DVD Talk Forum

DVD Talk Forum (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/)
-   Movie Talk (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/movie-talk-17/)
-   -   Why are the Wilson brothers Luke and Owen so popular? (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/movie-talk/309269-why-wilson-brothers-luke-owen-so-popular.html)

chowderhead 08-04-03 12:10 AM

Why are these Actors so Prolific AKA why is this Actor famous

I never understood the popularity of either one of the Wilson brothers. It's not like they are GREAT actors or even that good looking. I mean they both have very quirky weird looks. Luke with those HUGE teeth and Owen with his busted nose.
Yet both are VERY prolific.
According to IMDB.com since 1996 Owen has been in 24 movies (that's more than 3 movies a year).
He had major parts in many movies inc: Shanghai Noon, Meet the Parents, Zoolander, Royal Tenenbaums, Behind Enemy Lines, I SPy, Shanghai Knights, Starsky & Hutch, etc.

Luke has had 25 movies in 7 years (more than 3 movies a year).
Home Fries, Blue Streak, Alex and Emma, Old School, Legally Blonde1, 2, Charlie's Angel 1, 2

I mean I guess Owen has had some marginal hits but I doubt either can carry a movie .... There are so many other good actors out there. Why are these two guys getting all the work? Is it cos the other actors won't touch some of these roles or what?

SunMonkey 08-04-03 12:27 AM

I don't know, but I enjoy them as comic actors. I would like to see more movies with them acting together, too.

Buck Turgidson 08-04-03 01:39 AM

Be damned if I have a clue why.

Caliking 08-04-03 02:20 AM

well, to start with they both have a flair for the "off-the-wall humor" that many people enjoy, myself included. i little dry humor mixed in with some very smart humor. they have even helped write some of the movies that really got them started and many people love those films. i dont care for all their movies but i have really enjoyed many...actually, rushmore is my favorite and the royal tenenbaums is in my top 20.

Jackskeleton 08-04-03 02:34 AM

The writing credits I assume help them some. "You know, I think ___ would make a perfect person to play this role"

also note that on Luke's side there one of them he wrote, two of them are sequels so it would be simple for him to get another film out of one. and a few where written by his brother. of course he's gonna get a hook up from his bro. :p

they aren't normally main characters. so they become familiar faces which the public is used to.

fumanstan 08-04-03 02:59 AM

Neither of them carry a film, which is why they are in so many movies where they can have a bit part or supporting role, hence the mass amount of movies they've each been in. Even the ones they do star in, they have a costar thats pretty much more well known. I dunno, its pretty nifty niche they've settled in to. I think they're both great, especially Owen.

Giantrobo 08-04-03 05:38 AM

I'll take a Wilson boy over a Kutcher anyday....

Tarantino 08-04-03 07:40 AM

Owen Wilson is one of my favorites. He's perfect for any role.

marty888 08-04-03 08:44 AM

I'm not sure that they are "popular" in the sense that the movie-going public knows them very well. I'll bet you could hit the crowd at a multiplex, and most people would have a difficult time naming one of their movies (with the possible exception of the <i>Shanghai</i> series).

So why are they getting all the work? Probably because producers and directors realize that they have talent and an understanding of film-making.

Rogue588 08-04-03 08:49 AM

If I had to pick one, i'd pick Luke. He's just...i'd don't wanna say "weird"...but, he just has this "thing" that's different from other Hollywood actors. Kinda like Christopher Walken. Luke's a little too "dry".

But, i'd MUCH rather have them be "popular" than say, the Hilton sisters..

Groucho 08-04-03 09:07 AM

It's also my understanding that they are both easy to work with, something that goes a long way with all the Prima Donnas in Hollywood.

ArchibaldTuttle 08-04-03 09:37 AM

they're in a couple of my favorite movies, I think you could do a lot worse, I am all for them making 3+ movies every year

futbol 08-04-03 10:35 AM

I don't particularly mind them; Owen can be kind of funny.

Apparently, there's a third brother, Andrew. He's got lots of small roles in the movies his brothers star in.

Hiro11 08-04-03 11:00 AM

Because they're great actors and extremely good looking.

BobSolo 08-04-03 11:32 AM

While I don't think Luke Wilson is all that, Owen is just plain funny. I say I-Spy on a plane (i.e. no choice!), and while the movie sucked, his delivery is just damn funny. Same sort of thing as the Shanghai movies. And come on, in Meet the Parents when he pauses to remember how much of a tomcat Stiller's fiance was, I nearly pissed my pants. (can't remeber if he says firecrack or tomcat).

Him teaming with Stiller again in Starsky & Hutch should be a riot. And Snoop Dogg as Huggy Bear!!!!!

Stoolie 08-04-03 11:32 AM

Owen Wilson as Dignan in Bottle Rocket is a great performance IMO.

FantasticVSDoom 08-04-03 11:33 AM

You know, thats a good question, why are they in so many movies? I think because they are in some decent movies, and they dont mess the movies up by doing horribly, and maybe because they seem to be versatile.

Sessa17 08-04-03 11:50 AM

Maybe I'm alone here but Owen Wilson is a flat-out talent & both of them are in a lot of movies for very good reasons.

For one, they both have reputations of being very easy to work with & Owen especially has a strong reputation of being one of the single most creative actors in Hollywood when it comes to add-libbing lines which a lot of directors love. He was shooting another movie while doing Zoolander, he came in & took the role as a favor to Stiller, & supposively add-libbed just about every single line in the movie. And he is hillarious in the movie.

Neither one of them carry the movies they are in, they are supporting characters & I think great as the second & third tier characters in the movie. Honeslty Luke I don't really care for but I think Owen is actually underrated. He has some of the best comedic timing & line delivery of any actor in the business.

And they both are talented writers. IMO Tenenbaums & Rushmore are 2 of the freshest, & funniest movies of the past 5 + years & that largely has to do with their talents as writers & actors.

I do think that Owen wilson plays sort of the same character in every movie but I think he is just one of those actors that it's OK to do that b/c it just works for him. He isn't going to try to play a true life story of someone, he isn't going to take the dramatic role for an Oscar, that's not his thing. He takes the roles he likes & he has fun with them & I think that shows in his performances.

Jepthah 08-04-03 01:07 PM

They are very unique and talented, especially Owen--the problem is that the Hollywood machine just can't find material that is well-suited for their film personas (most of the time). In most movies they are just plain wasted.

Which is why it's nice for them to keep working with the one, the only, Mr. Wes Anderson--who knows just how to bring out their best work. :D

Boot 08-04-03 04:18 PM

I like them both, but Owen just crackes me up. He doesn't even have to say anything; he just has that way about him. That said, he's also a pretty damn good actor. To see him stretch his acting muscles a bit, check out The Minus Man.

Groucho 08-04-03 04:21 PM

Originally posted by Boot
I like them both, but Owen just crackes me up. He doesn't even have to say anything; he just has that way about him.
I love that little moment where they show him after the Gazebo burns down in Meet the Parents.

cultshock 08-04-03 06:34 PM

I think they made a deal with Satan.

The Antipodean 08-04-03 06:36 PM

Because, as others have said, they're great acting and writing talents, which is more than be said of many flavors-of-the-month type actors.

lembas 08-04-03 06:52 PM

I've never really enjoyed watching the Wilson Brothers onscreen over the years but Owen keeps getting better and better.

lesterlong 08-04-03 09:48 PM

They aren't popular. Moving on...