Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Movie Talk
Reload this Page >

Music In Movies That's Not On The Soundtrack?

Community
Search
Movie Talk A Discussion area for everything movie related including films In The Theaters

Search this Thread

Old 10-24-03, 05:49 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I was putting together a list of songs and I noticed often there are quite a few songs that you hear in movies that aren't included in their soundtrack releaseses.

There are 2 songs that I can't find the title's of.....maybe someone here can help

One is from Pulp Fiction....the scene where Mia and Vincent are walking into Jack Rabbit Slims. What is the name of the song that one guy is playing on stage??

The second is in an old move called The Wanderers. There is a scene where Richie and his friend are playing strip poker with 2 other girls....I can't find the name of the song for the life of me.

If anyone knows, please help

And while we are on the subject, what are some other great songs that were in a movie but not included on the soundtrack?? Any favorites?

Thanks for the help!
Old 10-24-03, 05:58 PM

My best guess would be that it has something to do with rights issues.
Old 10-24-03, 10:31 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 15 Likes on 13 Posts
The one from PF is "Waitin' In School," performed by Gary Shorelle. Shorelle is a Ricky Nelson impersonator. I'm guessing it was performed live in the film and it is part of his act at the real JackRabbit Slim's.
Old 10-24-03, 10:43 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally posted by Drexl
The one from PF is "Waitin' In School," performed by Gary Shorelle. Shorelle is a Ricky Nelson impersonator. I'm guessing it was performed live in the film and it is part of his act at the real JackRabbit Slim's.

I hope you're kidding... I was with you up until you said, "I'm guessing it was performed live in the film and it is part of his act at the real JackRabbit Slim's." A) No music is performed live on a film shoot. B) Jack Rabbit Slim's is a made-up resturaunt. Tarentino thought it up and the studio built the set.

But to answer the original question, yes it's "Waitin' In School" by Ricky Nelson.
Old 10-25-03, 01:56 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 15 Likes on 13 Posts
Originally posted by mikewendt
I hope you're kidding... I was with you up until you said, "I'm guessing it was performed live in the film and it is part of his act at the real JackRabbit Slim's." A) No music is performed live on a film shoot. B) Jack Rabbit Slim's is a made-up resturaunt. Tarentino thought it up and the studio built the set.
Um, yeah, I was kidding.

No, I thought it was real when I saw the menu in the CE. Damn you Miramax!
Old 10-25-03, 08:03 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

That's what I love about DVDTalk....whenever the slightest detail is suspected to be inaccurate somebody jumps in and says something

I remember watching Blade 2, and the song that was in the rave/club scene was also not in the soundtrack. I had to do a search on a few other forums to find the name of that one.
Old 10-25-03, 08:14 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Just about all of the songs save "Mad World" was omitted from the Donnie Darko soundtrack for budgetary reasons.
Old 10-25-03, 08:20 AM

The awesome Godspeed You Black Emperor! song from the wandering-through-deserted-London part of 28 Days Later isn't on the soundtrack. Mostly just since the track is about 20 minutes long and would take up 1/3 of the disc.
Old 10-25-03, 08:24 AM
Admin Emeritus

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Since this is about movies, and not features specific to a DVD, moving to Movie Talk.
Old 10-25-03, 08:59 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally posted by Static Cling
Since this is about movies, and not features specific to a DVD, moving to Movie Talk.
I realized that last night after I posted the thread. Accept my apologies.
Old 10-25-03, 09:24 AM
DVD Talk Reviewer

Received 35 Likes on 31 Posts
Wim Wenders Until the End of the World, which has one of the absolute best CD soundtracks EVER (including new material by Talking Heads, Elvis Costello, Lou Reed, The Bad Seeds, Jane Siberry, U2), does not have a pivotal song played near the end of the film.

I'm not sure who sang it (Peter Gabriel?), but its absence on the soundtrack was only an initial disappointment until I heard the rest of the tracks.

