Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Movie Talk
Reload this Page >

I just saw dead presidents.

Community
Search
Movie Talk A Discussion area for everything movie related including films In The Theaters

Search this Thread

Old 09-10-03, 08:51 PM
Doctorwho

The back said it was about a perfect hiest. And the picture made it look like a cool criminal movie. Like heat or something. I wasnt expecting what I saw.

It reminded me of the deer hunter. I really really didn't like it though.

Every character was unlikable and you wanted them to get caught. It wasnt what I expected and I'm kinda sick of feel bad for vietnam vetran movies, not that I dont think we should feel bad for them. Why isn't any of these filmmakers making movies for the vetran's of the korean war or wwi or the many many wars through out history?

It really reminded me of a spike lee type movie.
Old 09-10-03, 11:21 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I thought the movie was ok, nothing great though. i do get this movie confused with the walking dead alot.

there have been tons of ww2 movies. nam movies are abound since it is most recent and showed a side of war that hasn't been seen by non combatants until then. anyway it's not like their is deluge of nam movies. can't think of one recently save for that gibson one.
Old 09-11-03, 06:23 AM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 19 Likes on 14 Posts
Dead Presidents I like because of the four acts it has (before the war, the war, after the war, the heist). Plus, it's a great soundtrack.
Old 09-11-03, 08:03 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I love this film, but to each his own.
Old 09-11-03, 10:37 AM

Received 99 Likes on 82 Posts
I like the movie as well. Underrated, IMO.
Old 09-11-03, 11:15 AM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

I'm a fan. The photography/pacing during the actual heist is a-mazing, imo.
Old 09-11-03, 11:20 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 482 Likes on 318 Posts
I should watch this again some day. I saw it when it was out in theaters, but was really put off by the constant genre changing. I remember really liking the first half but lost intrest during the latter half robbery stuff.
Old 09-11-03, 11:25 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 114 Likes on 101 Posts
Re: I just saw dead presidents.

Originally posted by Doctorwho
The back said it was about a perfect hiest. And the picture made it look like a cool criminal movie.
The trailers made it look that way too.
So I was slightly disappointed when the film had ended since this was basically false advertisment. However, I did go back to see it again a couple of times. And this time (Just as the way Bus described it) I viewed the film as a 4-part act and things worked out a little bit better.

It was also a blast to see the audiences' reactions to all the gory sequences in 'Nam! And yeah, the soundtrack rocks. Isacc Hayes', "Walk on By" (One of my all-time favorite tunes) fits the movie just perfectly.
Old 09-12-03, 01:53 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
IMO its the Hughes Bros best film.
Old 09-12-03, 02:37 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 16 Likes on 10 Posts
I'm sorry.
Old 09-12-03, 11:12 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally posted by zero
I'm sorry.

Nothing else to add, zero?
Old 09-12-03, 12:09 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 16 Likes on 10 Posts
Originally posted by Tarantino

Nothing else to add, zero?
What more is there to say? He didnt like it, and neither did I.
Old 09-12-03, 01:17 PM
Doctorwho

I also rented fargo, true romance, almost famous and boondock saints. Too many movies. blehhh........

I thought fargo had some awkward unique type charm, I had only seen parts before on tv, and was taken with it.

True Romance I was disapointed in, I thought it was going to be like pulp fiction or something mind blowing, I mean it was okay, but it seemed like the movie was shot for real real cheap. And they never explained what happened to Chris Walken's character.

Boondock Saints I liked, I thought it was going to be a serious saints killing type movie, but it was a funny action movie. Reminded me a lot of desperado.

Almost Famous I didn't really like. Yeah the acting was great, but all unlikable characters with a basic 'coming of age' premise. I just knew what was going to happen. And Jason Lee and Francis Mcdormit were great in it.

Why am I telling you all this? I'm bored.
Old 09-12-03, 03:06 PM

Received 5 Likes on 2 Posts
I think this is one of the great "lost" movies of the 90's, in that it seemed to just get swallowed up. Terribly underrated. I remember going opening night in a nearly empty theater, and being blown away.

It's not just a heist flick. It's a nostalgia flick, a slice of life growing up in the city flick, a war flick, AND a heist flick. It's epic in scope. And yeah, the soundtrack is amazing. Anytime I hear Curtis Mayfield in a movie, I'm happy.