Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Movie Talk
Reload this Page >

scary movie 3: how was it?

Community
Search
Movie Talk A Discussion area for everything movie related including films In The Theaters

Search this Thread

Old 10-23-03, 11:35 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I plan on going tomorrow. The trailer was hilarious, but most of the reviews aren't good so far. So, I'm tryin to keep my hopes up for this movie.
Old 10-23-03, 11:36 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Location: City of the lakers.. riots.. and drug dealing cops.. los(t) Angel(e)s. ca.
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Don't know, it opens tomorrow.
Old 10-24-03, 07:29 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1,408 Likes on 1,031 Posts
Over at AICN, one of the reviewers said they hated the first two, but liked a lot of this one. It's by David Zucker, one of the guys that did Airplane.
Old 10-24-03, 08:06 AM
DVD Talk Legend

I'll check this out this weekend. As for the reviews, there probably haven't been too many parody movies that have gotten good ones anyway. I enjoyed the first two and am looking forward to this one regardless.
Old 10-24-03, 08:30 AM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

It's a Zucker film, so expect it to be along the lines of the Naked Gun. Leslie Neilson
Old 10-24-03, 11:49 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Did a screening of the movie, I didnt laugh much. The previews had a few scenes that were not in the movie. The funniest scenes for me are the Signs spoof with the
Spoiler:
"special" footage of the alien caught on tape

and George Carlin's cameo.
"D" for bad editing on the previews which kills most of the jokes. Wait for the rental.
Old 10-24-03, 05:52 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 729 Likes on 532 Posts
Anna Faris

Old 10-24-03, 08:48 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

I liked the first two. especially the first.

Zucker did a great job with this one. especially with a PG-13 rating. they mean it too. don't bring young kids to this one.

Leslie Nielson is back in classic form as the President.
Anna Faris is very good in the lead role and the other girl from the previous films is funny as well.

The crowd I saw it with laughed throughout the entire thing. It's some pretty sick and disgusting humor, but it is funny.

grade: B+
Old 10-25-03, 02:02 AM
DRG
DVD Talk Legend

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
It wasn't bad. It doesn't reach the heights of the Airplane, Naked Gun, or Hot Shots, but it's a definite improvement over Scary Movie 2. The biggest problems with the movie: 1) too many of the best jokes are spoiled in the trailer, and 2) the "story" is pretty pointless, even by spoof standards. I know this is a silly gripe, but at least Airplane, Naked Gun, even the other Scary Movies had some assemblance of a basic plot to hang the jokes on. This just seemed like they picked out their targets and randomly strung the scenes together. There were quite a few decent laughs, but nothing was side-splitting, cheeks hurting, tears-in-my-eyes funny. My favorite scene was
Spoiler:
the parody of the scene from Signs where the wife is pinned between the tree and a pickup
Old 10-25-03, 02:59 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 7 Likes on 1 Post
It had a few good laughs, but most of the comedy was flat. I liked the first two and I thought this one would be even better since it's helmed by zucker, but it wasn't better - it was worse. They didn't spoof enough movies, and one of the spoofs was pointless and they went on far too long with it. I won't say it was a waste of time to see, cuz alot of people seemed to enjoy it - but I just didn't find most of it very funny.
Old 10-25-03, 04:59 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Since the Wayans weren't involved, it was already better than the first two. But it's not exactly classic Zucker. Charlie Sheen is always great as a deadpan actor. Maybe if he was the main actor it would have been better. I thought the overall plot was okay. There was a lot of sexual/gross out jokes but not quite like the first two (which is good). Some genuinely good laughs. Probably one of the better parodies in years since parody movies have gone by the wayside.
Old 10-26-03, 12:34 AM

Originally posted by Trigger
It had a few good laughs, but most of the comedy was flat. I liked the first two and I thought this one would be even better since it's helmed by zucker, but it wasn't better - it was worse. They didn't spoof enough movies, and one of the spoofs was pointless and they went on far too long with it. I won't say it was a waste of time to see, cuz alot of people seemed to enjoy it - but I just didn't find most of it very funny.
It was really bad, david zucker sucks! They should have brought back the Waynes bros.
Old 10-26-03, 01:50 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 482 Likes on 318 Posts
I won't be seeing this movie, but as a big George Carlin fan I'm interested in the occasional appearance he makes in movies. Would someone mind telling me what his cameo is in this? Thanks.
Old 10-26-03, 01:52 AM
DVD Talk Legend

