Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Movie Talk
Reload this Page >

Tupac & Biggie / Roger & Me: Worth Owning?

Community
Search
Movie Talk A Discussion area for everything movie related including films In The Theaters

Search this Thread

Old 08-26-03, 11:30 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Just wondering if it is worth getting dvds of Roger & Me and Tupac & Biggie. Looking more into the movie's appeal than the dvd itself. Do both of them look dated or still quite relevant to today's society?

Thanks!!!
Old 08-26-03, 01:22 PM
Banned

Dated? They're documentaries. I don't know how to answer that question.
Old 08-26-03, 02:10 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally posted by lesterlong
Dated? They're documentaries. I don't know how to answer that question.
Yeah, I wouldn't waste your time on Tupac & Biggie - incase you didn't already know, they're long since dead, and therefore completely dated and irrelevant.

I'd also skip Roger and Me, since Michael Moore has a NEW movie out now with much better special effects - and it's all about BOWLING! Whoopee!!

(seriously, Roger and Me is a great documentary... I would watch it)
Old 08-26-03, 03:37 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Sorry...

Didn't make it clear enough. What I meant about "dated" was not how the film looked but if the film still packs a punch when one watches it.

The reason why is because as much as I wanted to purchase "Roger & Me" I was a little bit hesitant since the documentary was made way back in the early 1990s, if I'm not mistaken. I do know some documentaries stand the test of time and are still relevant to current events.

Sorry for the confusion...
Old 08-26-03, 04:16 PM
Banned

"Roger & Me" is not a documentary.

It's a spin piece of Michael Moore's, an attempt (and a successful one at that) to get rich off of the problems of Flint, Michigan and it's failing auto industry.

Moore tries to paint the corporate heads of GM as eeeevil people screwing over the poor workers.

Well, as someone that lives in Flint, I can tell you that the "poor workers" are not as innocent and blameless as Moore wants you to think.
Old 08-26-03, 09:07 PM
Banned

Originally posted by JestersTear
"Roger & Me" is not a documentary.

It's a spin piece of Michael Moore's, an attempt (and a successful one at that) to get rich off of the problems of Flint, Michigan and it's failing auto industry.

Moore tries to paint the corporate heads of GM as eeeevil people screwing over the poor workers.

Well, as someone that lives in Flint, I can tell you that the "poor workers" are not as innocent and blameless as Moore wants you to think.
Nice. Moore thinks he's one of the people when he's far from it.
Old 08-26-03, 09:16 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Location: City of the lakers.. riots.. and drug dealing cops.. los(t) Angel(e)s. ca.
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
didn't take long for this to get into Moore Bashing.. -ohbrank-
Old 08-27-03, 07:33 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Re: Sorry...

Originally posted by Cardiac161
way back in the early 1990s
Old 08-27-03, 07:39 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally posted by lesterlong
Nice. Moore thinks he's one of the people when he's far from it.
Moore's not one of the people?! Is he a robot?

Seriously, knock off the "Moore's a commie/phony/fat jerk" crap. Take it to one of the many Moore bashing threads which exist for that purpose. This is about whether the movie is worth viewing or not. IMO, it's almost essential viewing, the very least reason being so that you can make up your own mind about Moore's style and message rather than having it being told to you by others. It also happens to be very, very entertaining and informative. Moore is not only a social commentator and excellent filmmaker, he also happens to be very funny.
Old 08-27-03, 07:56 AM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 19 Likes on 14 Posts
Biggie was a fat jerk.
Old 08-27-03, 08:01 AM

Received 122 Likes on 84 Posts
Both documentaries are VERY dated. The 1990's lingo is quaint and sometimes hilarious. For instance, instead of saying "Fo shizzle" they say "Yeah, sure."
Old 08-28-03, 08:12 AM
Banned

Originally posted by Numanoid
Moore's not one of the people?! Is he a robot?

Seriously, knock off the "Moore's a commie/phony/fat jerk" crap.
Wow, you and Jack are really sensitive. Someone criticizes your hero and you both start crying like little babies claiming that he's being "bashed."

How you can say that Moore's films are informative when he OUTRIGHT LIES in them is beyond me.

Anyone that has to lie to try and get their point across is not an excellent filmmaker, they are a worthless hack.

I'd provide you with some wonderful examples of Moore's lies from his recent non-documentary "Bowling for Columbine," but I'm sure that all you'd do is start whining again about me "bashing" him.
Old 08-28-03, 08:13 AM

Received 122 Likes on 84 Posts
Seriously, why does EVERY thread involving Michael Moore go downhill so quickly?
Old 08-28-03, 08:59 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 447 Likes on 253 Posts
Michael Moore...what a jerk...and isn't he the one that shot Biggie?

For many people here on the forum, a liberal with an audience is a dangerous thing.
Old 08-28-03, 10:15 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 15 Likes on 13 Posts
From DVDfile's review by Joshua Zyber:

Roger & Me is simply a great film, one whose subject matter is just as timely today as during its original release in 1989, and whose importance will only continue to grow as our nation's economy heads down the same dangerous path.
Old 08-28-03, 11:53 AM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Roger & Me is a pretty damn good film. It's worth owning IMO.
Old 08-28-03, 02:19 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally posted by JestersTear
Wow, you and Jack are really sensitive. Someone criticizes your hero and you both start crying like little babies claiming that he's being "bashed."

How you can say that Moore's films are informative when he OUTRIGHT LIES in them is beyond me.

Anyone that has to lie to try and get their point across is not an excellent filmmaker, they are a worthless hack.

I'd provide you with some wonderful examples of Moore's lies from his recent non-documentary "Bowling for Columbine," but I'm sure that all you'd do is start whining again about me "bashing" him.
Old 08-28-03, 03:05 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 6 Likes on 2 Posts
Roger & Me is essential viewing for any and all Americans...Don't listen to the BS coming from those blinded by partisan hatred....they obviously haven't bothered to even watch the film. If you knew anything about Moore and the sacrifices he made to get Roger & Me made, you'd see how laughable the statements above regarding him getting rich off the backs of poor really are.....utter and complete garbage. Indeed, Moore scored a major blow against those corporate fatcats who were doing precisely that....
Old 08-29-03, 11:44 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Even if you don't agree with Moore's politics or methods, you need to see Roger & Me just to see The Rabbit Lady!