Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Movie Talk
Reload this Page >

Most walk-outs you've ever seen in a theater

Community
Search
Movie Talk A Discussion area for everything movie related including films In The Theaters

Most walk-outs you've ever seen in a theater

Search this Thread

Old 10-16-03, 09:35 AM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Last night I saw Peter Greenaway's first part of his Tulse Luper Suitcases. Eight people walked out, which I find confusing considering that it was a film festival and you'd think an audience would be exceptionally open-minded. But then again its Greenaway . . .
Old 10-16-03, 02:24 PM

Received 164 Likes on 120 Posts
Originally posted by Giles
Originally posted by Pants
"I would never walk out, but they were right, it did suck".

I second the fact that "demonlover" did not suck... to each his own.
I've gotta get in on this...

I thought demonlover sucked huge ones, although I don't remember anyone walking out.

When I saw The Piano Teacher, LOTS of people walked out. Same for Intimacy, IIRC.
Old 10-16-03, 04:31 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Location: Formerly known as Groucho AND Bandoman/Death Moans, Iowa
Received 372 Likes on 266 Posts
Originally posted by UAIOE
I wanted to walk out on this movie....and i saw it at home!

I myself have never noticed alot of walk-outs at movies because i am usually into the movies i choose.
Yah, well I saw it and walked out, and it was an in-flight movie!

Ok, not my joke.
Old 10-16-03, 07:04 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
OWWW!!! I just had a painful flashback when someone mentioned "Wing Commander".
Old 10-17-03, 12:53 AM
DVD Talk Hero - 2023 TOTY Award Winner

Received 2,171 Likes on 1,222 Posts
Originally posted by huh?
i have zero sympathy for people who walk out of a movie in the theatre. basically, in order to walk out, you have to have done ZERO research about the movie to be that shocked that necessitates a walk out.
A. Nonsense.
B. Shock is only one reason of several why people walk out of movies.

The film that sprang immediately to mind when I saw this thread title is Crouch Tiger, Hidden Dragon. Considering where I saw it, I doubt too many walked out because it was subtitled. I'm sure most knew it was before they bought their tickets. I think many left because they thought it was a seething piece of crap. I was tempted to join them.

The last film that I had to fight the strong urge to walk out of was Far From Heaven which, by the way, I researched thoroughly and loathed anyway.
Old 10-17-03, 02:19 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

I don't have a problem with people walking out, however, I do have a problem with people who decide to voice their opinion loudly as they are walking out of a film.

When my friend and I went to see Adaptation this happened. A group (family?) of about 5 social underlings stomped their feet loudly and as they got to the bottom step one of the gorillas shouted "This is the worst movie I've ever seen!". Thanks.

If I've walked out of a movie it's usually because of the audience not the film. One instance though was An Ideal Husband. My ex dragged me to it at the time and we both kept falling asleep. We had to leave.
Old 10-17-03, 07:43 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Location: Home of the UF Gators and Nat'l Championships, Gainesville, FL
A.I. - had a full house when we came in (1st weekend) about 1/3 left when the credits were rolling. My wife wanted to leave 2/3 through it but I never walk out ( except during Home Alone ) to get lucky.
Old 10-21-03, 12:22 PM

Strangely enough, I would have to say "Austin Powers 1" I think a few too many 'people of advanced age' walked into this movie thinking who-knows-what and left as soon as they figured it out!
Old 10-21-03, 01:05 PM

Originally posted by Pillowhead
I don't have a problem with people walking out, however, I do have a problem with people who decide to voice their opinion loudly as they are walking out of a film.

When my friend and I went to see Adaptation this happened. A group (family?) of about 5 social underlings stomped their feet loudly and as they got to the bottom step one of the gorillas shouted "This is the worst movie I've ever seen!". Thanks.

If I've walked out of a movie it's usually because of the audience not the film. One instance though was An Ideal Husband. My ex dragged me to it at the time and we both kept falling asleep. We had to leave.
I agree, I've been to movies were people walk out and start yelling "I can't beleive you brought me to see this crap". Just because that person thinks the movie is crap doesn't mean that the rest of the audience is not enjoying the film.
Old 10-21-03, 02:22 PM
DVD Talk Legend

The most honorable mention for walkouts was Dance with Me.

No one was there..... so ended up having sex in the theater... it was way better then the movie.
Old 10-22-03, 10:05 AM

If I had paid 8 dollars for a movie, I'll likely endure the torture. Some movies I've rented and didn't watch in it's entirety (equates to walk out, I guess) are: eXistence, Kung Pow, Royal Tanenbaum.

Those were terrible, terrible movies.
Old 10-22-03, 10:39 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Another terrible movie...... Titanic.... sorry but it sucked...... Didnt deserve that much money...
Old 10-22-03, 05:21 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 72 Likes on 53 Posts
i'm thinking Happiness, old people and little kids didnt seem to enjoy it.

i walked out of Armegeddon and i was living in Utah at the time (meaning nothing to do). Ive watched the movie a couple times since and am always amazed at how bad it is.
Old 10-23-03, 01:55 AM
duz
DVD Talk Special Edition

I must be lucky that I've never seen a bad movie in the theater, ofcourse I only see about 3 a year but still...
My friends would always ask me to go see some movie that I knew would be bad (poor reviews, other friends not liking it, previews sucking, lack of talent, etc) and they would laugh when I told them no then they'd come and appologize after they got back from watching it.
Old 10-23-03, 02:29 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
I also agree that morons who pay for a film only to walk out before it even start deserve what they get & should endure the film!

Now if a film were really boring & just a huge waste of time because of that. I can understand walking out. Yet if your shocked by the material & thus leave because of that,not because of the film being boring. Then you deserve to see the whole thing,before criticizing it.

I witnessed two walk outs the past few months that just boggled my mind.

One was for Bad Boys 2. Some guy brought his under 10 year old son to the film. They left 20 minutes later,the starting was 'too expliit' in the language for the kid,the violence graphic...& the 'crotch shot' in the club scene was were the Dad drew the line & stormed out of the theater with the kid,never to return! You would think the moron would know before hand what the film contains? Their is more than enough information out there. If he didn't want his kid to see this stuff,then WHY bring him in the first place????????????

The most recent one & mose impressive in amount of time it took people to walk out,thus showing how stupid they really are was Kill Bill.

The packed theater had one ghetto redneck Nutty Professor family with a billion little kids who must have been only 5 or so. They left 10 minutes into the film when Uma & Vivica were fighting,this is the very FIRST scene after the credits..& they decide to leave already! The fat mom stormed down the aisle,as the kids hung out at their seats,then the parent is yelling at them to "Move it,NOW!" & the kids look on cluessless,back at mom,then the screen inquiring "What?" "We just got here,why are we leacing already?"...duh lady,do a thing called RESEARCH before a film or take head of the R rating.

Even more amazing than that were two guys who less not more than 5 SECONDS into the film! Once they saw Uma's bloodied up face,they freaked out...& stormed out in a microsecond!!!

Talk about morons!
Old 10-24-03, 09:09 AM

When my mom took me to Apocalypse Now in the Theatres when I was about 13 she walked out. (I stayed)

When I look my 2 young sons to see Princess Mononoke (not realizing it was R) my younger son freaked during the opening Boar Demon scene and we had to bail!

I've seen many films that I shouldve walked out on, except that I was on dates.

Never Say Never Again (I did yell "ISN'T THIS THUNDERBALL?!?!?!" in the theatre in frustration.)
Godzilla 84 (the terrible US cut)
Wing Commander (I still owe Jurgen Prochnow a black-eye for luring me into this dog)
Old 10-24-03, 01:07 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
princess monoke was pg-13.
Old 10-24-03, 01:39 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Location: New Jersey, where the state motto should be Leave No Tree Standing
Magnolia - Bunch of old women kept commenting how nasty Tom Cruise was being. I told them to be quiet, they finally got up and left.

American Beauty - Several senior citizens, male and female, walked out at different points: Kevin Spacey masturbating in bed, lusting after the girl in his dreams and then when he almost has sex with her.

Lost Highway, The Straight Story, Mulholland Drive - I still don't understand how you go to a David Lynch film and not know what to expect. Granted, The Straight Story was an atypical film for him, but it was advertised as the tale of an old man riding his lawnmower across a few states.

Life Is Beautiful - A few old women walked out complaining that it was in Italian and they had to read subtitles.

Matrix Reloaded - Saw quite a few people leave a 10pm Saturday showing of this.

On the other hand, when I saw Run Lola Run, a group of older women, maybe in their 60s or 70s, commented after the film how much they enjoyed it. That shocked me.
Old 10-24-03, 04:06 PM

I actually havent seen too many walk outs. I tend to go to the theater on off times anyway. The one I do recall with many walkouts was Jay and Silent Bob Strike back. As soon as Jay starting rapping a lot of older people left.
Old 10-25-03, 03:58 AM

Barring someone making a show of it (stomping out, sighing loudly, yelling or talking), how would you know if someone was leaving for good, or if they were just theater-hopping (passing time), or if they were getting snakcs/soda/candy, or going to the restroom, etc?

Do you actually monitor whether the people come back?
Strange... when I pay money to see a movie, I watch the movie, not the audience.
Old 10-25-03, 11:08 AM

i haven't noticed a significant amount of people ever walking out

but my parents walked out when we went to see LOTR on my 20th birthday

bastards
Old 10-25-03, 11:33 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1,403 Likes on 1,028 Posts
Originally posted by RevLiver
Granted, The Straight Story was an atypical film for him [David Lynch}, but it was advertised as the tale of an old man riding his lawnmower across a few states.
I agree, what the hell would you expect?! And it wasn't even a typical Lynch film with nine kinds of weirdness either.
Old 10-25-03, 12:28 PM
Banned

Originally posted by Ronin008
If I had paid 8 dollars for a movie, I'll likely endure the torture. Some movies I've rented and didn't watch in it's entirety (equates to walk out, I guess) are: eXistence, Kung Pow, Royal Tanenbaum.

Those were terrible, terrible movies.
If you didn't see eXistence through to the end then you can't talk. The ending makes the film and realigns all previous misconceptions you might have had...
Spoiler:
without saying too much the movie ends with a scene where the entire cast is reassembled (I won't explain how this happens but it makes sense). Anyway the entire cast sits around and basicly critiques the film offering assessments on their own performance, things they didn't like, things that didn't seem realistic, anoying accents, plot too hard to follow, etc. The whole film criticizes itself.
I recomend you watch the rest. It's one of Cronenberg's most brilliant films.
Old 10-25-03, 12:30 PM
Suspended

"Lifeforce". I walked out on this one, but only after a significant number of my friends and others in the theater had left.

Lately, "Kill Bill", but in nowhere near the numbers as "Lifeforce" (and I stuck around for all of "Kill Bill", GREAT FILM).
Old 10-25-03, 12:35 PM
Banned

Originally posted by Julie Walker

Even more amazing than that were two guys who less not more than 5 SECONDS into the film! Once they saw Uma's bloodied up face,they freaked out...& stormed out in a microsecond!!!

Talk about morons!
I'm going to go out on a limb and guess that these guys actually simply walked into the wrong theater.

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.