Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Movie Talk
Reload this Page >

Re-watching one of your favorite films - does it ever seem like a whole new movie?

Community
Search
Movie Talk A Discussion area for everything movie related including films In The Theaters

Re-watching one of your favorite films - does it ever seem like a whole new movie?

Search this Thread

Old 08-29-03, 04:57 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I've seen The Fellowship of the Ring many times. I saw it three times in the theater, about three more times after buying the theatrical cut last August, and at least five more times since I got the EE. I've always loved the movie very much, but it never seemed like a great movie. However, I watched it again today and something clicked. I can't really put my finger on it, but something felt different. I found myself deeply moved where I hadn't been in the past. Boromir's parting words almost made me cry, as did Gandolf's death. These parts have never had that effect on me. Similarly, many other scenes, such as Lothlorian and Rivendell, seemed much more poignant and meaningful than they ever have. I found myself empathizing with the thoughts and fears of the characters more than ever; the scene where Boromir tries to take the ring actually felt disturbing. Overall, the movie just seemed like a totally different experience, and now I love it even more.

So what's different? Has it just taken me this long to see how great this movie really is? Or maybe I'm just overly emotional today, I don't know.
Old 08-29-03, 05:30 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
I enjoyed FOTR much better the second time I watched it as well. I dont know maybe just sitting so long in the theatre got to me, or whatever. I am hoping the same thing happens with TTT, because I really didnt enjoy it that much, but I also watched it at a midnight showing so I think the same may happen again.
Old 08-30-03, 12:29 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

I think there are many aspects of dvd that can make a familiar movie seem like something totally new.

My first experience with this was probably when Blue Velvet was first released on dvd. Blue Velvet was a film I had seen about 50 times on vhs. I visually knew the movie very well. I had never seen it in widescreen before (I had only seen it on my vhs). When the first dvd was released and I saw it in widescreen for the first time, it was like I didn't know this movie at all and was seeing it for the first time. Just a great example of how important Lynch's compositions are.

Also, one of my favorite ways of re-experiencing a familiar movie as something fresh is isolated music tracks. I wish more dvds had this as an option. It can turn a movie you know by heart into something totally new.
Old 08-30-03, 12:54 AM

Unfortunately, yes. I was obsessed with American History X for a long time. I would watch it on Starz all the time. A few years passed without watching it, in which time I developed better taste. Then I bought it on DVD, watched it, and realized that it's not actually a great film.
Old 08-30-03, 01:09 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

I think that once you see a movie many times you get to know it.

I compare it to being in the driver's seat of a car driving somewhere. Being the driver is like seeing the movie a few times and paying attention to the storyline/roads.

Once you're familiar with the movie you become the passenger and don't have to keep your eyes on the road and you start noticing other things.

Once you become so familiar with the story you are able to focus on other aspects and maybe see things you overlooked on past viewings because your attention was drawn elsewhere.

I'm stoopid.
Old 08-30-03, 01:49 AM

Originally posted by Samuel

I'm stoopid.
No, that was very well said, and I totally agree with you.
Old 08-30-03, 04:13 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Re: Re-watching one of your favorite films - does it ever seem like a whole new movie?

Originally posted by caiman However, I watched it again today and something clicked. I can't really put my finger on it, but something felt different. I found myself deeply moved where I hadn't been in the past. Boromir's parting words almost made me cry, as did Gandolf's death. These parts have never had that effect on me. Similarly, many other scenes, such as Lothlorian and Rivendell, seemed much more poignant and meaningful than they ever have. I found myself empathizing with the thoughts and fears of the characters more than ever; the scene where Boromir tries to take the ring actually felt disturbing. Overall, the movie just seemed like a totally different experience
I know exactly what you mean...it's called Mescaline. It's the only way to fly.

I'm kidding, I'm kidding. This happened to me with the The Matrix. I saw it twice and really enjoyed the action, fighting, etc. The third time I saw it everything in the story clicked. All of the subtle clues and foreshadowing suddenly stood out. I've loved the movie ever since.

BTW, love you're signature.
Old 08-30-03, 01:06 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I compare it to being in the driver's seat of a car driving somewhere. Being the driver is like seeing the movie a few times and paying attention to the storyline/roads.

Once you're familiar with the movie you become the passenger and don't have to keep your eyes on the road and you start noticing other things.

Once you become so familiar with the story you are able to focus on other aspects and maybe see things you overlooked on past viewings because your attention was drawn elsewhere.

