Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Movie Talk
Reload this Page >

Kill Bill Prints are unwatchable in my opinion

Movie Talk A Discussion area for everything movie related including films In The Theaters

Kill Bill Prints are unwatchable in my opinion

Old 10-13-03, 05:58 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Ok, great conversation suddenly.

In answer to a few of the points brought up here after my lengthy counter-argument...

Ticket sale price is a major dealbreaker when it comes to booking a movie at a certain theatre or chain. If the theatre isn't charging competitively in a certain market in the box office - the competition in the same area could very well get the film exclusively. It's all decided in booking, and ultimately the studios control those business decisions.

Yes, people definitely buy more concessions when they pay less at the box office. Check out any of the dollar shows still left around the country and you'll see extremely high per caps, unfortunately, the revenue garnered by concessions alone forced most of these out of business.

I'm not sure exactly how each individual theatre out there handles security measures. I do know that at my theatre, we check all 18 screens at least twice per show (not only for camcorders, but for people talking, babies crying, focus, framing, sound etc.) We also have a no camera/video camera policy in place so if someone walks up to the box office and tries to buy a ticket with a camera bag slung across their shoulder they won't get one until they take their stuff back to their car.

Admittedly, you can hide cameras pretty easily, and as was mentioned above, a lot of people are doing the pirating late at night during special screenings. By knowing what theatre these prints are coming from, investigators can come in late at night and check to see if employees (etc.) are doing this.

Some studios have begun sending security agents to special screenings who wear night-vision goggles to make sure no one is pirating a film. I think this is a little extreme, but they are obviously VERY concerned.

the red dot code was very noticeable on two films this year at my certain location - "Kill Bill" and "Tomb Raider 2". These dots are on every print now, but they're not always as noticeable from film to film.

In closing, I agree that it is a distraction, but I think it's smart for the studios to do what they can to curb pirating. I think the more they experiment with different measures, the better the product will eventually be for consumers.
Old 10-13-03, 07:15 PM
Suspended

Is the Crap Code a deal breaker for me as far as going to movies are concerned? Them by themselves, no. However, add in the amazingly overinflated ticket prices, the 5 dollar hot dog, the half an hour of commercials before the trailers roll, the jackass on the phone who wont shut up during the movie (just to name a few reasons why theaters suck these days) and THEN you've got a theater killing experiance.

After Star Wars III, I'm done with all theaters. I've got a nice big screen TV and kickin' sound system. I dont need theaters anymore.
Old 10-13-03, 07:26 PM
DRG
DVD Talk Legend

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
What's to stop the bootlegger from editing out the marked frames before he distributes it? Sure, it may cause a slight 'skip' in the film, but people accustomed to bootlegs are used to crap quality anyway.
Old 10-13-03, 08:40 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
I saw only once those little dots, hardly unwatchable in my book (and it was during Sonny Chiba's scene)
Old 10-13-03, 08:50 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Location: City of the lakers.. riots.. and drug dealing cops.. los(t) Angel(e)s. ca.
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally posted by DRG
What's to stop the bootlegger from editing out the marked frames before he distributes it? Sure, it may cause a slight 'skip' in the film, but people accustomed to bootlegs are used to crap quality anyway.

even better they will just go to the frame and blur out the dots. simple as that.
Old 10-13-03, 10:07 PM
Needs to provide a working email

Originally posted by Jackskeleton
even better they will just go to the frame and blur out the dots. simple as that.
Or, if there isn't a large amount of change between that frame and one in front of or behind it, just paste over it. A 10 second problem in Virtualdub.
Old 10-13-03, 10:40 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Location: City of the lakers.. riots.. and drug dealing cops.. los(t) Angel(e)s. ca.
not that it really matters unless they create the pirated copies in the same theater week to week. I'm sure it's an inside job between a group that are located in different locations. rotation is another factor. hard to narrow it down when each week the new release is coming out in different locations.
Old 10-13-03, 11:03 PM

Besides what others have already mentioned (adding or removing dots by Photoshop or cutting frames through VirtualDub), many bootlegs are made from screenings in other countries... so no matter what the industry will do in the U.S., the chances are that this initiative will go the way of the "original" Divx.
Old 10-14-03, 10:33 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Originally posted by blindrocket
Perhaps I was too engrossed in Kill Bill but I didn't see them.
me too.

actually, i don't think i've ever noticed these before!
Old 10-14-03, 11:42 AM

I have no problem with the studios and theaters trying to stop piracy but I do have a problem with them doing so in a manner that detracts from my theater experience.

I used to go to the theater every single saturday morning. Now I go 1 or 2 times a *year* (when my fiance and I want a movie date). Ticket prices are way out of control, theaters exercise NO control (at least in my area, Dallas, TX) over people in the theater being loud/rude/phones/etc, plus to top it all off the video and audio is now WORSE at the theater than I get at home with HD Widescreen and a good full surround sound system. It costs me MORE to buy two tickets to a movie than to just buy the dvd when it comes out. And that's not even counting the huge savings I get from using Netflix.

So while I would LOVE to still go to the theaters weekly, I will not do so when matinees are over $6, and theaters won't do anything about people in the audience detracting from the movie and studios decide to marr their prints before they even make the theaters...no thanks.
Old 10-14-03, 01:25 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

I thought I was seeing dots, until I read this thread.

Anyway, I wouldn't care so much if they put the yellow dots when Uma is in her jumpsuit, hell, dot the whole freaking suit, for all I care, but it was alittle distracting in other scenes.