The Wayans Brothers sucked. The last thing they were involved with that was good was In Living Color. Wait, that was only good for the comedy of everybody else on the show (Jim Carrey, David Alan Grier, Jaime Foxx, basically anybody not assosicated with the Wayans family). The first two Scary Movie films are some of the worst pieces of film I have ever witnessed.

Putting a man's penis in someone's ear? Not funny. Pictures of small penises? Not funny. Penis humor not really funny when done in excess. It also didn't help the film was totally farking oblvious to the fact that film it was spoofing was a satire (unlike Shriek If You Know What You Did Last Friday the 13th, a funny spoof regarding recent horror films as of late, which had a whole gag regarding that the film it spoofing was a spoof itself). Now Scary Movie 2 is just awful. There is not one frame of film that is actually worth watching. It was a sad day in the careers of David Cross and James Woods.

Scary Movie 3 is a step-up from the previous two pieces of crap, but it's really not that funny on the whole. Enjoyable for the first viewing, will lose it's flavor in viewings after that. The gags are more "chuckle" funny than laughing out loud funny. As mentioned before, the plot is very thin. Just gags of jokes strung by one by one. Some jokes hit, some jokes miss. There is a lot of slapstick humor, which I enjoy over crude gross-out humor, so I easily would prefer it over the first two films. It does have crude gross-out humor (the "alien sightings" video tape comes to mind), but it's actually funny unlike any single joke in the first two films.

This isn't Zucker's finest moment, but you take what you can get. Hopefully one day we will get a spoof up to par with Airplane, Top Secret, and The Naked Gun films.

If you want a good recent spoof, go rent Shriek If You Know What You Did Last Friday the 13th before you make the trek to see Scary Movie 3. If you really do want to see Scary Movie 3, wait to DVD.

Last edited by Matthew Chmiel; 10-26-03 at 01:55 AM.
Old 10-26-03, 01:55 AM
DVD Talk Legend

I won't be seeing this movie, but as a big George Carlin fan I'm interested in the occasional appearance he makes in movies. Would someone mind telling me what his cameo is in this? Thanks.
Spoiler:
George Carlin plays The Architect in a spoof of The Matrix Reloaded. His scene lasts two minutes and isn't really isn't that funny. He makes some jokes about having sex with a chair and then the scene ends.
Old 10-26-03, 01:32 AM
TCG
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally posted by NYSoprano
It was really bad, david zucker sucks! They should have brought back the Waynes bros.
great post. if you're so high on the Wayne's bros., you might wanna know how to spell their name.

the Zuckers are geniuses. Airplane, Naked Gun 1-3, etc.
Old 10-26-03, 01:46 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally posted by NYSoprano
I agree with this guy, i can't stand Leslie Nielson either!
Old 10-26-03, 03:07 AM
DVD Talk Legend

I don't understand all the wayans hate going on. Don't be a Menace was hilarious... The first Scary Movie was a riot... penis in the ear? That's comedy gold... small penis jokes? I'm on the floor laughing my ass off getting half-chewed-stepped-on milk duds in my ear. Boobie jokes? yeah - those are funny too. Scary Movie 2 was hilarious as well... not as funny as the first, but it gets better on repeated viewings. Guess I'm just really dumb and like that kind of humor. However, I don't see how penis jokes aren't funny but Charlie Sheen getting racked in the nuts 40 times is funny. That's America's Funniest Home Videos stuff. Then again - I don't really think Jim Carey is funny... Jim Carey, David Allen Grier and that small guy were my least favorite parts of that Living Color show. Jamie Foxx? c'mon...

