Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Movie Talk
Reload this Page >

Bubba Ho-Tep -- Loved it.

Movie Talk A Discussion area for everything movie related including films In The Theaters

Old 09-27-03, 05:07 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Sure it works more as a comedy and even a character study then a horror picture, but gosh darn it I loved this picture.

Campbell gives such a finely nuanced performance it's almost as if he's not acting. HE IS THE KING.
And fear not evil dead fans, there's a bit of ash mixed in.

This film if anything is about loss and regret. For every piece of dialogue about the title character, there is a scene or dialogue that makes you think and feel for the elvis character.
The film on surface may seem like a joke gone too far, but there is much more going on, and most of it is through campbell's performance. His craggy 70 year old king of rock 'n' roll is bed ridden, in a walker and on a reluctant mission of redemption.

Ossie davis as JFK (!) Is unusually good. We know him as the wise old black man in the spike lee films, here he plays an actual character, who quite possibly is a loon, but gives him depth and sincerity. He has an awful lot of exposition to handle, but does so with wit and a nice sense of comic timing.

The bubba ho-tep creature, whatever we can see of him, seems fairly interesting, but is never developed.

The horror scenes aren't particularly scary, but they really aren't meant to be. The film's point is real fear is having lived a life without much meaning, and as it lulls to an end the inescapable regret of the past weighs down on you unless you take a stand for something or someone you care about.
All that in a funny, witty send-up of 2 american icons lost but never forgotten.

Christ, this movie ruled.
Old 09-27-03, 05:28 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 7 Likes on 1 Post
probably gonna have to wait for dvd since it won't make it to theaters near me. :/
Old 09-27-03, 07:10 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 362 Likes on 262 Posts
Originally posted by Trigger
probably gonna have to wait for dvd since it won't make it to theaters near me. :/
Not sure where you're at. But with it's current success, I don't think they're going to skip by Phoenix. Can't wait till it gets here!
Old 09-27-03, 11:16 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally posted by Trigger
probably gonna have to wait for dvd...
Please, please, please let there be a Bruce Campbell commentary. The man is a genuine entertainer.
Old 09-28-03, 05:09 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Trigger got suspended?
Old 09-28-03, 10:00 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

When watching the trailers for this movie I always get this weird Phantasm 3 vibe (a movie which I really enjoyed). Maybe it's just me. Looks like a mix of comedy and tongue-in-cheek horror. I probably won't get to see this in theaters (since it won't be released here), but I'm definitely intrigued.
Old 09-29-03, 01:39 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Originally posted by Shilex
When watching the trailers for this movie I always get this weird Phantasm 3 vibe (a movie which I really enjoyed). Maybe it's just me. Looks like a mix of comedy and tongue-in-cheek horror. I probably won't get to see this in theaters (since it won't be released here), but I'm definitely intrigued.
Well, it IS directed by Don Coscarelli, of Phantasm 1-4 fame, so that may have something to do with it. I think he's also working on a new Phantasm right now.
Old 09-29-03, 05:30 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Well that explains it
Old 09-29-03, 08:46 PM

I envy all you guys who live in a town where this movie is playing. Living here in Baltimore means I will probably never get to see this gem on the silver screen. Bummer.
Old 09-30-03, 08:19 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

This sounds interesting!
Old 10-01-03, 03:02 PM

I wasn't bowled over by the trailer but I'll still see it if it's shown here.
Old 10-01-03, 10:21 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

It opens in L.A. on friday. Hopefully I can catch it.
Old 10-05-03, 04:17 PM

I caught this in Irvine, great movie. Bruce was there at the end to do a Q and A. he basically ripped anyone had a question.
The best question, a Guy from the audience ask, "Is your driver licence is from Orgeon?" Bruce answered, "Yeah , thats creepy what are you doing with that info?" A female from the audience yelled out,"stalker" . The guy then held up a card. Bruce approached the guy. It was his license, he dropped it. Bruce then began to backpedal and appologize to the guy. The audience laughed. Bruce rules!

Last edited by Catch 21; 10-05-03 at 04:21 PM.
Old 10-05-03, 06:10 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Location: City of the lakers.. riots.. and drug dealing cops.. los(t) Angel(e)s. ca.
my friends caught it the other day and the lucky punks saw it with bruce campbell. Guess they were in your crowd catch21.

