Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Movie Talk
Reload this Page >

Horror Cinema and boxoffice.....

Community
Search
Movie Talk A Discussion area for everything movie related including films In The Theaters

Search this Thread

Old 09-17-03, 09:07 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 625 Likes on 482 Posts

Hey I'm participating in a group investigation about horror cinema. Orginally it was meant to be of the role of women in horror cinema but now my group decided to do it about the box office success of horror films that feature a final girl (or final boy, in the case of the Evil Dead films) versus those that do not.

Where can I find an accurate lisitng of the box office of old horror films and new horror films? It need not be a site devoted exclusively to the box office of said genre but at least a list that is comprehensive enough to cover the early 70's to present.
Old 09-17-03, 09:25 AM

Received 122 Likes on 84 Posts
The Internet Movie Database (www.imdb.com) has this information, although you'll really have to work to get it.

I can give you your answer, however: there is no difference. The ending of a film (particularly horror) doesn't affect box office since people don't know it going in.
Old 09-17-03, 10:15 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally posted by Groucho
I can give you your answer, however: there is no difference. The ending of a film (particularly horror) doesn't affect box office since people don't know it going in.
My thoughts exactly... it wouldn't make a difference to the box office... now, if you're study was trying to see what gets a horror script greenlighted...than maybe....no, that probably wouldn't work either.... good luck with it.

MATT
Old 09-17-03, 10:50 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 625 Likes on 482 Posts
Thanks guys. I tried imdb before posting but wondered if there was a more comprehensive site.

In any case, we returned to our original subject of investigation as to the role of women in horror cinema and it's psychological and sociological implications.

But, once again, thank you guys for the replies.
Old 09-17-03, 04:26 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
just an idea:
you might want to make somekind of poll going between leading male & female of horror movies that actually did good or poor...
along with simple (or detail) information on why the voters decided to choose that person/movie & yada-yada-yada...

then you can compare the result with the box office numbers & draw your own conclusion or whatever....

hope it helps & good luck