Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Movie Talk
Reload this Page >

I really hope Pixar leaves Disney.

Community
Search
Movie Talk A Discussion area for everything movie related including films In The Theaters

Search this Thread

Old 08-13-03, 11:39 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

When Pixar first joined with Disney years ago, they were not a company large enough to be able to carry themselves at all. They were not proven, and they weren't big as they are now at all. At this point though, Pixar is more than well enough off to be able to break apart from Disney in order to become independent. If not totally solo, than at least join with another company. Here is a question from "10 Questions For Michael Eisner" in the latest TIME magazine...

1) TIME --- Finding Nemo was a Summer smash; Sinbad, a major flop. Is traditional cel animation dead?

Michael Eisner --- What's dead is bad storytelling. Technology doesn't make the movie; the story makes the movie. We've obviously done very well with computer animation and Pixar.

2) TIME --- What are the odds you'll strike a new deal with Pixar?

Michael Eisner --- I can't predict exactly what kind of financial or creative relationship the companies will have together. I've learned from the legal profession that whenever somebody asks you for odds, you say "Fifty-fifty". So why don't we just leave it at that?

3) TIME --- Can Disney afford to loose Pixar?

Michael Eisner --- It's like asking if Disney can afford to loose any creative opportunity, and the answer is, it depends on the cost. We like being together with other gifted artists, but we are not contingent on any individual entity for growth and success.
...that's all of the questions that have to do with Pixar. I really hope that Pixar leaves them after their next two movies (I believe that's all they have to do with Disney anymore, one more Toy Story I believe and the new one due out next year about superheros). It'll be very interesting to see what Disney does without their REAL current cash cow.
Old 08-13-03, 11:45 AM

Received 122 Likes on 84 Posts
Pixar needs Disney as much as Disney needs Pixar.
Old 08-13-03, 11:46 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Re: I really hope Pixar leaves Disney.

Originally posted by BrentLumkin
I believe that's all they have to do with Disney anymore, one more Toy Story I believe and the new one due out next year about superheroes
No Toy Story 3 unfortunately...

Eisner said that sequels don't count towards the 5 pictures after they made Toy Story 2. That was basically the beginning of the end for the Pixar/Disney relationship.

The next tow movies are about superheroes and cars I believe.
Old 08-13-03, 11:49 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally posted by Groucho

I hope they stay with Disney!!

"Michael Eisner --- What's dead is bad storytelling. Technology doesn't make the movie; the story makes the movie."

Couldn't have said it better. Hope this attitude trickles down to the rest of Disney animation, espically the middle managament ass-monkies.
Old 08-13-03, 12:08 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Location: City of the lakers.. riots.. and drug dealing cops.. los(t) Angel(e)s. ca.
No kidding. Dreamworks story telling is off and on and for sinbad it was off. technology aside, bad storytelling is bad storytelling.

they need each other to feed off. How much is pixar worth to disney? Well character recognition and merchindise alone would should that they are worth a great deal to each other.
Old 08-13-03, 12:12 PM

I disagree. Disney's financials were saved last year by sales of Monsters Inc. on DVD and their financials this year will be saved by Finding Nemo's box office receipts. While Disney seems content to ride the sequel & remake & DTV train for as long as possible, Pixar has continually outdone themselves time and time again. Opening weekends prove it. Theatrical grosses prove it. And critical respect proves it (Finding Nemo has Best Animated Feature locked for 2003 and many in the media are saying it should be a potential Best Picture nominee).

Pixar could EASILY sign a very nice contract with another studio. There is no other Pixar out there that Disney could sign to create the income (or prestige) that Pixar brings. PDI is a great company, but they are tied at the hip to Dreamworks for the foreseeable future (projects are already underway that will take them almost until the end of the decade). Plus, because of the fact that people know this is turning slightly unpleasant, how many animation companies already in good deals would WANT to leave and go to Disney, just to put up with Eisner?
Old 08-13-03, 12:14 PM

Received 122 Likes on 84 Posts
Believe me, Pixar's movies would not have made the money they did without the Disney moniker attached. They could do well at another studio, but not nearly as well as they would at Disney. Likewise, Disney would still continue to make money without Pixar, but not nearly as much. It's a good relationship.
Old 08-13-03, 12:54 PM
Banned

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Eisner should look into fixing his own Disney cel animation films. Bad storytelling is bad storytelling and Disney hasn't done any good storytelling since The Lion King. Pixar has been the saving grace for them.
Old 08-13-03, 01:05 PM
DVD Talk Reviewer

Location: WAS looking for My Own Private Stuckeyville, but stuck in Liberty City (while missing Vice City)
While I agree with Eisner's animation/storytelling comment, I think the title of this thread should read:

I really hope Michael Eisner leaves Disney.

I also agree that Disney/Pixar's relationship is totally beneficial for BOTH.
Old 08-13-03, 01:06 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Believe me, Pixar's movies would not have made the money they did without the Disney moniker attached. They could do well at another studio, but not nearly as well as they would at Disney. Likewise, Disney would still continue to make money without Pixar, but not nearly as much. It's a good relationship.
I'd agree that this used to be true, but nowadays I don't think it's very important. All they have to do is put "From the makers of Toy Story and Finding Nemo" at the beginning of any commercial, and people will be buying.
Old 08-13-03, 01:09 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

At least Michael Eisner has his head and a** wired together regarding that cretinous pathetic excuse about "cel animation is dead" that every pundit was spouting off about after Treasure Planet and Sinbad flopped. It's not all about the medium, geniuses, it's the content too.
Old 08-13-03, 01:19 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Oh come on, Pixar has been SO succesfull by this point, that regardless of who they are with they would be HUGE bucks, it's a no brainer. Hell, by leaving Disney they would be making a lot more money. Have any of you read the figures of the Disney/Pixar deal? Disney is basicly screwing the company.
Old 08-13-03, 01:34 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

