DVD Talk Forum

DVD Talk Forum (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/)
-   Movie Talk (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/movie-talk-17/)
-   -   The Return of John McClane? (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/movie-talk/323672-return-john-mcclane.html)

devilshalo 10-13-03 05:09 PM

The Return of John McClane?

Bomback to pen Fox's next 'Die Hard'
Willis to return pending approval of script
http://www.variety.com/index.asp?lay...&categoryId=13
By DANA HARRIS

Twentieth Century Fox has hired Mark Bomback to write "Die Hard 4."
Pending approval of the script, which centers on the continuing adventures of rogue hero John McClane, Bruce Willis would star in the pic and produce through his Cheyenne Prods.

Bomback wrote the upcoming "Godsend," starring Robert De Niro, for Lions Gate Films. Endeavor and the Firm-repped scribe also worked with Cheyenne on "Reunion," "The Tourist" and "Me Again."

Fox envisions the pic as a tentpole that could resume the franchise. Fox VP Alex Young oversees the development of "Die Hard 4" with Hutch Parker.

Willis starred in "Die Hard" in 1988, "Die Hard 2" in 1990 and "Die Hard: With a Vengeance" in 1995.

Up next for Willis is "Hostage," which will shoot in January. Cheyenne will produce with backing from Bob Yari's Stratus Film Co.

Michael Corvin 10-13-03 05:23 PM

eh. on again off again. Getting this sequel made is about the same as Superman: Lives actually made. i hope they abandon that jungle idea they were tossing around. I would like them to go towards something like Ignition by Kevin J. Anderson. That would make a great Die Hard film.

Troy Stiffler 10-13-03 07:11 PM

Originally posted by Michael Corvin
[B]i hope they abandon that jungle idea they were tossing around./B]
I'm pretty sure that was tossed out the window, and eventually made into "Tears of the Sun".

I absolutly LOVE all three films. But I feel like another one could go either way. I hope we get a good Andrew Davis/John McTiernan style sequel. But I can just see it turning into some bland, techno movie. How horrible would that be? A PG-13 Die Hard 4? There's so many way that this could go wrong. But I hope it doesn't.

MasterofDVD 10-14-03 04:03 AM

The last Die Hard film was my favorite because it was so unlike the first two. Then to see that is used to be the idea for a whole other movie kinda bugged me and stopped me from enjoying the film nearly as much.

I'd like something unlike to first two films but if they have to take another movie script and adjust it to fit the Die Hard series they can save their time and money.

jaeufraser 10-14-03 05:58 AM

Originally posted by MasterofDVD
The last Die Hard film was my favorite because it was so unlike the first two. Then to see that is used to be the idea for a whole other movie kinda bugged me and stopped me from enjoying the film nearly as much.

I'd like something unlike to first two films but if they have to take another movie script and adjust it to fit the Die Hard series they can save their time and money.

Honestly, each of the Die Hard movies are scripts that evolved from other movies. Hell, the first Die Hard was initially going to be Commando 2 until Arnold turned that down. Not to mention it was based on a short story, which by the way was a sequel to another story that was made into a movie 10 years prior. Die Hard 2? Also based on a short story. So, who cares where the script comes from...as long as the action is hard hitting and it keeps with the legacy of Die Hard. The question is...who could direct this well? I'd prefer not to have a Michael Bay type, and McTiernan and Renny Harlin, im my opinion, have lost it. I wonder who then.

RyoHazuki 10-14-03 08:30 AM

Joe Carnahan

Geofferson 10-14-03 10:43 AM

I'd like to see Willis reprise his McLane role. His films since the final Die Hard installment have been so-so for the most part.

Morf 10-14-03 11:19 AM

Die Hard: Awesome
Die Hard 2: Die Harder: Nifty
Die Hard: With a Vengeance: Mediocre
Die Hard 4: Die Hardest: No good

devilshalo 10-14-03 11:27 AM

Originally posted by Geofferson
I'd like to see Willis reprise his McLane role. His films since the final Die Hard installment have been so-so for the most part.
Really? I kinda liked his performances in Fifth Element, Sixth Sense, 12 Monkeys & Unbreakable.

SunMonkey 10-14-03 01:23 PM

Sigh. I like the Die Hard movies. But, I really think the suspension of disbelief factor will catch up with them if they do a fourth installment. I mean, the first was great. The second has another "terrorist" incident occuing at random to McClane. Ok. We'll go with it. The third has yet another "terrorist" come into McClane's life, but because of the way it is tied together with previous characters, it works. Maybe they will have groups of terrorist trying to earn their stripes by taking on McClane this time.

Anyway, I just hope they don't turn this franchise into the Murder She Wrote of the movie world.

Lastblade 10-14-03 01:28 PM

I want to see another Die Hard like I want to see another Rocky.... ;)

devilshalo 10-14-03 02:34 PM

How about a crazy McClane who becomes a terrorist because he's sick and tired of all the shit that comes down on him? ;)

chanster 10-14-03 02:45 PM

Actually you laugh at, but that was the original ending for Die Hard 3. Its on the DVD.

Its actually a neat little ending that is a lot better than the tacked on "shoot out" that happens in the film.

Michael Corvin 10-14-03 06:05 PM

So everyone wants something different. I'm telling you check out the book I mentioned above. It is quite different. It was a one man against terrorists book.

Charlie Goose 10-14-03 08:24 PM

Originally posted by chanster
Actually you laugh at, but that was the original ending for Die Hard 3. Its on the DVD.

Its actually a neat little ending that is a lot better than the tacked on "shoot out" that happens in the film.

Whoa! Please elaborate on that, as I do not have the DVD. You can spoilerize it if you like. Thanks!

http://charliegoose.homestead.com/files/goose.jpg Honk!

MasterofDVD 10-15-03 03:58 AM

The alternate ending is sweet. My guess is there would be a description of it at IMDB. Not really sure but I'm guessing it could be found there or somewhere on the net.

The Bus 10-15-03 05:48 AM

If they're going to adapt a book and make it relevant, why not adapt Vertical Run? It would keep with McLane's me-against-the-world theme.

DGibFen 10-15-03 06:52 AM

Originally posted by Charlie Goose
Whoa! Please elaborate on that, as I do not have the DVD. You can spoilerize it if you like. Thanks!
From the IMDB:
Spoiler:
The new R1 DVD version includes an an alternate ending showing McClane and Simon playing a game of 'chicken' with a rocket launcher. In this alternate version, Simon Gruber and his crew get away with the gold and months later, McClane tracks Simon down in Eastern Europe. The number on the bottom of the asprin bottle (at the phone booth) leads McClane to Gruber. The gold is turned into small miniatures of the Empire State building and smuggled out of the country. McClane is thrown off the force, with the police thinking McLean may actually be involved in the heist. The "game" that McLean and Simon play is about riddles that they give each other, and they are each supposed to figure out the answer within a few seconds. McClane shoots Simon with the Chinese rocket launcher and the last line of the movie, as he stands up from the table and walks away is "yipee kayee motherf*****".