Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Movie Talk
Reload this Page >

Bad prints and sound...what's the deal?

Community
Search
Movie Talk A Discussion area for everything movie related including films In The Theaters

Search this Thread

Old 10-24-03, 07:35 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

The last three movies I've seen (Kill Bill, Lost in Translation, POTC) all had unbelievably dirty, scratched and burned prints. Particularly POTC: thin green lines ran up the sceen the entire first two reels, the sound kept cutting in and out in various speakers. It was really distracting and disappointing.

I know prints are tough to maintain, but it seems to be getting worse lately. I don't remember ever having problems with a films presentation until about 5 years ago (maybe I just started noticing then...). Now, I can't recall the last time I saw a solid audio and visual presentation.

I'm paying 9 bucks plus popcorn to see these movies, they could at least take a little care to show them properly. It's getting to the point where I am almost not willing to see stuff in theaters, I'll wait for the DVD. I saw Kill Bill four days after it opened and the print was already beaten to hell, that's ridiculous. At least with digital projection, we'd get a relatively consistent presentation. Bring on the revolution!
Old 10-24-03, 08:04 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Location: (formerly known as Inglenook Hampendick) Fairbanks, Alaska!
Received 513 Likes on 353 Posts
Different theaters, mate. I saw U-571 in a crappy little strip mall in Melbourne, FL with my best bud and the sound was so bad I could hardly sit throught the thing. Here in Tallahassee we have the whole range of auditoriums from crappy (BBO - Beyond Body Odor Cinemark Theater) to sweet (AMC 20 in the mall).
Old 10-24-03, 04:41 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
What does POTC stand for?

Anyway, green lines are a sure sign that the print is being scratched by something, either by the projector or another piece of equipment. Sound cutting in and out could mean the optical sensor on the projector is dirty or the lever that keeps the film pressed against the sensor isn't adjusted properly.

The first thing you should do is call the theater sometime during the day and ask to speak with the general manager. The second thing you should do is go to the Web site for the chain that owns the theater and find the company's mailing address. Send them a letter and detail your problems. Let them know the staff of their theater is not doing their job.
Old 10-24-03, 10:59 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 11 Likes on 7 Posts
POTC (Pirates of the Carribean)