Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Movie Talk
Reload this Page >

help me find a scary horror movie

Community
Search
Movie Talk A Discussion area for everything movie related including films In The Theaters

help me find a scary horror movie

Search this Thread

Old 08-08-03, 04:03 PM
Banned

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
actulley i prefer watching horror movies alone. late at night. i pull down the shades and turn off the lights and ****. i heard on a horror message baord that theres a movie called may thats suppose to be good. i might check that one out. also i saw a dvd called blood bath. it had like 4 horror movies one was called peices. are the movies on that dvd any good.
Old 08-08-03, 04:04 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
although not technically horror movies, they will either scare you or haunt you for life
requiem for a dream unrated directors cut
irreversible
Old 08-08-03, 06:56 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 345 Likes on 226 Posts
I'm not usually scared by horror movies either (Linda Blair's headspin in The Exorcist cracked me up. I mean, how did it not twist off? ). The horror movies I like are more atmospheric than scary--they're disturbing and have creepy moments, but they're scary in a quiet way.

The Devil's Backbone (Spanish)
The Audition (Japanese)
The Others
The Ring
The Changeling
Burnt Offerings
May (kind of funny)

tasha
Old 08-09-03, 02:35 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Originally posted by Cornholio
actulley i prefer watching horror movies alone. late at night. i pull down the shades and turn off the lights and ****. i heard on a horror message baord that theres a movie called may thats suppose to be good. i might check that one out. also i saw a dvd called blood bath. it had like 4 horror movies one was called peices. are the movies on that dvd any good.
I wouldn't say May was scary at all. It tried to be disturbing but came across as goofy. I seem to be in the minority though.
Old 08-09-03, 02:38 PM

Oh, and I forgot to mention this earlier. Try watching something by David Lynch. While not "horror" in the traditional sense, Lynch's films have a tendency to be truly creepy and disturbing. The best examples are Eraserhead and Lost Highway.
Old 08-09-03, 10:26 PM
Banned

i rented the candyman 2 its pretty good but i like teh first one better
Old 08-10-03, 12:31 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,300 Likes on 944 Posts
..... also i saw a dvd called blood bath. it had like 4 horror movies one was called peices. are the movies on that dvd any good.
I bought this set used for $6. I hadn't seen anything about this set, so I thought it was a good deal. The prints are in pretty bad shape. Audio is pretty crappy. All are full screen. Kiss Me Kill Me is better seen on Blue Underground's Baba Yaga DVD. You mentioned Pieces and it was nice to see the unrated version. I had only seen the R-rated VHS.

I think you can find it new for around $8. Not bad for 4 horror movies.... but just be prepared for less than acceptable transfers.
Old 08-10-03, 12:40 AM

i rented the candyman 2 its pretty good but i like teh first one better
You have a thread full of all these good suggestions, and you rent Candyman 2?
Old 08-10-03, 01:54 AM

Received 94 Likes on 76 Posts
Maniac will always give me the chills! That subway scene is SO creepy,suspenseful & thrilling that it almost killed me!
Old 08-11-03, 07:27 AM

Originally posted by Bechman 2000

For serious gore and a great plot, check out Day of the Dead, the first sequel to Night of the Living Dead. It's only out on Video right now, but it's my all-time favorite horror movie. It's got a very realistic feel to it, with nothing mainstream about it. Definitly a must see with a great atmosphere and memorable characters. The last installment of the trilogy, Dawn of the Dead is equally as entertaining. George Romero is the king of horror!

Dawn of the Dead was the first sequel to Night of the Living Dead. Day of the Dead is the 3rd movie. They go in order: Night -> Dawn -> Day. Dawn is considered the best of the series. And I believe there was supposed to be a 4th called Dusk of the Dead
Old 08-12-03, 03:41 PM

Originally posted by SS-Rodriguez
Dawn of the Dead was the first sequel to Night of the Living Dead. Day of the Dead is the 3rd movie. They go in order: Night -> Dawn -> Day. Dawn is considered the best of the series. And I believe there was supposed to be a 4th called Dusk of the Dead
I can't beleive I messed up the order... what a dolt. I knew the correct order, I mean all you have to do is look at the names for crying out loud. What a blunder... and I call myself a George Romero fan.

Originally posted by caiman
You have a thread full of all these good suggestions, and you rent Candyman 2?
Yeah really. You chose that over these suggestions? You don't trust us do you? Rent Day of the Dead, and tell me that's not a good movie.
Old 08-13-03, 12:35 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Good God. The Denist is terrible (not to mention, it's not a horror movie). I caught it years ago one night on cable. Please for your own sake and the sake of your unborn children...stay far away...

Last edited by Goldblum; 08-13-03 at 12:54 AM.
Old 08-13-03, 08:25 AM

Innocents (1961) with Deborah Kerr
Old 08-13-03, 02:16 PM

I think Jeepers Creepers was a pretty good horror movie as well as Ghost Ship. Although Ghost Ship was more suspenseful than scary. Jeepers Creepers on the other hand is a great horror movie, looking forward to the 2nd in a couple of weeks.
Old 08-13-03, 08:26 PM
DVD Talk Hero - 2023 TOTY Award Winner

Received 2,171 Likes on 1,222 Posts
I think Prince of Darkness deserves a place on the list of potentials.