Last edited by Pointyskull; 10-25-03 at 09:28 AM.
Old 10-25-03, 09:32 AM

Received 122 Likes on 84 Posts
As a slight tangent, music is sometimes performed live for movies. For example, this was done on The Commitments.
Old 10-26-03, 08:23 AM
Banned

Disco Duck isn't on the SATURDAY NIGHT FEVER soundtrack, what a bummer.
Old 10-26-03, 10:42 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1,408 Likes on 1,031 Posts
There's lots of music done for the last 2 Star Wars flicks that hasn't been on the CDs. I believe the LOTR films are like that too. I have heard rumblings of a mega CD boxset down the road for LOTR though.
Old 10-27-03, 06:34 AM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 913 Likes on 648 Posts
Well yeah. LOTR is 3 hours long, and cd can only hold 90 minutes. There is probably an hour more you are missing.

I think a couple of the big offenders is Forrest Gump and Almost Famous.
Old 10-27-03, 08:00 AM

Received 164 Likes on 120 Posts
Originally posted by 12thmonkey
Wim Wenders Until the End of the World, which has one of the absolute best CD soundtracks EVER (including new material by Talking Heads, Elvis Costello, Lou Reed, The Bad Seeds, Jane Siberry, U2), does not have a pivotal song played near the end of the film.

I'm not sure who sang it (Peter Gabriel?), but its absence on the soundtrack was only an initial disappointment until I heard the rest of the tracks.
That's what I thought of when I saw this thread. The song ("Blood Of Eden") is performed by Gabriel and Kate Bush, and a far inferior version of the song shows up on one of Gabriel's albums (I think Us), with Kate Bush replaced by Sinead O'Conner.
Old 10-27-03, 08:30 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Where's those beautiful Nancy Williams score from Almost Famous??
Old 10-27-03, 12:42 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 114 Likes on 101 Posts
Re: Music In Movies That's Not On The Soundtrack?

Originally posted by jessecrx

The second is in an old move called The Wanderers. There is a scene where Richie and his friend are playing strip poker with 2 other girls....I can't find the name of the song for the life of me.

If anyone knows, please help

There's a few songs that play during the poker game. "Baby It's you" and "You really got a hold on me". I'm guessing that the one you're looking for is "Baby" cuz I kinda like that one myself.
Old 10-27-03, 12:58 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 204 Likes on 158 Posts
The music that played while The Bride confronts O-Ren (right after chopping off Sofie's arm) in Kill Bill isn't on the ST. Shame, I really liked it. Don't know what it is though.
Old 10-27-03, 01:00 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally posted by Dr. DVD
The music that played while The Bride confronts O-Ren (right after chopping off Sofie's arm) in Kill Bill isn't on the ST. Shame, I really liked it. Don't know what it is though.
Heh, I came into this thread expecting Jack to voice this exact response, however he knows the name of the song and I belive it's "Death Rides a Horse".. not sure who it's by though.
Old 10-27-03, 01:43 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 114 Likes on 101 Posts
Originally posted by Dr. DVD
"Death Rides a Horse" by Ennio Morricone.

Go here to listen to it. It's under the Italian name "From Man to Man" (Da uomo a uomo)
Old 10-27-03, 02:02 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Thanks for the link!!

Well.. I think I'll be creating a Kill Bill vol. 1 vol. 2 soundtrack or maybe Kill Bill vol. 1 B-sides.
Old 10-27-03, 09:21 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Re: Music In Movies That's Not On The Soundtrack?

Originally posted by jessecrx
One is from Pulp Fiction....the scene where Mia and Vincent are walking into Jack Rabbit Slims. What is the name of the song that one guy is playing on stage??
I have another from the Jack Rabbit Slims scene in Pulp Fiction. During the part when Mia and Vincent are talking about the five-dollar shake, there is this cool guitar riff playing in the background. Anyone know the name of this song? Thanks!
Old 10-28-03, 11:51 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 72 Likes on 53 Posts
The song the nerds play ("clap you hands everybody and every body clap you hands, its lamda lamda lamda and omega moo") isnt on the Revenge of the Nerds soundtrack. either is the song when tashi is riding the tricyle.

the song from the Wanders is "at the hop."
Old 10-28-03, 12:04 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Another song that wasnt on the soundtrack was the Matrix reloaded trailer and dvd song.

I dont know the name of the group but the song is featured in the soundtrack of the movie DRIVEN.

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.