DVD Talk Forum

DVD Talk Forum (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/)
-   Movie Talk (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/movie-talk-17/)
-   -   Alamo Trailer (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/movie-talk/312392-alamo-trailer.html)

RyoHazuki 08-19-03 06:05 PM

Alamo Trailer

Heres the Alamo trailer.

http://moviemaze.de/media/trailer/956.html

Trigger 08-19-03 06:32 PM

The trailer is certainly high quality, but for me - this kinda falls under the civil war era. I know it was like 30 years before the civil war, but still - it looks more like Glory than some cool epic western. I hate civil war movies - they bore me to tears. I may check it out cuz it looks kinda cool, but it just has that icky civil war vibe to it.

kenny79 08-19-03 07:38 PM

Being a Texan, I don't have much option of seeing this or not. But the trailer didn't really do it for me -- everything looks OK, but the music and voiceover just didn't work. Not dramatic enough, I guess.

harosa 08-20-03 04:03 PM

The trailer seemed to want to keep it even between the mexicans and the US, not wanting to cast either as the direct villain, playing it safe.

Groucho 08-20-03 04:06 PM

I'll have to remember to watch this when I get home.

Geofferson 08-20-03 04:29 PM

I saw this trailer before Open Range - looks promising.

Spooky 08-20-03 06:49 PM

Trailer didn't do it for me, either. Looks more like a made-for-TV mini series than a true epic motion picture. Then again, it's from Disney, so I'm expecting a bit of revisionist history anyway.

lesterlong 08-20-03 09:09 PM

Originally posted by Spooky
Trailer didn't do it for me, either. Looks more like a made-for-TV mini series than a true epic motion picture. Then again, it's from Disney, so I'm expecting a bit of revisionist history anyway.
Agreed. Plus it looked pretty one-sided as they didn't show any Mexicans fighting or giving heroic monologues.

Groucho 08-20-03 09:49 PM

Originally posted by harosa
The trailer seemed to want to keep it even between the mexicans and the US, not wanting to cast either as the direct villain, playing it safe.
I don't know what trailer you saw, but I agree with lester...the trailer was clearly focused on the Texans. They were characters with feelings and personalities, and the Mexicans were like the Borg.

fumanstan 08-20-03 11:10 PM

It looked ok... nothing special.

Samuel 08-20-03 11:41 PM

I couldn't tell from the trailer, does anyone know if they filmed any scenes in the basement?

garmonbozia 08-21-03 12:29 AM

Originally posted by Samuel
I couldn't tell from the trailer, does anyone know if they filmed any scenes in the basement?
I thought I saw Pee-Wee Herman's bicycle in that one shot.

Corvin 08-21-03 08:24 AM

Looks so-so. I'll probably see it, but I'm not getting all antsy-pantsy for it.

Goldberg74 08-21-03 09:43 AM

Being in the heart of Texas and the home city of the Alamo, I am going to avoid the theaters as long as possible to excape the hordes of devoted San Antonians (and other Texans) who will be mobbing the theaters.

Stoolie 08-21-03 10:04 AM

The beginning of the trailer was excellent in my opinion.

After people start speaking though, it's not so clear. Without a doubt I will want to see this simply based on the fact that I am a Texan and a history buff, but i hope we are trated to better Sam Houston lines than "The hour is at hand!"

PalmerJoss 08-21-03 02:13 PM

It looks decent enough to me. I liked John Lee Hancock's work on The Rookie so I'm interested. Plus it's got Billy Bob Thornton as Davy Crocket(sic?), so count me in.

kevin75 08-21-03 04:22 PM

so far, i am totally unispired to see this. as a matter of fact, as a texan, a big part of me thinks that this movie will be horrible and piss off most of the state. call it a hunch.

Mutley Hyde 08-21-03 04:39 PM

I just hope they don't portray the Alamo defenders as any kind of heroes... perish the thought! They were just bad, bad men, and Santa Anna and the Mexican Army were innocent victims of American brutality unfortunately forced into a position of taking aggressive action which they otherwise wouldn't ever have considered. :mad: