Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Movie Talk
Reload this Page >

Star Wars Episodes 7-9? with Spielberg?!?

Community
Search
Movie Talk A Discussion area for everything movie related including films In The Theaters

Search this Thread

Old 10-20-03, 09:25 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Rumours of George Lucas following up his original trilogy with another down the track have been around for years - some were solid information, most were just wishful thinking. As a result unless something solid comes through on them I'm not touching speculation on the topic with a ten foot pole. Well today came word which whilst not solid, is from an insider source whose regularly provided totally accurate intel so far for over two years on a variety of projects so I tend to take his word for it. If true, its also good news for fans let down by the prequels: "One of my pals at ILM told me a few days back that another trilogy 'might' happen. This is the sequel trilogy that Lucas said he'd never do. It's very very early days yet, but apparently there is some talk, even to the point of Mr Spielberg - who was interested in doing 'Clones' at one point - stepping in for Lucas, who may want to write, but probably won't want to direct. If Lucas doesn't they'll probably work out a deal for say Frank Darabont to pen (ala the current "Indiana Jones IV" arrangement). This one would be the three films following Return of the Jedi, Han Solo, Skywalker, post-Darth etc. How hard of a time are they going to have on their hands getting some of those original players! ha ha! finally a fitting use for CGI hey? The deal is everyone wants the sequels, except Lucas, who is apparently exhausted [Personally I'd say studio pressure]. If Spielberg directs, it could be ok. Better than those terrible prequel movies".
Link

I'm sure this will never get past the rumour stage, but would be interesting to see somebody else take the reins. It'll be better, at least.
Old 10-20-03, 09:31 PM
DVD Talk Hero

I think it would be great. I've made no secret that I think Spielberg is in way over his head when it comes to complicated or high-brow material like A.I. or Minority Report, but he can be brilliant in more adventure/fantasy areas. Lucas, on the other hand, has great stories to tell, but is woefully inadequate when it comes to writing dialogue and directing actors. It could be the right combination of the right people. Then again ... it'll never happen* ...

das

Spoiler:
... until action figure sales start sagging.
Old 10-20-03, 09:36 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Frank "Shawshank" Darabont? I may live to see one more good Star Wars movie afterall.
Old 10-20-03, 09:38 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I absolutely love Timothy Zahn's Heir to the Empire trilogy. . .that would be the ideal way to see Episode 7-9. I always thought it's what they should have done from the beginning instead of prequels, but oh well. . .
Old 10-20-03, 10:07 PM
DVD Talk Legend

I'll only see it if Chewbacca has gray hairs.

Old 10-21-03, 04:55 AM

No Please!!! Stop the madness...no more Star Wars! They've already taken away from the original trilogy with these prequels...now you want them to ruin our memories even more with three more pictures...this is madness!!!
Old 10-21-03, 05:02 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 2,741 Likes on 1,889 Posts
Ideally, any sequel trilogy would involve the "next generation" of characters. Namely, Han and Leia's kids.

We can probably count on them dumping most of the EU canon established in the comics and novels, though.

That way, the film could just be recast for the most part. Harrison Ford probably wouldn't be back, but Mark and Carrie probably could have small parts (like Obi Wan in the OT) to bridge the gap. I don't think they have anything better to do.

Honestly, it wouldn't surprise me if something like this is in the planning stages.
Old 10-21-03, 06:40 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

I wouldn't believe it. As mentioned above, this has been rumoured for many years now so I wouldn't believe a word of it unless it comes directly from George Lucas or Rick McCallum's lips.
Old 10-21-03, 09:37 AM
Suspended

Way back in 1983 or 84, George was burned out on Wars. He had dedicated 10+ years of his life to the film, and simply had enough. He said at that point that there was never going to be a Star Wars film ever again. He was done and was ready to move on.

Clearly he changed his mind.

So I cant imagine that this time around is much diffrent. He more in control of his destny, so the pressure is probably not as great - but its still probably not a walk in the park. So when George said "Nope, I'm not doing episodes 7-9. It was all a rumor", I took it with a grain of salt. Give the man a break and he'll probably get right back to it someday. . . .
Old 10-21-03, 12:09 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

But each time he comes back, it's another 10 years of his life he has to pour into it. I can understand if he decided not to do another 3.

