Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Movie Talk
Reload this Page >

Cookoo's Nest...what did they do to Jack?[spoilers]

Community
Search
Movie Talk A Discussion area for everything movie related including films In The Theaters

Search this Thread

Old 08-01-03, 12:50 AM
Banned

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

What did they do to Jack at the end of 1FOTCN that made him all dizzy and unconcious? Chief was trying to get him to respond but he just stared at him helplessly. Poor guy. This is probably my 25th time watching this movie by the way. It's definitely one of my top 5 all time favorite films! Jack's best performance as well.
Old 08-01-03, 12:58 AM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

It's been a while, but I believe they gave him a lobotomy, a procedure where various nerve tracts in the brain are cut in order to make a person unresponsive and docile. I think they used to do this as an extreme "cure" for mental illness.
Old 08-01-03, 01:04 AM
DVD Talk Godfather

Location: City of the lakers.. riots.. and drug dealing cops.. los(t) Angel(e)s. ca.
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
They took his brain and scooped out a little. they destroyed the man. A common misconception is that jack died at the end... but in truth, he now post on the forum about making 5.1 Original Star Wars dvd's and selling stuff at the flea market.
Old 08-01-03, 01:11 AM
Banned

Originally posted by Jackskeleton
They took his brain and scooped out a little. they destroyed the man. A common misconception is that jack died at the end... but in truth, he now post on the forum about making 5.1 Original Star Wars dvd's and selling stuff at the flea market.
I KNEW it!!!!;p
Old 08-01-03, 07:30 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Location: (formerly known as Inglenook Hampendick) Fairbanks, Alaska!
Received 507 Likes on 351 Posts
Originally posted by Jackskeleton
Old 08-01-03, 10:38 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 21 Likes on 17 Posts
http://www.epub.org.br/cm/n02/historia/lobotomy.htm

He would open several small holes by trepanning the two sides of the brain, and insert a special wire knife, called a leukotome into the brain substance. With a few sideways movements, the fibers were severed and the patient could recover. Moniz reported that the results were good in several patients. Severely agitated, anxious or depressive patients had a general improvement in their symptoms, in some cases in a sriking way. In other patients, however, the operation had no success, and Moniz was cautious to propose that leukotomy should be used only when the case was so hopeless as to warrant it.
A whole bunch of stuff about the evolution of the procedure, followed by (here's the reason they used it in One Flew Over the Cuckoo's Nest)

Lobotomy took America and some other countries by storm. They were performed in a wide scale in the 40s, because the mental asylums were brimming over with cases after the Second World War. Between 1939 and 1951, more than 18,000 lobotomies were performed in the United States, and tens of thousands more in other countries. It was widely abused as a method to control undesirable behavior, instead of being a last-resort therapeutic procedure for desperate cases. In Japan, the majority of the operated cases were children, many of whom had only problematic behavior or a bad performance at the school. Inmates in prisons for the insane were widely operated. Families trying to get rid of difficult relatives would submit them to lobotomy. Rebels and political opponents were treated as mentally deranged by authorities and operated. Amateur surgeons would often perform hundreds of lobotomies without even doing a systematic psychiatric evaluation.
Old 08-01-03, 10:55 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

You don't lobotomy I won't lobotoyou.
Old 08-01-03, 10:58 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

LOBOTOMY!!!!

LOBOTOMY!!!!

/ramones
Old 08-01-03, 12:17 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
"I'd rather have a beer in front of me,
than have a frontal lobotomy."
-some novelty song
Old 08-01-03, 12:21 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 46 Likes on 33 Posts
Originally posted by Buttmunker
"I'd rather have a beer in front of me,
than have a frontal lobotomy."
-some novelty song
Actually it is "I'd rather have a bottle in front of me, than a frontal lobotomy"
Flows a little better.
Old 08-01-03, 02:24 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 202 Likes on 156 Posts
quote:
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Lobotomy took America and some other countries by storm. They were performed in a wide scale in the 40s, because the mental asylums were brimming over with cases after the Second World War. Between 1939 and 1951, more than 18,000 lobotomies were performed in the United States, and tens of thousands more in other countries. It was widely abused as a method to control undesirable behavior, instead of being a last-resort therapeutic procedure for desperate cases. In Japan, the majority of the operated cases were children, many of whom had only problematic behavior or a bad performance at the school. Inmates in prisons for the insane were widely operated. Families trying to get rid of difficult relatives would submit them to lobotomy. Rebels and political opponents were treated as mentally deranged by authorities and operated. Amateur surgeons would often perform hundreds of lobotomies without even doing a systematic psychiatric evaluation.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Dang! I hope the Republican party doesn't start getting keen on these procedures for their opponents and opposers.

