Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Movie Talk
Reload this Page >

What's the worst "Halloween" news you could think of?

Community
Search
Movie Talk A Discussion area for everything movie related including films In The Theaters

Search this Thread

Old 09-16-03, 01:08 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

From Creature-corner.com:

"Tell me, have you heard the latest rumor about Dimension's Halloween 9? Oh, it's a doozy: Sean Cunningham is supposedly directing it. But that rumor, which originated on the IMDB, has already been quashed. So has that other annoying piece of news that Alan McElroy (who penned Halloween 4 and Wrong Turn) was returning on scripting duties.

Forget all that bullshit.

Sources inside and outside of Dimension Films have informed Creature-Corner that the genre production house responsible for the Halloween franchise from part 6 and on is reportedly throwing in exorbitant amounts of money to bring series creator John Carpenter back into the fold…to remake the film that started it all.

Dimension is seeking to have Carpenter draft and direct a Halloween update rather than further the new stream of continuity built in H20 and carried on into Halloween: Resurrection. They want to start from scratch. Re-introduce Laurie Strode, Dr. Loomis, and Michael Myers to a new generation of audiences apparently believed to be (by the studio execs) "video store deprived."

Essentially the same mentality that made the 2003 remake of The Texas Chainsaw Massacre a reality.

Whether Carpenter will take the bait or not is still to be determined, but at least you know, dear readers, that Dimension is working towards this goal. They're putting the energy into the idea.

We'd like to take this as rumor but our sources are too damn close to Dimension's doors to doubt them. These are the same folks who brought us word on Carpenter and Debra Hill's proposed remake of The Fog (reported here originally and later officially announced - see an update below) last year. They're also the ones who gave us the heads-up on Dimension's fast-tracked Myers vs. Pinhead project (and no the source isn't Dave Parker) so if you choose to remain a skeptic, so be it. We don't blame you. Experience and history has taught us though that this town is absolutely batty, I'm not going to shrug this news off as a hollow rumor.

Regarding that remake of The Fog: While we haven't heard about much movement on the project other than the fact that Hill and Carpenter are still looking for someone to fund the script, we have heard more plot details. Apparently the premise doesn't involve a ship of ghost lepers who use the shroud of a fog bank to wreak their revenge, this remake sounds more like an update and involves a band of slaughtered…get this…gang members (!) who stalk their victims in the fog.

This makes one wonder: If Carpenter gave The Fog a more modern spin indicative of the times, would this mean he'd give Halloween a completely fresh jive to capture the movie-going youth of today? Perhaps not set Halloween in Haddonfield, but in the hood? You balk at the idea now but you also probably laughed with your friends about how crazy someone would have to be to have the balls to remake the film.

Should this news become official, remember where you heard it first. And keeping checking back in with us for more details."

http://www.creature-corner.com/news3...eenremake.php3

Please god no....
Old 09-16-03, 01:15 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 478 Likes on 314 Posts
I guess this makes me some kind of a hypocrite since I decried the re-making of Psycho, Texas Chainsaw Massacre and Dawn of the Dead, but I wouldn't mind going to see a John Carpenter re-make of Halloween. Sounds like it could be fun. Halloween is one of my favorite horror films but I never think of the sequals. They haven't tarnished my enjoyment of the original in the slightest. If you can have Busta Rhymes duking it out with Michael Meyers, there's no way you could film a re-invention that would be anymore shameful.*

*Unless you got Busta Ryhmes to play Dr. Loomis.
Old 09-16-03, 02:01 AM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I don't see how this could be a good idea. Remake Halloween? Bad idea. Hire JOhn Carpenter? Worse idea, that man stopped making good movies along time ago. His recent stuff is just...bad.
Old 09-16-03, 06:18 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 263 Likes on 191 Posts
Originally posted by jaeufraser
I don't see how this could be a good idea. Remake Halloween? Bad idea. Hire JOhn Carpenter? Worse idea, that man stopped making good movies along time ago. His recent stuff is just...bad.
IN Your Humble Opinion that is... some of us beg to differ....
Old 09-16-03, 07:39 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

I wouldn't mind a remake, I recently saw it for the first time and was very disappointed. Had promise, but imo was simpy a bad movie. Terrible acting.
Old 09-16-03, 07:42 AM

Received 122 Likes on 84 Posts
Paging Gus Van Sant...
Old 09-16-03, 07:46 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Only Roger Corman could do this justice.
Old 09-16-03, 08:04 AM

Received 5 Likes on 2 Posts
"Halloween" is one of the undebatable classics for me. It's like an independent film textbook. I love every single frame of that movie. ANY remake is a bad idea, but bringing Carpenter back to butcher his own baby, crap on a cracker! Like most, I worship the early Carpenter, up until the point of "They Live" or so. After that it's been extremely spotty (again, my experience. I know that Vampires and Escape From LA have their fans). I just think this is a bad bad bad bad idea. Bad.
Old 09-16-03, 02:10 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Location: Somewhere Hot Scoville Units: 9,999,999 Zodiac Sign: Capricorn
Received 811 Likes on 316 Posts
I seriously doubt Carpenter would agree to have any part of this debauchery. Plus he's already expressed his dislike for the sequels.
Old 09-16-03, 02:51 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

I’m not remakeophobic; in fact I’m looking forward to Chainsaw, but bringing Carpenter back for a fresh take on Halloween seems like a bad idea—it’s doubtful he could recapture the magic of the original. Hopefully, common sense will trump greed and Carpenter will reject the offer.

