DVD Talk Forum

DVD Talk Forum (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/)
-   Movie Talk (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/movie-talk-17/)
-   -   stuff in movies you didn't get as a kid, but do now? (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/movie-talk/308664-stuff-movies-you-didnt-get-kid-but-do-now.html)

Rypro 525 07-31-03 02:42 PM

stuff in movies you didn't get as a kid, but do now?

something about mary, I was the idiot kid who just laughed along at the hair gell scene, I remeber my mom telling my dad something of the lines of "now, you are going to have to explain the hair gell"

Cygnet74 07-31-03 03:04 PM

I learned what "suicide" was from Han Solo... my mom had to explain.

Draven 07-31-03 03:21 PM

The "we've got bush" part of Revenge of the Nerds.

Oh, and the fact that the Joe team spends the entire "G.I. Joe: The Movie" looking for Roadblock's unit.

Cusm 07-31-03 03:25 PM

Woody Allen films.

taa455 07-31-03 03:27 PM

Didn't really understand the "Nice beaver" line the first time I watched The Naked Gun.

...but I laughed anyway.

Charlie Goose 07-31-03 03:28 PM

In Which Way but Loose, there is a scene where Geoffrey Lewis tells an annoying woman that Beverly D'Angelo has the clap. The woman ran away screaming. I asked my father what the clap was, and he said, "It's a....skin disease." Well, he wasn't really lying.

Not really a specific movie but,
Jm J. Bullock
Paul Lynde
Charles Nelson Reilly
James Coco
Cesar Romero
Johnny Mathis
Raymond Burr

I had no idea.

http://charliegoose.homestead.com/files/goose.jpg Honk!

j123vt_99 07-31-03 03:30 PM

the humor in Monty Python.... wait.. I still don't get it

Alan Smithee 07-31-03 03:37 PM

Debbie Does Dallas- just what the heck were they doing??? ;)

Morf 07-31-03 03:56 PM

In Ghostbusters, when the ghost unzips Ray's pants. I never understood what was up with that when I was a kid.

redcon1 07-31-03 04:41 PM

Cesar Romero?

Crocker Jarmen 07-31-03 08:15 PM

This is sort of a variation on the question; but I remember when I was 10 and my parents rented PARENTHOOD. There's the scene where the family is gathered for dinner and the lights go out, and Steve Martin goes looking for a flashlight. He comes into the dark going 'I found one. How do you turn this on?', then the lights come on and it turns out he's holding this giant vibrator. My father and I laughed, and my mother was utterly baffled. She nudged my father and said, 'What was that?' Both me and my father pretended we didn't hear her.

MasterofDVD 07-31-03 08:56 PM

Originally posted by Crocker Jarmen
This is sort of a variation on the question; but I remember when I was 10 and my parents rented PARENTHOOD. There's the scene where the family is gathered for dinner and the lights go out, and Steve Martin goes looking for a flashlight. He comes into the dark going 'I found one. How do you turn this on?', then the lights come on and it turns out he's holding this giant vibrator. My father and I laughed, and my mother was utterly baffled. She nudged my father and said, 'What was that?' Both me and my father pretended we didn't hear her.
No freakin way. Are you serious? :jawdrop:

Crocker Jarmen 07-31-03 09:31 PM

Originally posted by MasterofDVD
No freakin way. Are you serious? :jawdrop:

Yep. I guess she was gettin' good enough action from the old man that she didn't need one of those things. -wink-

Supreme Sean 07-31-03 09:32 PM

In Predator, when Dutch's team finds the crashed helicopter/ skinned Green Berets hanging in the trees. Billy, the Native American member of the team, says he thinks " guerillas " did it. My young mind didn't know what a " guerilla " was at the time, so I thought he was talking about " gorillas ". Imagine my disappointment when Dutch and his men never encountered the blood thirsty apes at any time in the movie.

MrPeanut 07-31-03 09:47 PM

Not a movie, but Three's Company is my best answer to this question

MasterCXtreme 07-31-03 11:27 PM

A lot of stuff from both of the Ace Ventura movies. A lot of kids movies I watched when I was little, I see them again when my little sister watches them and I catch little jokes adults are supposed to get.

Seinfeld is also a big recource of these. I used to watch it with my parents and just laughed along.

Simpsons also I get a lot of jokes now I hadn't when I was little.

caiman 07-31-03 11:30 PM

Originally posted by MasterCXtreme

Seinfeld is also a big recource of these. I used to watch it with my parents and just laughed along.

Same here! I used to love the show as a kid, but now that I watch the old re-runs I realize I wasn't actually getting a lot of the jokes. I had no idea what "mulva" rhymed with.

cultshock 08-01-03 12:33 AM

Originally posted by caiman
Same here! I used to love the show as a kid, but now that I watch the old re-runs I realize I wasn't actually getting a lot of the jokes. I had no idea what "mulva" rhymed with.
Boy, I feel old. :lol:

I'll agree with MrPeanut regarding "Three's Company". Unlike Seinfeld, I was actually a kid when Three's Company was first on. :)

Charlie Goose 08-01-03 12:44 AM

Originally posted by cultshock
Boy, I feel old. :lol:

I'll agree with MrPeanut regarding "Three's Company". Unlike Seinfeld, I was actually a kid when Three's Company was first on. :)

Yes, me too. Not like these young punks!
http://charliegoose.homestead.com/files/oldman.gif

Originally posted by redcon1
Cesar Romero?
Aha! So you didn't know either!

http://charliegoose.homestead.com/files/goose.jpg Honk!

jeffkjoe 08-01-03 01:34 AM

Re: stuff in movies you didn't get as a kid, but do now?

Originally posted by Rypro 525
something about mary, I was the idiot kid who just laughed along at the hair gell scene, I remeber my mom telling my dad something of the lines of "now, you are going to have to explain the hair gell"

Geez, you were a kid when THERE'S SOMETHING ABOUT MARY first came out??

You are one young puppy.

ArchibaldTuttle 08-01-03 02:39 AM

pretty much every sexual inuendo till around 12 years old

"is your linguini ready for my clam"

this was in some movie I saw on tv about a guy that could do crazy magical stuff after he drank prune juice

rennervision 08-01-03 10:39 AM

A lot of sexual innuendo in the Bond films.

Best example - Q in MOONRAKER, with his back turned to the screen showing Bond and Holly Goodhead getting it on in the space shuttle: "I believe he's attempting reentry, sir."

Talk about naieve. :blush:

Rypro 525 08-01-03 10:44 AM

Re: Re: stuff in movies you didn't get as a kid, but do now?

Originally posted by jeffkjoe
Geez, you were a kid when THERE'S SOMETHING ABOUT MARY first came out??

You are one young puppy.

Well I was like 12 or 13 when it came out

Morf 08-01-03 10:47 AM

Re: Re: Re: stuff in movies you didn't get as a kid, but do now?

Originally posted by Rypro 525
Well I was like 12 or 13 when it came out
..... and you still didn't get the hair gel joke?

Wazootyman 08-01-03 11:00 AM

Originally posted by ArchibaldTuttle
pretty much every sexual inuendo till around 12 years old

"is your linguini ready for my clam"

this was in some movie I saw on tv about a guy that could do crazy magical stuff after he drank prune juice

I believe that that is "Zapped! Again"