Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Movie Talk
Reload this Page >

Conan The Barbarian? better than Destroyer?

Community
Search
Movie Talk A Discussion area for everything movie related including films In The Theaters

Search this Thread

Old 10-26-03, 11:24 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I've only seen Conan The Destroyer and I loved the movie. I especially liked the different characters (Grace Jones), the oriental wizard, and of course Arnold. Is Conan The Barbarian pretty much the same, or is it better or worst than Destroyer? I noticed that there is a Collectors Edition out for Barbarian and may pick it up. How would you guys rate it? Of course, I'm not looking for an epic Oscar award winning movie, but rather an entertaining, cheesy and classic Arnold film.
Old 10-26-03, 11:38 AM

The first Conan movie, is the only Conan movie, for me. "Conan the Barbarian" is a far better movie. "Conan the Destroyer" reminds me of a made for T.V. movie, compared to "Conan the Barbarian". That's just my opinion though. I would suggest getting the DVD. I think you will like it bettert than "Destroyer".
Old 10-26-03, 12:56 PM
Emeritus Reviewer

Two words: Sandahl Bergman! Yum!
Old 10-26-03, 02:21 PM

The first Conan movie is a much better and darker story than Conan the Destroyer, but I like both of them. If you like Conan the Destroyer, then I am sure you will like Conan the Barbarian just as much.
Old 10-26-03, 02:55 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Oh, you're in for a nice surprise.
Old 10-26-03, 05:00 PM

I also prefer conan the destroyer over the first movie.. when conan the destroyer was released in theatres.. it got a PG rating. I have been working to get Universal to release the uncut version of conan the destroyer.. the "R" Rated cut. I have a site on Ms. Sarah Douglas. She played Queen Taramis in Conan The Destroyer. here is a link to my site and you read more about the petition to get the uncut released on dvd.
www.angelfire.com/ca4/sarahdouglas

JACOB
Old 10-26-03, 06:13 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Barbarian is sooooooo far superior is not even funny. Three words: James. Earl. Jones.
Old 10-26-03, 06:32 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Barbarian: Excellent fantasy movie, with lots of nudity and blood!
Destoryer: Cheesy action movie with little or no nudity and blood.

You do the math.
Old 10-26-03, 11:44 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Moving to Movie Talk Forum.

- David Stein
Old 10-27-03, 12:33 AM
Banned

Barbarian hands down.

Shit, not even Arnold liked Destroyer.
Old 10-27-03, 12:41 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

when conan the destroyer was released in theatres.. it got a PG rating
Of course it did, that was a deliberate move by the studio to make it more appealing to children. And it shows.

As most others say, Barbarian is a far superior film.
Old 10-27-03, 03:31 AM
TCG
DVD Talk Special Edition

Barbarian has a deeper story, more drama. overall, its better. plus it has one the greatest opening montages ever. and the DVD: SE commentary is worth the price alone.

but Destroyer does have Olivia D'abo.
Old 10-27-03, 06:07 AM

somewhere locked away at unviersal is the full uncut version of conan the destroyer.. it still might be better then barbarian.. but will probably be better then the version that we got.
think of it like like the new legend dvd..
JACOB
Old 10-27-03, 09:00 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 19 Likes on 15 Posts
let's just pretend that Conan the Barbarian was the only Conan movie ever made...mmmmkay?
Old 10-27-03, 09:01 AM

Received 97 Likes on 80 Posts
Barbarian was a much better film, IMO.
Old 10-27-03, 12:09 PM

I saw destroyer first when I was little because it was on HBO like everyday one summer. Plus I had only seen a chopped up NBC version of the Barbarian. All I rememered was a big fake-looking snake. Now that I'm (a lot) older and wiser I understand better. (but I still don't mind destroyer).
Old 10-27-03, 01:23 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

I prefer Barbarian over Destroyer. It has one of my favorite movie quotes in it;

"Infidel defilers, they will all drown in lakes of blood. Now they will know why they are afraid of the dark. Now they learn why they fear the night." - Thulsa Doom
Old 10-27-03, 01:50 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Thanks for the input, guys. I just puchased Conan The Barbarian: CE from Circuit CIty for $14.99. I"ll probably be watching it tonight! I'm so excited!
Old 10-27-03, 03:00 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Arghh! I'm such an idiot. I did some searching on this forum and found that there is a R4 Conan The Barbarian movie that has DD 5.1 sound, which apparently is leaps and bounds better than the Mono 2 channel soundtrack on the Universal release. I already opened my Universal copy, so I may have to double dip, just for that extra 5.1 soundtrack. I heard conflicting views on it though. Some say that the 5.1 track is awesome, but on this review it says you can barely hear any activity from the surround speakers except for the musical score : http://www.dvd.net.au/goto.cgi?http:...review_id=1400
Old 10-27-03, 03:20 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

you can say shit here?

anyway, destroyer sucked eggs. wasn't wilt the stilt chamberlain there? and the d'abo chick was annoying.
Old 10-27-03, 03:50 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 30 Likes on 23 Posts
Barbarian better? Lot on your knife!

For my taste, the problem with Barbarian is that it is too serious. There is very little sense of levity and no characters to empathize with. Yes, it has the blood and the nudity, but little sense of fun. And ultimately, the feeling that you really didn't give a damn whether Conan survived or not.

Destroyer is campy in a Krull sorta way. Really cheesy, hammily acted, but at least it is fun. A solid Saturday afternnon adventure flick. And in a way, it signalled the direction that Arnold was going to take. The same degree of cheese basically became a staple of his flicks (except for the first Terminator film.)

Plus, no one plays drunk like Arnold!
Old 10-27-03, 03:54 PM
Retired

Originally posted by joeydaninja
you can say shit here?
Recent rule change.

http://www.dvdtalk.com/forum/showthr...ht=free+speech
Old 10-27-03, 06:32 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 26 Likes on 14 Posts
Both are good on their own merits. They're certainly different styles. I enjoyed Destroyer for its campy fun... besides, Grace Jones is the man!
Old 10-28-03, 12:34 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

I'll include myself in the camp of I enjoyed both of the films, it just depends on what I'm in the mood to watch. However, I do prefer Conan the Barbarian over Destroyer, if someone asked, "which should we watch?" As others have suggested...James Earl Jones OWNED this flick.

I'd also say that if you have the capability to watch other regions, and there's a 5.1 version of Conan, I say go for it. Even if it's "just for the music"...the music in this film shows how good a score can be and how much it can work with a film.

"It is I, his chronicler, who alone can tell thee of his saga. Let me tell you of the days of high adventure!"

"Yes! You know what it is don't you boy. Shall I tell you? It's the least I can do. Steel isn't strong boy, flesh is stronger!Look around you. There, on the rocks; that beautiful girl. Come to me my child... That is strength boy! That is power! What is steel compared to the hand that wields it? Look at the strength in your body, the desire in your heart, I gave you this! Such a waste. Contemplate this on the tree of woe. Crucify him!"

and of course....

"My child, you have come to me my son. For who now is your father if it is not me? I am the well spring, from which you flow. When I am gone, you will have never been. What would your world be, without me? My son."

Followed by probably my first experience of
Spoiler:
arterial spray
Old 10-28-03, 09:37 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Barbarian. Hands down. This was the first movie I played on my big screen when I got it. When those horsemen first entered the village I think I messed myself.

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.