DVD Talk Forum

DVD Talk Forum (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/)
-   Movie Talk (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/movie-talk-17/)
-   -   john williams.. best ever? (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/movie-talk/311058-john-williams-best-ever.html)

jekbrown 08-12-03 04:45 PM

john williams.. best ever?

Is it me or is John Williams the best composer of movie-music in the history of films? I always knew that he did Star Wars/Indy/Jaws/Superman... but a quick look at his IMDB page shows just how much more than those he has done. I really liked the tunes he did for The Patriot... good stuff. At any rate, imo, he's "the man" when it comes to composing for films.. what do you guys think?

j

Inverse 08-12-03 04:59 PM

Williams is OK, but I'd take Bernard Herrmann any day! <cue Psycho music>

Mondo Kane 08-12-03 05:12 PM

He's good, but not as great as Ennio Morricone.

Hokeyboy 08-12-03 05:14 PM

What about Jeff Schwartz?

devilshalo 08-12-03 05:19 PM

Williams rehashes a lot of his own material as well as others. He's the orchestral version of Danny Elfman. :p

Giantrobo 08-12-03 05:24 PM

I find William's stuff too "Syrupy" at times. I don't always like his stuff.

ToddSm66 08-12-03 05:30 PM

Morricone is definitely tough to beat. I'm also a big Carter Burwell fan - especially the work he does for the Coen brothers.

BassDude 08-12-03 05:34 PM

Re: john williams.. best ever?

Originally posted by jekbrown
... is John Williams the best composer of movie-music in the history of films?
Yes

Pants 08-12-03 05:39 PM

Originally posted by devilshalo
Williams rehashes a lot of his own material as well as others. He's the orchestral version of Danny Elfman. :p
And Danny Elfman isn't orchestral? I don't understand

wendersfan 08-12-03 05:45 PM

Re: john williams.. best ever?

Originally posted by jekbrown
Is it me or is John Williams the best composer of movie-music in the history of films?
No

I would take Nino Rota, Bernard Hermann, Ennio Morricone, Michel LeGrand, or even Ry Cooder over him.

Kal-El 08-12-03 05:48 PM

Heck yeah. Some people are going to be dropping other composers' names left and right, but none of their music will leave you humming a movie's theme to yourself as you leave the theater the way that Williams' can.

Sheky 08-12-03 06:00 PM

John Williams isn't fit to shine Jerry Goldsmith's shoes!

Hokeyboy 08-12-03 06:04 PM

Schwartz!!!

shizawn 08-12-03 06:06 PM

Originally posted by devilshalo
I'd say James Horner is ten times worse than John Williams in regards to rehashing his own material.

audrey 08-12-03 06:31 PM

I'm not really a fan of Williams' work; he doesn't make my top ten.

Doughboy 08-12-03 06:35 PM

Yes. Although he hasn't done a great score since 1993's Jurassic Park and Schindler's List.

Deckard-10 08-12-03 07:03 PM

Originally posted by Sheky
:thumbsup: &nbsp Agreed. &nbsp The soundtrack to The Russia House is incredible.

PalmerJoss 08-12-03 07:04 PM

Originally posted by Sheky
I wouldn't say that, but I do agree that Goldsmith is a little better than Williams. Both will go down as 2 of the greatest film composers ever when all is said and done, though. IMO there still aren't any better composers working today than Goldsmith and Williams. Seeing either of their names on a new score cd is enough reason for me to pick it up.

Panda Phil 08-12-03 08:14 PM

He was definately the master back in his Star Wars/Close Encounters/Indiana Jones days, but judging from his work in the last two Star Wars fli, he seems to have lost a lot of his touch for making themes that just stick in your brain.

Sunday Morning 08-12-03 09:24 PM

john williams...

music for deaf people.

:)

jasonbird 08-12-03 09:30 PM

He deserves a lot of credit for what he's done in the past...

It does seem as though his newer compositions are a bit repetitive.

Overall he is very good.

Jason

Michael Corvin 08-12-03 09:44 PM

Originally posted by Kal Jedi
Heck yeah. Some people are going to be dropping other composers' names left and right, but none of their music will leave you humming a movie's theme to yourself as you leave the theater the way that Williams' can.
Definitely, other composers will have some good work and work excellent WITH the movie, but how many composer's work can you instantly recognize out of the context of the movie?

I also have to agree that Jurassic Park was the last good thing JW has done. 10 long years.

Inverse 08-12-03 09:49 PM

Well, Bernard Herrmann for one. Like Psycho, or Vertigo, or North by Northwest, or Taxi Driver.....

X 08-12-03 10:14 PM

Originally posted by Sunday Morning
john williams...

music for deaf people.

:)

Good description!

I never thought about it before, but I know I would prefer only feeling his music instead of having to listen to it.

I always considered him the anti-christ of movie music. Like Time/Life is the anti-christ of publishing.

wm lopez 08-13-03 01:26 AM

John Barry, he did most of the James Bond scores.