Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Movie Talk
Reload this Page >

Order of Indy Jones' films to watch

Community
Search
Movie Talk A Discussion area for everything movie related including films In The Theaters

Order of Indy Jones' films to watch

Search this Thread

Old 10-23-03, 10:27 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 33 Likes on 24 Posts
Yeah, ignore the thread crappers....

To stay on topic, I would suggest watching them in release order. There are too many continuity issues if you watch them chronologically.
Old 10-23-03, 10:48 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
While I did come into this thread scratching my head as to why someone would ask this, this is the first time I've heard that Temple was chronologically first. Where can I find more info on that?
Old 10-23-03, 11:23 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 696 Likes on 430 Posts
Originally posted by Thong T
Damn man. That's harsh!

I started this thread b/c I am not a Indy fanatic like most people are. I wasn't sure of the chronological order of the trilogy. But sounds like everyone's watching Raiders, Temple, and Crusade. So what's the story's timeline order? Temple, Raiders, Crusade?

Thong
Wasn't coming down hard on you bro. Sometimes a perfectly ridiculous thread is a good thing, like a colonic flushing.

But you seem like a good kid. Have a muffin!
Old 10-23-03, 11:41 AM
Retired

Just watched them all yesterday. Raiders, Temple, Crusade.
Old 10-23-03, 11:44 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 33 Likes on 24 Posts
Originally posted by Strafe
While I did come into this thread scratching my head as to why someone would ask this, this is the first time I've heard that Temple was chronologically first. Where can I find more info on that?
Toward the beginning of each film it tells you what year it is.

1935 for Temple
1936 for Raiders
1938 for Crusade (1912 for the prelude)
Old 10-23-03, 12:50 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally posted by Matt Millheiser
Wasn't coming down hard on you bro. Sometimes a perfectly ridiculous thread is a good thing, like a colonic flushing.

But you seem like a good kid. Have a muffin!
No sweat Matt!

Josh - Can't believe you watched it all yesterday! What is that? 6 hrs? That's hardcore man!

Thong
Old 10-23-03, 01:12 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 46 Likes on 36 Posts
On a side note, TOD takes place before Raiders - but, in Raiders, Indy admits he doesn't believe in "superstition" or "hocus-pocus." Couple that with the fact that no one, ever, for the last 20 years, has been able to explain why TOD is supposed to take place before Raiders, and I say it is the most useless example of a "prequel" ever.

I swear I would be more inclined to think the "1935" at the beginning of TOD is a misprint, and should read "1937."
Old 10-23-03, 01:16 PM
Retired

Originally posted by Thong T

Josh - Can't believe you watched it all yesterday! What is that? 6 hrs? That's hardcore man!
Yep, right around 6 hours. I've been waiting for these since getting my first DVD player in X-mas of 1998, and I hadn't seen any of them for a few years prior to that. Plus I had nothing better to do.
Old 10-23-03, 02:24 PM
Banned

Originally posted by rennervision
On a side note, TOD takes place before Raiders - but, in Raiders, Indy admits he doesn't believe in "superstition" or "hocus-pocus." Couple that with the fact that no one, ever, for the last 20 years, has been able to explain why TOD is supposed to take place before Raiders, and I say it is the most useless example of a "prequel" ever.

I swear I would be more inclined to think the "1935" at the beginning of TOD is a misprint, and should read "1937."
One reason is that Temple of Doom is more '30s than the other two films. Raiders and Crusade have a whole looming WWII nazi 1940s thing going on. Doom has more art deco, Busby Burkley, Lost Horizon, Thin Man type stuff going on. It isn't a WWII story like the others, so it's better that it happens earlier. But it's true there are inconsistancies. The continuity of the trilogy is hardly anything to take too seriously, however it is possible (however unlikely) that even having seen everything in Temple of Doom, Indy might remain a skeptic who doesn't believe in the mumbo-jumbo of fanatics.

Last edited by Pants; 10-24-03 at 10:52 AM.
Old 10-24-03, 07:26 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally posted by Jules Winfield
Temple of Doom always gets shit on. Such a shame for a very good movie.
Temple was the best movie of the lot. All action from the very start to the end. Don't understand why it's crapped on.

Last Crusade put me to sleep.
Old 10-24-03, 10:55 AM
Banned

Originally posted by big whoppa
Temple was the best movie of the lot. All action from the very start to the end. Don't understand why it's crapped on.
You say that as if Raiders doesn't have "all action from the very start to the end".
Old 10-24-03, 11:03 AM

The Mummy Returns has even more action in it than Temple of Doom. So surely that means it's a better picture, right?
Old 10-25-03, 06:45 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally posted by Inverse
The Mummy Returns has even more action in it than Temple of Doom. So surely that means it's a better picture, right?
Hey, it's my opinion. I'm entitled to it.

Raiders had alot of action but not to the extent of Doom. I'm not putting it down. I just thought Doom was much more interesting. To its credit, Raiders was a bit more mental of the two.
Old 10-25-03, 07:18 AM

Re: Order of Indy Jones' films to watch

Seeing it in release order will be good. At least that's how the producer and the director wanted it to be seen that way, am I right?

Release order: Raiders, Temple, Crusade.
My fave: Crusade, Temple, Raiders.

And oh, I think Kate Capshaw and that little boy lightened up the temple.