Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Movie Talk
Reload this Page >

Unpopular Movie Opinions Part II

Community
Search
Movie Talk A Discussion area for everything movie related including films In The Theaters

Unpopular Movie Opinions Part II

Search this Thread

Old 09-05-03, 01:04 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally posted by MrGoat00
1. carlito's way is de palma's best film
2. m. nights best is unbreakable (probably not that unpopular)

5. the two towers sucked
6. the ring sucked
I overwhemingly agree with you on these points!
Old 09-05-03, 01:07 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally posted by DIVX Rulz
Referring to M. Night Shyamalan as M. Night Shamalamadingdong is not and has never been funny. I remembering rolling my eyes at that joke back in 1999 when the 6th sense came out.

Now replacing Bob Saget last name from the letter S to the letter F.... that's freakin' comic gold

Come on, BOTH those are hilarious!!! Shamalamadingdong forever!!!! I just picture Otis Day's smooth tones!
Old 09-05-03, 01:11 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Alot of the opinions posted on this thread are really not that unpopular at all. Here's two of my opinions, which are pretty unpopular:

Big Trouble (2002) is one of the funniest movies I've seen in years.

Surf Ninjas is a good, funny movie.

I also know somebody who feels that the theatrical version of The Abyss is better than the extended version. He is the ONLY person I've ever talked to that felt that way.
Old 09-05-03, 02:53 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

AI was an amazing movie.

No one gives enough respect to:
-Killer Klowns from Outer Space
-Fast and the Furious
-Jason goes to Hell

Everyone raves about these CRAPPY movies:
-Titanic
-Beautiful Mind
-American Beauty

I like this thread I can say whatever and no one will post thirty threads bashing my opinions.
Old 09-05-03, 03:03 PM
Suspended

Originally posted by jonpeters
I like this thread I can say whatever and no one will post thirty threads bashing my opinions.
That's stupidest drivel I've ever hear on these boards. Dude - you SUCK.

(This message close captioned for the humor impaired)
Old 09-05-03, 03:28 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Originally posted by Ted The Bug
I also know somebody who feels that the theatrical version of The Abyss is better than the extended version. He is the ONLY person I've ever talked to that felt that way.
I don’t care for the extended cut; that ending just goes on and on and on and with each additional second the “craft,” which is lame to begin with, melts into a steaming hot pile of Velveeta.
Old 09-05-03, 03:53 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Here's an 'opinion': the opinion that "anime sucks" and that anything animated is only for kids is not an opinion, it's close-minded drivel. People who think animation is only for kids have been exposed to too many Disney flicks and Loony Toons shows. You might as well say "adults should stick to photography; paintings are for children". Was The Simpsons (when it was still a good show) "just for kids"? Funny that in our culture the only animated genre that is considered acceptable to be appreciated by adults is comedy... once a show arrived that actually took it seriously. Meanwhile, halfway around the world was a culture that had already embraced animation as a mature form of entertainment for decades because there were animated shows and films to actually take seriously.

And please, enough of the "anime sucks" crap. Anime sucks about as much as American cinema and television sucks, because that's pretty much what "anime" encompasses in Japan. If you don't like anime, or if you want to say that most of the anime played on American television is kiddie crap or that you don't like a particular show or movie, then fine, there's an opinion. But to judge a huge aspect of an entire culture's entertainment industry based on what is obviously incredibly limited and American-skewed exposure to it and then try to pass off your own opinion on it as fact just makes you look stupid.

I've seen many animated pieces of work that were a much higher form of art, much more intelligent, and not nearly as insulting to my intelligence as most live-action stuff that has come out of the US. But then again.....there couldn't possibly be anything animated that's more mature than those Looney Toons. Caroons are for kids
Old 09-05-03, 03:56 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Titanic is an excellent movie. Leo is a great actor.

The only Coen brothers' films that are any good are O Brother, Where Art Thou? and Miller's Crossing. All the rest are crap.

I hate anime.

Nicolas Cage is one fugly guy.

Jacko Nicholson is a one-note actor.

Just because a film has subtitles, it doesn't mean it's superior to an American film.

