Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Movie Talk
Reload this Page >

The Battle of Shaker Heights (Project Greenlight 2) trailer

Community
Search
Movie Talk A Discussion area for everything movie related including films In The Theaters

Search this Thread

Old 07-29-03, 02:41 AM
Banned

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

http://progressive.stream.aol.com/ao...ts_trlr_dl.mov
Old 07-29-03, 03:02 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Wow. That actually looks watchable - I actually would like to see this film. Couldn't say that about the first Project Greenlight movie at all. Of course, with the footage I've seen on the show, I forgot this was supposed to be a light-hearted film.

Last edited by RolloTomasi; 07-29-03 at 03:05 AM.
Old 07-29-03, 05:39 AM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 188 Likes on 105 Posts
Looks kind of funny.
Old 07-29-03, 12:33 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Well, this trailer actually makes the movie look watchable, from what I saw on the tv show, and I love the series, the movie looked horrible. I guess its all in the editing and looking at the final product. Also, I dont know why I got the feeling from the show the movie was set back in the days.
Old 07-29-03, 01:07 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Ecccch. This is what they chose to 'greenlight'? Painfully unfunny and juvenile, judging from this preview.

And they actually thought they could pass off Southern California as suburban Northeast Ohio.
Old 08-22-03, 09:21 PM
Suspended

Battle of Shaker Heights reviews?

I believe this came out today?

Wondering what it's like... I've been watching project greenlight every sunday, and judging by the trailer, it looks like the movie might actually be pretty good
Old 08-22-03, 09:29 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
sorry but when does this open wideA?
Old 08-22-03, 11:56 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
It opened in New York and L.A. today.

It expands into the other 8 of the top 10 markets next Friday.

Then it slowly expands from there.
Old 08-23-03, 12:07 AM
Banned by request

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts
It got 47% on rotten tomatoes. A lot of the reviews threw around the word "cliche," and I'm not inclined to doubt it.

My favorite review quote from the site: "This is a Project Greenlight winner, which probably says a mouthful."
Old 08-23-03, 12:13 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

The problem with Project Greenlight is they have to pick a script that can be made for under 1 million dollars. Alot of the scripts that lost out sounded alot better, but they couldn't have been made for that much money. Or maybe Affleck and Damon are just really *****ty movie script choosers, because they are the ones that basically say what gets chosen to be made. Their moronic choice for director didn't help, when atleast 3 of the other finalists showed better directorial skills in their entry shorts.
Old 08-25-03, 12:55 AM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

I read the original script and that would have been a great movie. But as the show demonstrated, Miramax wanted them to change it from a drama with comedic moments, into a full blown comedy which I think was a stupid thing to do. They pretty much destroyed the essence of the film. And the poster for the film is one of the worst I have seen in recent years. I guess Miramax's way of thinking is that at least this film is no "Stolen Summer".
Old 08-25-03, 11:46 AM
Banned

You have to wonder if the intention of Project Greenlight is the final product or the TV show itself. Because the two-headed director may have been chosen with a script that's not their thing to spice up the show.
Old 08-25-03, 07:34 PM
DRG
DVD Talk Legend

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally posted by Blaster1
The problem with Project Greenlight is they have to pick a script that can be made for under 1 million dollars. Alot of the scripts that lost out sounded alot better, but they couldn't have been made for that much money. Or maybe Affleck and Damon are just really *****ty movie script choosers, because they are the ones that basically say what gets chosen to be made.
Actually, the biggest problem with the system is the peer judging process. As a contestant, you also judge the other screenplays. It starts off with a couple thousand, which is whittled down to 250, which is whittled down to 50. The Greenlight crew doesn't even take part in the process until it's down to 50. What happens is you end up with a lot fo dishonest contestants who trash the hell out of any halfway decent script that comes their way. This way their script has a better chance of slipping through, although I'm sure those immature enough to have this mentality probably didn't write anything worthwhile in first place.

I was lucky enough to land in the top 250 round, but my "reviews" at that point where silly. People would vindictively give out all the lowest grades across the board with their only comment being "it sux". Or someone would trash the script and the comments would reference a bunch of stuff that isn't even in the script! The least they could do is read it before sharpening their knives. But what can you do?
Old 08-25-03, 07:54 PM
Suspended

Well congrats in getting that far at least. A shame, it's the biggest problem with the net and why contests like this will never really be fair. On the net, people can be d*cks just because they can.
Old 08-25-03, 09:58 PM
Needs to contact an admin about multiple accounts

I though the program is pretty good because it shows a lot of the ********. But, I do not know if I will like it....