D
Old 10-21-03, 12:44 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Its not like Lucas had any sucess with non-SW projects. Just stick with what works.
Old 10-21-03, 12:59 PM

Forget 7-9 and just work on the Howard the Duck sequel. Thats what the fans really want.
Old 10-21-03, 02:02 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally posted by kcbrett5
Forget 7-9 and just work on the Howard the Duck prequel. Thats what the fans really want.
Fixed.
Old 10-21-03, 02:13 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 487 Likes on 286 Posts
Originally posted by theneobez
I absolutely love Timothy Zahn's Heir to the Empire trilogy. . .that would be the ideal way to see Episode 7-9. I always thought it's what they should have done from the beginning instead of prequels, but oh well. . .
This would make a really good series on HBO if they didn't want to make movies out of it. I would definitely love to see that.
Old 10-21-03, 02:21 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Gee, this has never come up before. BTW, Chewie is dead. I like the HBO idea.
Old 10-21-03, 04:18 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Location: City of the lakers.. riots.. and drug dealing cops.. los(t) Angel(e)s. ca.
damn moon smashing the poor wookie. though that happens way down the line in the whole EU.. which isn't cannon.
Old 10-21-03, 04:24 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally posted by Spiky
Gee, this has never come up before. BTW, Chewie is dead. I like the HBO idea.
How did Chewie die? Or are you talking about the fan masturbatory fantasies that were written after the movies?
Old 10-21-03, 04:55 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Location: City of the lakers.. riots.. and drug dealing cops.. los(t) Angel(e)s. ca.
it was in the Expanded Universe. the books, which at most, the closest thing they have connected with lucas is his stamp of approval to sell. He has mentioned they are seperate then the films and really should be considered fanfics. Chewie died some years later getting crushed/ destroyed when a moon went smashy smashy.
Old 10-21-03, 06:53 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 913 Likes on 648 Posts
I love how people bash the books because they don't come from Lucas but hate the new trilogy. A good handful of the books give ep.1-3 a run for Lucas' money.
Old 10-21-03, 07:01 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Star Wars is way to big to be just Lucas's thing at this point, and if the studios want to get sequels out, and other powers in contol want this done, it will get done. I can understand Lucas not wanting to work on it himself, but if the right team comes along, and the right ideas are pitched, I could see it happening. I won't hold my breath, but I would never say never on something like this. I do hope they get made, however, as that was the original plan was to have nine episodes of Star Wars.
Old 10-21-03, 07:39 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Originally posted by Michael Corvin
I love how people bash the books because they don't come from Lucas but hate the new trilogy. A good handful of the books give ep.1-3 a run for Lucas' money.
I enjoy the Prequels for what they are. But I must add to this, I find it a surprise that people claim lucas is just not destroying the originals with the prequels when we have such classics as the Ewok movie.

You should have read the writing on the wall folks, Lucas was going to do bad bad things to your mythos.

Originally posted by calhoun07
Star Wars is way to big to be just Lucas's thing at this point, and if the studios want to get sequels out, and other powers in contol want this done, it will get done. I can understand Lucas not wanting to work on it himself, but if the right team comes along, and the right ideas are pitched, I could see it happening. I won't hold my breath, but I would never say never on something like this. I do hope they get made, however, as that was the original plan was to have nine episodes of Star Wars.

How do you figure that exactly? What sort of pitch to what studio? Fox? Sorry, but they only distribute. Lucas retains the copyrights and the ability to green light any future project. Lucas' original intent was to make 9 yes, but he realized that he wouldn't be able to and summed it down. if you wanted it the way it was suppose to be "originally" you would have seen the events in ANH, ESB, and ROTJ expanded out a bit more then the way it was presented to you Star Wars might be to big to just be controlled by lucas, but the fact remains that it is his to control. He is already rich and owns many major companies that play key roles in today's film industry. No reason he would do it for cash.

Last edited by Jackskeleton; 10-21-03 at 07:44 PM.
Old 10-21-03, 07:49 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

I dont know about this thread...but I do know that this pic is funny.

Old 10-21-03, 07:55 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

That maybe funny, but comedy, thy name is Bustip.mpg
Old 10-21-03, 09:24 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

It wouldn't surprise me if this is done.

The Star Wars universe is a money cash machine.

Its all about the benjamins.
Old 10-21-03, 09:43 PM

I also enjoy the Star Wars movies for what they are; however, I really hope they end it after episode 3. The new trilogy hasn't turned out the way almost everybody thought it would and expanding on the existing story after Jedi is a recipe for disaster...at least I think so. If Fox or Lucas is interested in doing a 7-9 I really hope they make it a story with all new characters that slowly comes full circle to the original trilogy. The best way I could describe it is make the story tie in similar to the way Dan Simmons tied his Endymion novels back into the Hyperion novels. Of course to understand that analogy you need to have read those books...and I am sure at least some of you have.

If something like this did come to pass I would like to see Darabont direct it. If not Frank maybe somebody like David Fincher or Robert Rodriguez could give it a go.

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.