Mickey Rooney is THE greatest actor in the history of film. He's been a star as a child, a teenager, a young adult, and an older man. He's excelled in every genre; comedy, drama, musicals, romance.

The "first" Star Wars movies (SW, TESB, RotJ) were okay. Never saw the recent ones.

Christmas is not the same without seeing the following:
Scrooge - with Albert Finney
A Christmas Carol - with Alistair Sim
Scrooged
It's a Wonderful Life - I remember when it was on 17 times a day.
Miracle on 34th Street - The original only. The remakes bite.
Mr. Magoo's Christmas Carol
A Charlie Brown Christmas - I always. Liked the way. They spoke in. Stilted speech due. To editing.

In older movies, I think it's hilarious when a black person would get scared. Their eyes would bug out, and they would say something like, "LAWDY HAVE MERCY! FEETS DON'T FAILS ME NOW!" I know it's offensive, but it's still funny.

Honk!
Old 09-05-03, 04:13 PM
DVD Talk Reviewer

Location: WAS looking for My Own Private Stuckeyville, but stuck in Liberty City (while missing Vice City)
Originally posted by tha_dvd_man
And please, enough of the "anime sucks" crap. Anime sucks about as much as American cinema and television sucks, because that's pretty much what "anime" encompasses in Japan. If you don't like anime, or if you want to say that most of the anime played on American television is kiddie crap or that you don't like a particular show or movie, then fine, there's an opinion. But to judge a huge aspect of an entire culture's entertainment industry based on what is obviously incredibly limited and American-skewed exposure to it and then try to pass off your own opinion on it as fact just makes you look stupid.
Actually, opinions are just that...OPINIONS. No one is claiming it's fact. If he believes that ALL Anime "sucks", that's HIS opinion. There have been quite a few on here that i've disagreed with [Caddyshack being unfunny, for one]..doesn't mean it's a fact and one should get all bent out of shape about it. It just means that Trelach24 is WRONG. Even if he made a blanket statement saying all COMEDIES aren't funny, it's still...HIS opinion.

And, IMO, getting upset over someone's opinion just makes one look stupid.
Old 09-05-03, 04:54 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

The scenes before Hoffman and Beatty leave the country in Ishtar are some of the funniest moments ever filmed.
Old 09-05-03, 04:57 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Titanic was great and I wouldn't have minded Leo as Anakin.
The inclusion of Bobba Fett's story in the prequels was one of the stupidest moves ever by George.
Chris Columbus did a good job on the Potter films
John Williams is the best movie score composer
Tarantino is waaaay too overrated
Old 09-05-03, 04:58 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 1,793 Likes on 1,121 Posts
Originally posted by audrey
I don’t care for the extended cut; that ending just goes on and on and on and with each additional second the “craft,” which is lame to begin with, melts into a steaming hot pile of Velveeta.

I normally like extended versions but The Abyss ext version is crap. It was nothing more than "Humans are bad and we aliens have come to show you the way"
Old 09-05-03, 05:02 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

The Matrix Reloaded was a great movie, given its nature (the middle movie) it began AND ENDED perfectly.

Natural Born Killers was a horrible movie. it tries too hard to be contreversial and anyone who mentions it in the same sentence as Pulp Fiction is crazy.

Unbreakable was an excellent movie. It was not too slow and had enough action. M NIght captured the atmosphere he was looking for, a cold and distant movie about a cold and distant protagonist.
Old 09-05-03, 05:39 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Donnie Darko sucked.

Calling M. Night Shyamalan "M. Night Shamalamadingdong" is dumb. Also, I happen to love his movies.

A Walk to Remember was a really good movie. Mandy Moore has a future in acting if she wants to (though I haven't seen any other movies with her).

Charlie's Angels was really good. Full Throttle wasn't.

Jennifer Connelly, though hot as hell (which isn't an unpopular opinion), didn't deserve the Oscar for her role in A Beautiful Mind.

Ballistic: Ecks vs. Sever is actually a pretty good movie.

I wish Vin Diesel never blew up into an action star. I loved him in Pitch Black and especially Boiler Room, but I haven't watched any of his movies since The Fast and the Furious.

Urban Legend is a great movie if you've heard of the urban legends in the movie prior to watching the movie (which I did). Otherwise, it probably sucks.