As for the abhraham/zucker thing, all the movies you guys mention by them are from the 80s. What have they done lately? Baseketball? Fine, I liked it - but most people didn't... I mean - it's not like they're all that great really. And Shriek If You Know What You Did Last Friday the 13th?? That piece of dung with Tiffany Amber Thiessen and Tom Arnold? That's what passes for good as opposed to Scary Movie? It was directed by a guy who's entire career was directing tv sketch comedy shows. Sure, Keenan Ivory Wayans directed sketch comedy too, but at least the bulk of his career as a director is movies. I'm Gonna Get You Sucka is a classic. How can you not like that?

Eh - I don't know - I like Wayans movies, I don't care. I also like Zucker movies... so what. To each his own.
Old 10-26-03, 08:11 AM
Banned

How did the Wayans not do #3?
I thought the series was their idea.
And wasn't the 1st one the biggest money maker of alltime by a black director?
So what happened that they were not involed in #3?
Old 10-26-03, 11:37 AM
Suspended

Are you all insane? This movie sucked, I really wanted to walk out and kept thinking when will it be over. There was nothing funny at all. People hitting their heads on stuff and getting kicked in the nuts over and over and over is NOT funny, unless you’re in 2nd grade. Don't even waste your time on this piece of crap. Wait till you’re a hostage and if they want to torture you then they will probably make you watch this sad attempt at comedy.
Old 10-26-03, 12:05 PM

Originally posted by Wooderson
Are you all insane? This movie sucked, I really wanted to walk out and kept thinking when will it be over. There was nothing funny at all. People hitting their heads on stuff and getting kicked in the nuts over and over and over is NOT funny, unless you’re in 2nd grade. Don't even waste your time on this piece of crap. Wait till you’re a hostage and if they want to torture you then they will probably make you watch this sad attempt at comedy.
Thank You!
Old 10-26-03, 12:53 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Are you all insane?
I guess so. Then again I laugh at stupid crap on America's Funniest Home Videos like "36 Table Falls In 28 Seconds."
Old 10-26-03, 01:09 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally posted by Matthew Chmiel
I guess so. Then again I laugh at stupid crap on America's Funniest Home Videos like "36 Table Falls In 28 Seconds."
Well there you go - you didn't tell us you had such a sophisticated sense of humor... "baby blowing spit bubble" and "dog walking into screen door" and "man gets hit in nuts by child". That brand of comedy is waaaay over my head. See, I think "Penis in ear" is funny... it's probably cuz I don't believe in jesus.
Old 10-26-03, 02:38 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
I have not seen the film yet. But I do agree with the Wayenes being overrated comedians.

The original Scary Movie had some sporadic amusing moments. Yet the majority was too forced(a Wayanes specialty) & unfunny.

The sequel was pretty much inwatchable. Enough said.

Even 'I'm Gonna Git You Sucka' which seems to get high praise by critics also severely suffered from unfunny forced humor,that only a few honest laughs were found.

They don't seem to have their comic timing mastered much like the Zuckers in their early days.

Airplane! is still one of the funniest & smartest parodies ever made,so far never equaled in laugh per minute factor! Naked Gun is very amusing as well,same with Hot Shots 1 & 2...but still not on par with Airplane!

Yet the Wayenes don't seem to 'get it'. They spend to much time trying to be funny,that it is just not funny & thats why all the humor feels forced. Once they are clueless about how to get a laught,stick a dick joke in,guaranteed to get a laugh.

Sure some dick & sex humor can be funny when done right. Yet Scary Movie was not one of them

Though I would be interested in seeing the uncut NC-17 version of Scary Movie to see just what forms of 'gross out' humor was cut(& alot was). Though if you want to see better excess gross out sick humor done right. Seek out the unrated version of Tromas Terror Firmer,or the uncut versions of The Toxic Avenger 1 & 4.

As for Scary Movie 3. I barely laughed at the trailer. The only part I found amusing & thus may check it out. Was Leslie Nielson as the president. Now that sequence appears to be absurd humor done right

Also since as usual with Miramax that cut scenes showed up in the trailer. Who wants to bet,the trailer won't be included on the dvd since they have started to skip including them?
Old 10-26-03, 03:00 PM
DVD Talk Legend

I don't think the Wayenes are inwatchable at all.

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.