I'm stoopid.

Yeah, that's not stupid, that makes complete sense. I know I have movies I've seen several times and I notice the small details that I always over looked in the past. You start to pay attention to things other than the main action in the center of the screen and you notice a lot of stuff. One such movie for me is Ghost World. There is quite a bit of detail the director put in there to reward a repeat viewer. And I think that's the way it is with many movies we watch again, and that's one reason there is a rewatch value in them, because they are so layered and detailed.

Once in a while I will watch a movie that moves me in a particular way that it didn't the first time I saw it. Spider Man is a recent example. Maybe it's because I was paying more attention to the details and such, but things like Uncle Ben's death and some of the finer moments of the movie touched me in a way that never touched me before when I saw it.
Old 08-31-03, 08:56 AM

Fantastic, I highly recommend you give TTT a second shot, because what you described (hoping a second time makes you like it more) is the exact same thing that happened to me today when I watched the film for a second time.

On the initial viewing of TTT in theaters, I liked the film, but felt a certain sense of disappointment with it. My hopes had been ridiculously high for it after seeing what in my eyes may be one of the greatest trailers of all time (its on the dvd, and the footage along with the Requiem music almost brings me to tears for some reason). With those high expectations, I was pissed off at some things...I was hoping they would use the Requiem music during the Helm's Deep battle, which they did not. I was upset about the music (felt it needed to be more dramatic, when the composer felt it needed to be more subtle), I felt that some of the characters just popped out of nowhere (Faromir), and I started to squirm in the theater. I was also seated in the second row, which sucks.

But then I watched the film today, and it was so completely different, fulfilling. I actually sat back and tried to let the film wash over me if that makes any sense. Just looking at the beauty of the images, and knowing what to expect in terms of score and storyline, I was able to digest it more. The battle of helm's deep, which I had not been overwhelmed by previously because of my stupid music gripe, became very powerful to me. When Gandalf rides his white horse into the battle...I almost lost it, it was so good.

The second time also, it is easy to follow the characters. The first time, Faromir and the banished nephew of the King seemed quite similar to me for some reason. Now, I could separate them. I assume that the extended version will bring even further development to these characters.

Even the Tree Ents portions of the movie, which I had despised the first time, entertained.

Just a complete turnaround. It made me feel.
Old 08-31-03, 03:22 PM

Originally posted by SteveyP93
Fantastic, I highly recommend you give TTT a second shot, because what you described (hoping a second time makes you like it more) is the exact same thing that happened to me today when I watched the film for a second time.

On the initial viewing of TTT in theaters, I liked the film, but felt a certain sense of disappointment with it. My hopes had been ridiculously high for it after seeing what in my eyes may be one of the greatest trailers of all time (its on the dvd, and the footage along with the Requiem music almost brings me to tears for some reason). With those high expectations, I was pissed off at some things...I was hoping they would use the Requiem music during the Helm's Deep battle, which they did not. I was upset about the music (felt it needed to be more dramatic, when the composer felt it needed to be more subtle), I felt that some of the characters just popped out of nowhere (Faromir), and I started to squirm in the theater. I was also seated in the second row, which sucks.

But then I watched the film today, and it was so completely different, fulfilling. I actually sat back and tried to let the film wash over me if that makes any sense. Just looking at the beauty of the images, and knowing what to expect in terms of score and storyline, I was able to digest it more. The battle of helm's deep, which I had not been overwhelmed by previously because of my stupid music gripe, became very powerful to me. When Gandalf rides his white horse into the battle...I almost lost it, it was so good.

The second time also, it is easy to follow the characters. The first time, Faromir and the banished nephew of the King seemed quite similar to me for some reason. Now, I could separate them. I assume that the extended version will bring even further development to these characters.

Even the Tree Ents portions of the movie, which I had despised the first time, entertained.

Just a complete turnaround. It made me feel.
For me, TTT impressed me entirely from the very first time I saw it. I saw it three times in the theater and liked it even more with each viewing. I bought the DVD last week and have already watched it twice since. I absolutely love this movie. If there is more to this movie yet to impress me, then it will be truly incredible. I wait anxiously for the EE.

These movies are absolutely brilliant.
Old 08-31-03, 07:13 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Well I am going to give it another shot, because I really enjoyed the FOTR. I think what got me with TTT was the fact I saw it so late after a long day and well the fact that seeing a movie in the theatres now a days can ruin anyones mood.
Old 09-01-03, 08:01 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

very well said