Mark Wahlberg is underrated as an actor.

Ben Affleck is a horrible actor but his movies are usually pretty good.

Matt Damon is a good actor.

Old 09-05-03, 05:54 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 13 Likes on 5 Posts
Full Throttle was better than the first one.

Jackie Brown proved to me that Tarantino wasn't just some flash in the pan.

I will proudly go see Kill Bill Volume one and two at the theaters on both movies' opening days.

Reindeer Games, The Cell, and I Spy were good movies.

Casablanca is the most over rated movie in history. It's probbaly tied with Gone with the Wind though.

Samuel L Jackson automatically makes a movie better. Except maybe for SWAT. That movie lacked something.
Old 09-05-03, 07:20 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Chicago was one of the worst films of last year...or ever IMHO.

They tried waaay to hard on this film. The acting was plastic and the choreography was horrible. I had to cringe during the prison song. Even a few nice shots of KZJ didn't help me recover from seeing this pile of dung.

I couldn't believe this film actually won Oscars...but then the academy also gave Shakespeare in Love best picture. Another horrible film.
Old 09-06-03, 01:10 AM

The Lion King should have been nominated for best picture.

Rio Bravo was as good as High Noon and should be on the AFI top 100 list.

The two Alfred Hitchcock films i've seen (The Birds and North by Northwest) were boring wastes of time.

Jude Law is an underrated actor and should have been nominated for best supporting actor in Road to Perdition instead of Paul Newman.

Gone with the Wind deserves all the praise it receives.
Old 09-06-03, 05:48 AM

I liked Unbreakable more than Sixth Sense. Granted, it was a bit boring at times, but
Spoiler:
at least it wasn't as predictable, and I really liked the "Mr. Glass the villain" -twist in the end

I've only seen Terminator II and I didn't like it at all. I don't have much interest towards I or III.

Saving Private Ryan wasn't that good, although the D-Day scene was impressive.
Old 09-06-03, 08:54 AM

Originally posted by FiveO
Chicago was one of the worst films of last year...or ever IMHO.
I agree. I couldn't feel anything for any of the characters.

The most hated film of last year that I actually liked: Swept Away.
Old 09-06-03, 09:22 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

1. From Dusk Till Dawn 2: Texas Blood Money was a very enjoyable flick.
2. Lord of the Rings: Fellowship of the Ring was rather dull.
3. The Matrix was downright terrible.
4. Four Rooms is extremely underrated.
5. Hudson Hawk is a good movie.
6. Requiem for a Dream was boring and repetive. I was not shocked or disturbed.
7. Rushmore should be shot.

I'm sure I could go on.
Old 09-06-03, 09:30 AM

I also liked Swept Away. I thought it was funny, well acted, and had an unpredictable ending for a romance film. Unfortunately, mindless Madonna bashing was a national pastime last year ( or any year ) , and this film got caught up in that whole storm.
Old 09-06-03, 09:54 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Unpopular opinion: Everyone else on Earth is an idiot with bad tastes in movies.
Old 09-23-03, 02:40 AM

Just because I like this thread....

Robert DeNiro is great in comedies.
Old 09-23-03, 02:46 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 479 Likes on 315 Posts
Originally posted by AndyB976
Just because I like this thread....

Robert DeNiro is great in comedies.
That reminds me, after watching Heat last night, I see for a fact that Al Pacino is a pathetic actor. His delivery methed of accentuating certain words by screaming at the top of lungs is embarrassing. I know he was Michael Corlene thirty years ago, but he play every role now like he was in an SNL skit.
Old 09-23-03, 04:41 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 7 Likes on 1 Post
Keanu Reeves is a good actor.
Steve Buschemi is way overrated and he's quite ugly.
Godfather movies are boring and crappy.
I like Vin Diesel
Nearly all female actors suck at acting
Nobody has ever gotten an academy award that deserved one
Fargo was a pile
Big Lebowski was a bigger pile
Both X-men movies were complete crap
Starship Troopers was brilliant.
Dumb and Dumber was not funny
The only good Halloween movie was part 3
I liked Alien 3
Holy Grail is crap - I liked it when I was 14.

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.