Festival. As you mentioned on your site, this was the Special Edition print, not the original cut. Special Edition or not, it's always cool to see Star Wars on the big screen.

But there was something unusual about this screening.

This was not the Special Edition print that is on VHS. There were changes in this print - specifically, the lightsabers in the Obi/Vader duel were enhanced. This has been a nitpicky thing since the SEs were released: why didn't they fix the rotoscoping on the lightsabers? Well, in this print (which, strangely, was not a new looking print) the sabers WERE fixed. Obi-Wan's saber was brilliant blue and Vader's saber was bright red (not white) in every shot - even in the shot as the blast doors are closing. In the shot where Ben's saber is pointed at the camera (where it suddenly looks like a stick) it was correctly filled in and had a glorious blue glow. I wasn't imagining things because the guy next to me immediately whispered, "Did you see that?!"

There was one other minor change as well. In the first binary sunset shot as Luke is walking out of the homestead, the lower right sun had CG clouds passing in front of it. I came home and checked my VHS copy -- no clouds. It seems a few changes were slipped into this print since the initial release.

Perhaps this seems like minor stuff, but the lightsabers have bothered me for years. I'm happy to report they HAVE been fixed. Hopefully soon, everyone else will get a chance to see it on DVD.
Anybody else here who was also able to attend this and confirm?
Old 10-27-03, 02:01 PM
Retired

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Hope those are real. That's the kind of stuff I don't mind being improved. Honestly, greedo shooting first was the only problem I had with any of the changes in the SEs.
Old 10-27-03, 06:33 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
I for one actually prefer the se vs. the original edition.
Old 10-27-03, 06:45 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I like the SE's too, and minor changes like this are great by me. I also hate how they changed story-line things, though, like Greedo or the cut to Coruscant in ROTJ, and taking out the "yub yub" song was the worst.

If someone gets mad at the lightsabers being more brilliant, or the glass in front of the snakes in Raiders being removed, well....too bad for them I guess. I personally like to enjoy movies - I don't need "the pristine theatrical release" to do that.
Old 10-28-03, 06:24 PM
Banned

George Lucas = The. Most. Secure. Director. In. The. History. Of. Film.
Old 10-28-03, 06:36 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1,408 Likes on 1,031 Posts
My only hope is that George changes these movies so much, he realizes that they're practically new movies and releases both versions on DVD: original threatrical and Archival Editions.

You know, I'd rather he just remake the damn things entirely with Ashton Kutcher, Britney Spears and the lot and just leave the originals alone.

-----------------------------------------------------

A related thought, if he does release the original versions on DVD, would you like all the lightsabers and matte lines redone, but nothing else? Or totally left alone? I have to say I'd like to see the FX cleaned up, but nothing else.
Old 10-29-03, 05:07 PM

Originally posted by milo bloom
My only hope is that George changes these movies so much, he realizes that they're practically new movies and releases both versions on DVD: original threatrical and Archival Editions.

You know, I'd rather he just remake the damn things entirely with Ashton Kutcher, Britney Spears and the lot and just leave the originals alone.

-----------------------------------------------------

A related thought, if he does release the original versions on DVD, would you like all the lightsabers and matte lines redone, but nothing else? Or totally left alone? I have to say I'd like to see the FX cleaned up, but nothing else.
1) Britney Spears in the Leia outfit from RotJ? I might not be totally opposed to this...

2) If the original is released on DVD, it should be, well, the original. If anything is cleaned up, it's no longer the original, right?
Old 10-29-03, 05:23 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Yes, I hope they do clean up the lightsabers and anything else that can be just touched up. It is still the same damn movie.

As I said above, I'm opposed to storyline changes though.
Old 10-29-03, 09:56 PM
Suspended

Originally posted by Rypro 525
I for one actually prefer the se vs. the original edition.
ditto