(Waits for a stupid :"since when would liberals need a lobotomy anyway, isn't that their natural state?" comment)
Old 08-01-03, 03:33 PM
Banned

I don't mean to be a total jerk but you've seen the film 25 times (!!!) and only now has it occured to you to wonder what happens at the end?

So the other 24 times you decided you love the film even though it makes no sense and you don't understand the ending. Wow you're a forgiving audience.
Old 08-01-03, 04:03 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Families trying to get rid of difficult relatives would submit them to lobotomy.
Looks like I have another option to my mother-in-law problem.
Old 08-01-03, 05:00 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally posted by Pants
I don't mean to be a total jerk but you've seen the film 25 times (!!!) and only now has it occured to you to wonder what happens at the end?

So the other 24 times you decided you love the film even though it makes no sense and you don't understand the ending. Wow you're a forgiving audience.
That's exactly what I was thinking.
Old 08-01-03, 06:34 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally posted by Numanoid
That's exactly what I was thinking.
Not to sound condescending, but me too.
Old 08-01-03, 09:11 PM
Banned

Nope, I actually thought his reactions were simply a result of too much shock treatment. The fact that yesterday was the first time I watched it on dvd and on a 65 bigscreen TV, did I notice the scars on his head. The other 24 or so viewing were on a crappy 21 inch TV and from a worn VHS tape no less. Oh well, thanks for the clarification
Old 08-03-03, 10:08 AM
bhk
DVD Talk Legend

Families trying to get rid of difficult relatives would submit them to lobotomy.
The Kennedy's had it done to their oldest daughter.
Old 08-03-03, 10:17 AM

Received 122 Likes on 84 Posts
This is also what happens to that guy with the big scars on his head in Planet of the Apes.
Old 08-03-03, 10:23 AM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 1,793 Likes on 1,121 Posts
and "Jack the Ripper" in FROM HELL.
Old 08-03-03, 08:53 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

He's a vegetable now. Very sad.
Old 08-04-03, 04:16 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Yeah it is sad. I really didn't like this ending the first time I saw it. But after repeated viewings it's grown on me. It's upsetting, yes, but...SPOILER BEG>the cheif get's away so in a way it is a happy ending, not for the main character, but for another one. My favorite character was cheif btw.

SPOILER CONT...>But this brings up a question to me, Christopher Loyd's character is hollaring and cheering at the end. Was that because he saw the window and thought it was Mac or did he see Cheif. Or is it just from how the viewer looks at it. But now that i'm typing this, Mac's body was left there so he would know he died anyway. So I guess this post is pretty pointless... oh well.<SPOILER END
Old 08-04-03, 04:25 PM

Received 122 Likes on 84 Posts
Originally posted by MasterCXtreme
My favorite character was cheif btw.
It may interest you to learn that the novel was written in the first person POV of Chief.
Old 08-04-03, 06:06 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally posted by Groucho
It may interest you to learn that the novel was written in the first person POV of Chief.

It may also interest you to know that
Spoiler:
the book is also ambiguous regarding whether or not Chief actually did escape. The narration leads you to believe that he might not have made it far and is back in the asylum.
Old 08-04-03, 08:11 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Thanks a lot guys, I think I'll check out the book
Old 08-05-03, 03:08 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Originally posted by Groucho
This is actually one of the first movies I liked better than the book. I doubt having seen the movie first had anything to do with it though.

K

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.