Last edited by Jackskeleton; 10-05-03 at 06:12 PM.
Old 10-06-03, 01:59 AM
Cool New Member

jack sorry you couldn't go ha haha
( im the friend)
that whole incident with the wallet i was sitting behind the
girl that picked it up, because brue sat in the audience and i noticed when he sat down but i didn' t think much of it but when he got up at the end of the movie i was surprised the king sat next to us on the next isle, but when she picked up his wallet i was like lucky trick, what surrprised was the stupidity of giving out his id number in a room full of hard core fans, dumass
Old 10-07-03, 07:43 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Bruce did an amazing Q&A in LA also. The best part was when a guy asked him if he could repeat his Boomstick line.

"Yeah, I could..." he said "...if I were your trained MONKEY!"
Old 10-07-03, 11:09 PM

Originally posted by darkman226
jack sorry you couldn't go ha haha
( im the friend)
that whole incident with the wallet i was sitting behind the
girl that picked it up, because brue sat in the audience and i noticed when he sat down but i didn' t think much of it but when he got up at the end of the movie i was surprised the king sat next to us on the next isle, but when she picked up his wallet i was like lucky trick, what surrprised was the stupidity of giving out his id number in a room full of hard core fans, dumass
That was a girl? I sat in the back middle i should have sat in the front row I thought about scalping my tickets then going to San diego show, but i was too impatient.

Last edited by Catch 21; 10-07-03 at 11:11 PM.
Old 10-07-03, 11:11 PM

Received 16 Likes on 12 Posts
the film doesn't look like it's gonna get a DC run, guess it will be a DVD rental.
Old 10-08-03, 07:49 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

I thought it was pretty good. Certainly enjoyable just to watch Bruce tear it up on screen. I guess my complaint is that, while you certainly expect a Bruce character to have one liners, I thought it was a little overdone. In some scenes it was just one cheesey line after another, after another, after another. Some weren't even that clever. Most were funny though and it certainly had the theater cracking up.

I'd be curious to hear what some people, who aren't necessarily BC fans, think of this film.
Old 10-10-03, 04:51 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Originally posted by Peep
Bruce did an amazing Q&A in LA also. The best part was when a guy asked him if he could repeat his Boomstick line.

"Yeah, I could..." he said "...if I were your trained MONKEY!"
Was this at the Nuart in West L.A. ?
Old 10-13-03, 03:20 AM
Cool New Member

good news bubba ho-tep is now been released in ten more theaters in southern Cal, go to the official website to see what theatres it's playing at
Old 01-10-04, 01:42 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

'Bubba Ho-Tep' finally opened today in Washington DC. Bruce Campbell himself was at the brand new theater this evening to do Q&A sessions at the end of each showing. Anyone else attend? More release dates below!

January 16
MODESTO, CA - State Theatre
STURGEON BAY, WI - Sturgeon Bay Cinema 6

January 23
BURLINGTON, VT - Merrill's Roxy
CARY, NC - Madstone Theaters
DURHAM, NC - Carolina Theatre
LINCOLN, NE - The Ross Media Arts Center
NEW ORLEANS, LA - Landmark's Canal Place
PITTSBURGH, PA - The Oaks

January 28
CHARLOTTETOWN, NS (Canada) - City Cinemas Charlottetown
COLUMBIA, MO - Ragtag Cinema

January 30
ARCATA, CA - Minor Theatre
OLYMPIA, WA - Capitol Theater
SACRAMENTO, CA - Tower Theater
SALT LAKE CITY, UT - Tower Theatre
WORCESTER, MA - Bijou Community Cinema

February 13
LOS ANGELES, CA - New Beverly Cinema
VANCOUVER, BC (Canada) - Tinseltown 12

February 20
ALBUQUERQUE, NM - Guild Cinema, Pangaea

February 22
SALMON ARM, BC (Canada)

February 27
TORONTO, ON (Canada) - The Royal Cinema

March 12
NORFOLK, VA - Naro Cinema
Old 01-10-04, 09:20 AM
Suspended

I've been waiting and waiting for this to come to Philly I emailed the webmaster for their site, and he told me it would get here eventually .... but when?!

I'll be getting the DVD instead I guess
Old 01-10-04, 12:57 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Location: City of the lakers.. riots.. and drug dealing cops.. los(t) Angel(e)s. ca.
actually you wont just yet. it's not set for a dvd release till it finishes it's little tour some time later this year.

So you will get the chance to see it in theaters, it's just take a while to open up everywhere.

over all, I liked the film, it was a good character study and campbell's performance was great.
Old 01-10-04, 03:25 PM

This movie was simply wonderful.

Search this Thread

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.