DVD Talk Forum

DVD Talk Forum (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/)
-   Movie Talk (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/movie-talk-17/)
-   -   The Kill Bill Vol 1 Thread (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/movie-talk/319948-kill-bill-vol-1-thread.html)

kenny79 01-03-03 01:19 AM

Once again, shows to go you how good music can make a good trailer frigging mind-blowing (see also: Daredevil teaser, Two Towers trailer).

fumanstan 01-03-03 02:26 AM

Looks bad ass :)

Ralph Wiggum 01-03-03 05:30 AM

I'm very excited about this one. :)

The Bus 01-03-03 07:46 AM

Excited to see the movie, but the trailer was a bit overhyped, it's not that great. :(

Still there opening day though.

grunter 01-03-03 09:49 AM

Originally posted by lesterlong
Saw the trailer, hopefully the acting and nice sets can make up for weak script.
You thought Quentin's written a weak script? Really?

I just thought it was straight-ahead kung-fu movie fanboy fun. Nothing very deep - just grindhouse zip-along thrills. Sort of along the lines of the very best "bad good" "Six Million Dollar Woman" script you ever dreamed was possible.

I have every confidence that any script weaknesses will have been corrected at the filming stage. Reports from the set say that Quentin is virtually re-writing every scene as its being filmed.

But - eh - YMMV.

Geofferson 01-03-03 09:49 AM

Looks fantastic! :up:

Tyler_Durden 01-03-03 10:34 AM

My god - it's awesome. I even love the intentionally horrendous CG plane at the beginning.

Also, I don't see any wires, and Harry Knowles at AICN had this to say on the issue:

there is only one character in this trailer operating with wires doing gravity defying martial arts and that's Pei Mei the hundreds of years old Martial Arts master that leaps over The Bride then atop the blade of her sword. He's doing crazy wire-fu because unlike every other character in this movie he has super powers... The rest of the action seen in this trailer is old fashioned martial arts choreography. I know... I was on set to see the stuff being done.

devilshalo 01-03-03 11:29 AM

Originally posted by Tyler_Durden
Also, I don't see any wires, and Harry Knowles at AICN had this to say on the issue: The rest of the action seen in this trailer is old fashioned martial arts choreography. I know... I was on set to see the stuff being done.
is that why the action seemed as slow as some of those aweful old school kung fu movies? i dunno.. i didn't get jazzed to see the film after viewing the trailer. i'm from the old school.. but there's good old school and bad old school.. so far this looks like bad. :(

as far as fanboy kung fu flicks.. IMO, nothing will top Big Trouble in Little China ;)

joeydaninja 01-03-03 01:55 PM

Originally posted by kenny79
Once again, shows to go you how good music can make a good trailer frigging mind-blowing (see also: Daredevil teaser, Two Towers trailer).
speaking of which, who did the music for this trailer? it's really quite good.

Tyler_Durden 01-03-03 03:08 PM

If we're talking about the Kill Bill trailer, I'd like to know too. Tarantino sure knows his tunes.

BDB 01-03-03 05:52 PM

I like it a lot, and I love teh winter scene..

The Antipodean 01-03-03 09:55 PM

Looks cool to me, a totally frenzied homage to the kung fu QT loves.

clemente 01-04-03 12:15 AM

Hmmmm.....with all the jizzing that was going on from the descriptions of the teaser I was expecting something better. A good teaser, but not even the best one I've seen in the past three weeks.

xDareDevilx 01-04-03 09:18 AM

When I saw this trailer at the beginning of Gangs of NY I was totally surprised. I didn't know that Kill Bill was going to be out that soon (the trailer that is). When it said the 4th film by I got all excited and then when it said QT's name I jumped to the edge of my seat and grabbed the armrests. I got so excited and still am. I think it's the best trailer I've ever seen and I plan on seeing the film many many times when it comes out. This is by far the most anticipated film for me of all time. I cannot wait!

El-Kabong 01-04-03 12:45 PM

You know - I'm a huge Kung Fu fan, but the trailer left me kind of cold. I cant explain why, just that the trailer seemed very "Been there, done that", unlike - oh, say Equilibrium. Now THAT trailer drove me into a frenzy of anticipation.

DVDho78DTS 01-04-03 01:58 PM

What a great trailer.

d2cheer 01-04-03 03:56 PM

Originally posted by Geofferson
Looks fantastic! :up:
YUP!!

das Monkey 01-04-03 05:29 PM

Frankly, the teaser could have just been written words scrolling across the screen that read, "You ... yeah, you ... das Monkey ... you're an idiot ... go home and kill yourself ... oh yeah, the next Tarantino film is coming out" and I'd be freakin' pumped to no end, so a cool teaser is just icing on the cake. I know it's become trite to oooh and aaah over his films, but the guy's just too damn good to ignore (verified IMO by a wonderful change of pace in <B>Jackie Brown</B>), and I can't wait to see his next effort.

das

RevLiver 01-04-03 06:04 PM

Saw this before Gangs of New York and it left me underwhelmed. And the rest of the audience wasn't enjoying it either. It actually received many snickers of derision from the audience.

jdpatri 01-04-03 06:26 PM

I don't know... I wasn't very excited about this movie until I just saw the trailer...