FWIW, I agree with jaeufraser and Fake; Carpenter, hasn’t made a good movie in ages.
Old 09-16-03, 03:11 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Rats, I was hoping for Halloween 9: Second Season of the Witch.

Honk!
Old 09-16-03, 03:29 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 212 Likes on 185 Posts
Originally posted by Charlie Goose
Rats, I was hoping for Halloween 9: Second Season of the Witch.

Honk!
Old 09-16-03, 06:46 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

A heartfelt & sincere take on this news (Don't give me any jive, my brothers!) ...

Since halloween is my favorite film of all time (I know I say that a lot about other films, I mean it this time!)
And I am a big john carpenter fan, this news initially sounded interesting.
The more I think about it though, the more it depresses me.
Why mess with a good thing? Halloween is the perfect slasher film, and as some reviewers have pointed out, it's the godfather of it's genre.

Would you want to see a remake of the godfather? Hell no!

There is no fresh take on the halloween story. It's been done to death. Sure if there is a fresh spin, carpenter is the man to do it. But I really don't think there is anything left.

Besides, pleasance is dead. He was integral for the first picture's charm. God rest his soul.

Disney has bilked whatever it could out of the series, now it wants to bilk the ultimate source... it's creator.
I'm pretty sure carpie can be bought, I mean, who would say NO to all that money and after a string of unsuccessful films? I really hope he doesn't do it.

And if he does do it...

Make a different movie. As different as it possibly can be.
Have fun with it. Make it intelligent and thought provoking.
But for god's sakes let those characters stay buried!

BTW- I am somewhat excited about chainsaw.
I have some resistance to it's need to have existed, but, I am expecting a fun time. Plus as much as I love chainsaw, I wouldn't mind a fresh spin on the same story. Unlike halloween.

Halloween is too linear of a tale to mess with. It's a simple story of a modern day boogeyman who puts fear into the hearts of the young for inexplicable reasons.

Leave it be!
Old 09-16-03, 08:41 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Received 45 Likes on 26 Posts
I have no problem with any of these remakes. If they suck, then they suck. I'll still have my originals on my DVD shelf. If they are successful, then it opens the door to more Horror Films. There might be a few remakes but those are low risk films for the studios. If those make money, then we'll get lots more horror.
Old 09-16-03, 10:56 PM
DRG
DVD Talk Legend

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
How about a Halloween film where the three main roles (Laurie, Loomis, and Myers) and played by Mike Myers (Austin Powers)?

Seriously, while this remake news isn't a great idea, it's no worse than most of the recent sequels.
Old 09-16-03, 11:58 PM
Banned

Might as well remake The Excorcist.

oh wait...
Old 09-17-03, 12:09 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 723 Likes on 528 Posts
I'd rather have John do "More Big Trouble in Little China" than to remake "Halloween".
Old 09-17-03, 12:49 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

I have no problem with any of these remakes. If they suck, then they suck. I'll still have my originals on my DVD shelf. If they are successful, then it opens the door to more Horror Films.
Are you kidding me? Everytime a studio decides to remake a classic film, it means less money for new ideas. Halloween is a classic but the progessively worse sequels have really diminished the whole Mike Myers thing.

This probably won't happen, but if it did, it would be a complete waste, even if it was good.
Old 09-17-03, 01:54 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally posted by chanster
This probably won't happen, but if it did, it would be a complete waste, even if it was good.
Even if it was good?

It all just seems so unneccessary. Remakes are hardly anything new, but what I can't stand is all this talk of "franchises". They're always banging on about finding the next BIG FRANCHISE... turning something into a FRANCHISE. It's a movie, not a Starbucks or a Dunkin Donuts!

Of course, as long as the originals are available on DVD in all their glory, I don't see a problem with it. Most of these remakes tend to get forgotten about anyway... and as always, if you don't want to see it... don't watch it!

I have to agree with devilshalo... although I would prefer it were called "Bigger Trouble in Littler China".
Old 09-17-03, 06:26 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 478 Likes on 314 Posts
Originally posted by cheapskate

I have to agree with devilshalo... although I would prefer it were called "Bigger Trouble in Littler China".
Why not combine it? They Escape From Bigger Trouble in Littler China on Halloween.
Old 09-17-03, 07:09 PM

Received 11 Likes on 9 Posts
Originally posted by Crocker Jarmen
Why not combine it? They Escape From Bigger Trouble in Littler China on Halloween.
What about They Escape From Bigger Trouble in Littler China on the Foggy Halloween?
Old 09-17-03, 08:49 PM
Banned

How about Snake Plissken Meets Jack Crow vs. Michael Meyers?
Old 09-18-03, 02:38 PM
Suspended

Originally posted by ftsoh
What about They Escape From Bigger Trouble in Littler China on the Foggy Halloween?
hmmm how can I work in The Thing?
Old 09-18-03, 03:18 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

the thing that escape from bigger trouble in little china on the foggy halloween?

Old 09-18-03, 03:35 PM

Received 5 Likes on 2 Posts
Assault on the thing that escapes from bigger trouble in little china on a foggy Halloween.

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.