I totally disagree. Pixar may get some funding from Disney, but that's about all. Pixar makes the movie, Disney distributes. Simple as that. When the contract with Disney expires I do hope that Pixar moves on to another studio, or even go freelance. Make 1 movie for a studio, make another movie for a different studio. You get the idea. Disney needs Pixar far more than Pixar needs Disney, especially after the huge successes of Monster's, Inc and Finding Nemo. It's not the studio that attracts the audience, it's the material--and Pixar always has excellent material.
Old 08-13-03, 01:47 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Location: City of the lakers.. riots.. and drug dealing cops.. los(t) Angel(e)s. ca.
Just because you can act doesn't mean you don't need an agent. Disney has served the name recognition that has put pixar on the map. they need each other to make the most out of what they have to offer. I don't think Fox or Dreamworks or WB can market a animated feature and Pixar might be popular, but the name alone wont bring in the hype for it. Look at fox's other works. they are having their own issues with CG feature films. Dreamworks is in it's own woes and WB is just to shakey and dealing with other things. I don't see any partnership better for pixar then disney. You have the marketing tie ins with all disney connections. from toys in the disney store to attractions at the disney parks. If they do their own work then they really will have to ad a few new divisions to get it off the ground into theaters, marketing, etc. etc.

Just because they can do it, doesn't mean they should.
Old 08-13-03, 02:11 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts
Would Pixar be making better movies if they left Disney? Would they have more control over the content of their films? If the answer is "no" to those two questions, why should we hope they leave Disney?
Old 08-13-03, 02:19 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

All they have to do in renogations is just ask for a larger chunk of the intake. simple as that. Pixar has all the cards on the table, they don't have to fold and walk away into a greater unknown. as stated above, they wont be making more quality films out of disney, they wont have more control over the films, so what's the point?
Old 08-13-03, 02:22 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally posted by marty888
Would Pixar be making better movies if they left Disney? Would they have more control over the content of their films? If the answer is "no" to those two questions, why should we hope they leave Disney?
Can their movies BE much better?

..and as far as I know, I don't think Disney has any control over the content of Pixar's films, or if they do they know better than to try an meddle with the magic Pixar does.
Old 08-13-03, 02:23 PM

"No Toy Story 3 unfortunately...

Eisner said that sequels don't count towards the 5 pictures after they made Toy Story 2. That was basically the beginning of the end for the Pixar/Disney relationship."

After Toy Story 2, when Pixar thought they made their 3rd movie, they reworked the deal, added a few more movies to it, and I think that in this new deal, Toy Story 3 has to be the final one, and this time, it will count as a movie. But I've heard rumors that the next movie is Super Heros (true), then they are doing a rats movie, and then the final movie will be about cars.
Old 08-13-03, 02:35 PM
DVD Talk Legend

KTIK, Toy Story 2 never counted, and they did strike a new deal.. but that ends in 2 years. The last 2 Disney/Pixar films under that original contract are The Incrdible (2004) and Cars (2005).

On Toy Story 3.. EVERYBODY involved wants to do it, from the director to the producers to the writers to the actors.. everybody wants to do it, but the CEO's constant bickering (Jobs vs Eisner) is what's keeping the project on hold.

Mark my word, when a new contract is reached, I'm pretty sure there's going to be Toy Story 3 something in there.. it's got money written all over it, and Disney knows this.
Old 08-13-03, 02:53 PM

I'm sure DREAMWORKS would love to cut a deal with Pixar, which means that it's in Disney's best interest to hang on to their relationship with them.

That being said, the sucess of Pixar will continue as long as the quality of their work continues, regardless of whether they are with Disney, Dreamworks, or decide to go it alone.
Old 08-13-03, 03:05 PM
Banned

Disney does more distribute Pixars films. They constantly run ads and programs dedicated to Pixars films on the Disney channel, they sell tons of Pixar character merchandise at the Disney parks. Disney advertises the crap out of Pixars films moreso than any other company would.
Old 08-13-03, 03:06 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

I really want to see Toy Story 3, so I hope the 2 companies stay together.

Pixar needs the Disney Channel, what a great way to advertise the Disney movies that are coming out.

Disney needs Pixar, they are a very average movie studio without them. You must give Disney 2 thumbs up for getting connect with Pixar, it has saved both of their stock prices.

Just give me TS 3, I can already fell tears of joy and sadness in my eyes.
Old 08-13-03, 03:09 PM

"KTIK, Toy Story 2 never counted, and they did strike a new deal.. but that ends in 2 years. The last 2 Disney/Pixar films under that original contract are The Incrdible (2004) and Cars (2005)."

Yes, I know it didn't count. They originally had a 5 picture deal, and they've done four so far. And they added two more pictures to the deal after Toy Story 2, but this time, they said that sequels will count. So they still have three movies to do, one will be about super heros, and the other two are between rats, cars, and Toy Story 3. This is all I've gathered from the net.
Old 08-13-03, 03:23 PM

KTIK, I don't know where your getting your info but it is all wrong. As already stated The Incredibles and Cars are the last two movies they will make with Disney(unless a new deal is struck) After Cars there is a movie about rats or some such thing possibly set in a resturant. There is no Toy Story 3 in the works AT ALL. Although I'm sure both parties would like to do it.
Old 08-13-03, 03:26 PM

Go to Yahoo movies, there was never another deal struck adding two movies. The 5 picture deal was after Toy Story. Bug's Life, Monsters, Nemo, Incredibles, and Cars. Toy Story 2 didn't count and may have caused a bit of a rift between the companies. The untitled rodent project will be their first post disney movie.

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.