So what if it doesn't exceed Big Trouble in Little China in all of our fanboy minds?? If it's even half as entertaining as BTILC, I'll be entertained and knowing QT's love of great music, Kill Bill will undoubtedly provide ample aural sensation in addition to some old school kung-fu action. Sounds good to me!

GeoffK 01-04-03 09:50 PM

Well I am sure it'll be better than Kung-Pow :p

palebluedot 01-04-03 10:12 PM

Originally posted by das Monkey
Frankly, the teaser could have just been written words scrolling across the screen that read, "You ... yeah, you ... das Monkey ... you're an idiot ... go home and kill yourself ... oh yeah, the next Tarantino film is coming out" and I'd be freakin' pumped to no end, so a cool teaser is just icing on the cake. I know it's become trite to oooh and aaah over his films, but the guy's just too damn good to ignore (verified IMO by a wonderful change of pace in <B>Jackie Brown</B>), and I can't wait to see his next effort.

das

I couldn't agree more. Given QT's love for Martial Arts flicks combined with his style and dialogue...I think this movie is going to be great fun on many levels.

das Monkey 01-04-03 10:28 PM

The dreamer in me wonders if commercial success could spell <B>Big Trouble in Little China II</B>. ;)

das

joeydaninja 01-05-03 05:43 AM

Chigusa is a babe.

Spoiler:
And I like the sequence after the snow scene, where they fight in the kitchen, Daryll Hannah starts walking and all the characters are presented. And Chigusa is a babe :D

Dr. DVD 01-07-03 04:56 PM

What is that music they are playing with the trailer?

Kal-El 01-07-03 05:13 PM

It's online already right? I just saw it last night and it blew me away. It's nice when you know NOTHING of a movie and get floored like that. :D

Rypro 525 01-07-03 05:16 PM

click here to see the trailer
http://www.apple.com/trailers/miramax/kill_bill/

Sessa17 01-07-03 06:50 PM

After the Matrix & Christopher Gan's next movie this is THE movie I am looking forward to the most this year.

I am sooooooooooooooooooooo sick of all these PC Pg-13 movies constantly coming out, this movie will be so refreshing. And with lines like what is in my signature the movie should have something that all of the classic kung-fu movies this movie pays homage to didn't. And that's good dialogue.

Dr. DVD 01-08-03 01:37 PM

Originally posted by Sessa17
After the Matrix & Christopher Gan's next movie this is THE movie I am looking forward to the most this year.

I am sooooooooooooooooooooo sick of all these PC Pg-13 movies constantly coming out, this movie will be so refreshing. And with lines like what is in my signature the movie should have something that all of the classic kung-fu movies this movie pays homage to didn't. And that's good dialogue.

Where did you find that sig.? Is the script already up online?

DVD NDN 01-08-03 01:56 PM

I'm pretty sure I saw the trailer when I saw Star Wars: AOTC in digital projection, along with Matrix 2.
Can't wait...

Sessa17 01-08-03 08:44 PM

Originally posted by Dr. DVD
Where did you find that sig.? Is the script already up online?
No script yet, (at least not that I know of), but if you check out the official website they have some lines from the movie. I just thought that line is about the coolest thing ever, say I had to use it somewhere.

Tyler_Durden 01-09-03 03:11 PM

The script has been online for months! It's an early 222-page draft. It can be easily found on the net.

Cosmic Bus 01-09-03 04:05 PM

Can anyone identify the music in the trailer? I've asked on at least eight different movie and music forums and no one has any idea...

Rza is doing the soundtrack, but that sure as hell doesn't sound like Rza. :)

JCJF10 01-09-03 06:01 PM

I hope this one turns out to be really cool!

My brother was the assistant weapons guy on this film.
Came back with some cool stuff and sweet photos of
many cast and QT shooting the guns.

Sweet! :D

Tyler_Durden 01-10-03 09:41 AM

Scans?

Mondo Kane 01-10-03 11:21 AM

Here's the answer [finally] to the trailer music:

The Japanese musician/guitarist/actor Hotei Tomayasu plays the music in the "Kill Bill" teaser trailer.

In actuality the music is taken from "Shin Jingi naki Tatakai" ("New Battle without Honor/Duty") a 2000 remake of the classic 70's yakuza film by Kinji Fukasaku (dir. of Battle Royale).

Hotei stars in the 2000 remake as well as his debut performance in the 1998 film "Samurai Fiction", an homage to and in the style of "Pulp Fiction" crossed with Japanese swordfights. eg. a rock n' roll samurai movie.

Tyler_Durden 01-10-03 07:32 PM

"Samurai Fiction" was awesome...

Cosmic Bus 01-10-03 08:22 PM

Excellent, thanks Kane! Now if only I could find an MP3...

lordzeppelin 01-10-03 10:20 PM

Originally posted by Sessa17
Damn, I thought I was the only one looking forward to Gans' next film...Crying Freeman was remarkable, Brotherhood of the Wolf was AMAZING, and I'm DROOLING for the next one...as well as Kill Bill

Dr. DVD 01-15-03 09:43 PM

If what I read of an early script is any indication, this will be one fun flick to watch!

However, I do not see how in the world the violence in this flick will make it past the censors and ratings board. Then again, one could look at Pulp Fictions script and say the same thing.