There should be a better way to thwart piracy. And you know that with the yellow dot thingy, I am sure pirates will figure out a way to get around it anyhow.... So it will just end up annoying us the legitimate paying customers.
Old 10-15-03, 09:41 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

I just want to say that I'm glad I read this thread and now I'm going to pray that I'll forget everything I read. I didn't even know about the dots until now. And I watched Kill Bill and school of rock and didn't notice them. And hopefully I won't notice them now.
Old 10-15-03, 09:58 AM

Received 16 Likes on 12 Posts
Originally posted by Flynn

I'm not sure exactly how each individual theatre out there handles security measures. I do know that at my theatre, we check all 18 screens at least twice per show (not only for camcorders, but for people talking, babies crying, focus, framing, sound etc.) We also have a no camera/video camera policy in place so if someone walks up to the box office and tries to buy a ticket with a camera bag slung across their shoulder they won't get one until they take their stuff back to their car.

Admittedly, you can hide cameras pretty easily, and as was mentioned above, a lot of people are doing the pirating late at night during special screenings. By knowing what theatre these prints are coming from, investigators can come in late at night and check to see if employees (etc.) are doing this.

Some studios have begun sending security agents to special screenings who wear night-vision goggles to make sure no one is pirating a film. I think this is a little extreme, but they are obviously VERY concerned.

At the screening of Veronica Guerin last night, the AFI had actually had screeners with those black magnetic sticks. I felt as if I were boarding a plane.

At last week's screening of Mystic River the woman announcing the film, stated that the auditorium was being monitored for piracy (what that means I don't know, but she gave the impression as we were being watched by a camera).

As for Kill Bill I didn't notice any dots.

Last edited by Giles; 10-15-03 at 10:00 AM.
Old 10-15-03, 10:09 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

I think I saw the dots but it hardly ruined the movie. They flashed by in .5/second. Not really any distracting than the vaious nicks and scratches that all movies seem to have.

BTW: I never understood why a person would pay for something (movie/CD) and they put it up on the internet for others to download for free. They are not getting anything out of it so why do it. If I paid $10-$20 bucks for something, I sure wouldn't let people get it for free off me if I had to pay $$$ for it. Screw them, buy it themselves. If the guy was selling bootleg tapes, at least then it would be getting something out of his crime.
Old 10-15-03, 10:31 AM
Needs to provide a working email

Originally posted by resinrats

BTW: I never understood why a person would pay for something (movie/CD) and they put it up on the internet for others to download for free. They are not getting anything out of it so why do it. If I paid $10-$20 bucks for something, I sure wouldn't let people get it for free off me if I had to pay $$$ for it.
Because these hypothetical people can then get for free the stuff that they didn't buy that someone else bought and put up for free. These hypothetical people know that if nobody shares, the system doesn't work, and the hypothetical people want to contribute. Some of these hypothetical people "leech" things without sharing anything themselves, but some of these hypothetical people take a sense of pride in being the very first to post, or in offering the best quality rip.

Or so I read somewhere.
Old 10-15-03, 12:41 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

I had a evil idea years ago when Napster was around. It would have been to download some N-sync song and rename the file to another title. Then let people download it. Talk about evil...I loved it!!!!!!! (puts pinky to mouth)

With the movie ripping now, I'd be awesome to get the Pokemon movie, and name the file Return of the King and let people take hours to download it and enjoy Pikachu instead of Gollum. (pinky to mouth and insane laughing. Mwahahaha!!)
Old 10-15-03, 12:48 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Originally posted by resinrats
I had a evil idea years ago when Napster was around. It would have been to download some N-sync song and rename the file to another title. Then let people download it. Talk about evil...I loved it!!!!!!! (puts pinky to mouth)

With the movie ripping now, I'd be awesome to get the Pokemon movie, and name the file Return of the King and let people take hours to download it and enjoy Pikachu instead of Gollum. (pinky to mouth and insane laughing. Mwahahaha!!)
Actually, that's one way the industry (both music and movie) combats the problem. They flood the file sharing servers with 'bad' files that are named (or resemble) the pirated versions. So when people go download a song or movie, they get nothing instead. It works on some level but again, resourceful pirates have private servers and what not to get around the problem.
Old 10-15-03, 02:57 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

If you are using Kazaa still, you are out of the loop.

then again, I'm guilty of putting up Tribute.mpg on Kazaa renamed to many different hot searchs.
Old 10-16-03, 12:45 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Copy code was all over Mystic River, too.

But not four little brown dots in a light portion of the screen. No.

The film itslef is largely colorless, with bright parts showing lots of white and dark parts being very black.

So, four little brown dots would have been annoying.

But HUGE BROWN FRIGGIN ELLIPSES ALL OVER THE SCREEN, that's criminal. Messes up the whole look of the film, and considering the color scheme of the film, it was VERY noticeable.

I give this crackpot scheme two months.
Old 10-16-03, 02:16 AM
Suspended

Well, I saw Kill Bill tonight - and there were dots EVERYwhere! Even my friend, who had no idea that there was studio copy protection in place noticed it. He though the dots were subliminal blood splatter to highten the gore effect.

Was it ruined for me? No. Will I continue to see movies with this effect in place? Nope. I'll pirate them or wait and rent on video.
Old 10-16-03, 06:33 PM

I stopped going to movies years ago when they started putting "cigarette burns" on the prints...