Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Movie Talk
Reload this Page >

Has anyone seen Friedkin's Sorcerer?

Movie Talk A Discussion area for everything movie related including films In The Theaters

Has anyone seen Friedkin's Sorcerer?

Old 07-25-03, 10:04 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I never watched Sorcerer, but if it is anything like Wages of Fear - than I'll have to pass. I bought Wages of Fear as a blind buy and I must say, I really , really disliked the film. I don't understand the appeal of it at all.. To each his own though.
Old 07-26-03, 01:38 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 798 Likes on 566 Posts
A few scenes in Sorcerer are breathtakingly intense (i.e. the crossing of the rickety hanging bridge during a blinding rainstorm) but, as with Wages of Fear, it's too often bloated and languorous rather than engrossing.
Old 04-16-12, 10:48 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Re: Has anyone seen Friedkin's Sorcerer?

William Friedkin Sues Paramount, Universal Over 'Sorcerer' Ownership

The director of the 1977 thriller demands answers as to who owns his film.

Oscar-winning director William Friedkin is baffled by why he's not being allowed to screen his 1977 thriller Sorcerer and is suing Paramount Pictures and Universal Studios over rights to exploit the film.

Friedkin filed his complaint Thursday in Los Angeles Superior Court and seeks a declaration on his rights.

The director, who won an Oscar in 1972 for The French Connection and was nominated again in 1974 for The Exorcist, followed those films up in 1977 with Sorcerer, starring Roy Scheider about a bunch of criminals who end up in South America and must transport highly volatile nitroglycerin to an oil well that has exploded. The Wages of Fear remake got decent reviews but was a box-office disappointment.

Thirty-five years later, Friedkin reports that he's often asked for assistance in obtaining prints of the film and to speak at screenings, but he's been frustrated by Paramount and Universal's alleged dodginess to identify what rights, if any, either company has over Sorcerer.

The companies co-produced the $22 million film, and both have had rights to the picture. But now, Freidkin says there's uncertainty.

"Each has recently disclaimed rights to exploit the picture in the United States and admitted ignorance as to who, if anyone, currently has such rights," says the lawsuit. "Bafflingly, however, defendants persist in denying that Friedkin has any rights to exploit the picture."

Friedkin is now stepping up to say he has rights to exploit the film, which amounts to a challenge to the film companies to dig through the paperwork and, if they want, make a claim.

However, such a move could come at a price.

Friedkin also says in the complaint that he hasn't received a profit-participation statement or accounting regarding the film in more than 20 years.

No response yet from Universal and Paramount.

LINK
Old 04-16-12, 02:44 PM

Originally Posted by Cardiac161
I have read that this movie was pretty much the cause of William Friedkin's fall from grace after making The Exorcist & The French Connection.

Can anyone comment as to how good of a film this is and if it is out on dvd?

Thanks!!!
ummm, yeah, its one of the best movies EVER!!

very hard to find on DVD, and not available on Blu-Ray. This movies begs for a Criterion BR release.

Either Sorcerer or Network should have won Best Picture oscar in 1977!!

such a great movie, very intense.
Old 04-16-12, 02:46 PM
DVD Talk Reviewer

Received 38 Likes on 30 Posts

The current DVD is a lame pan-and-scan job from Universal.
Old 04-16-12, 03:04 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 246 Likes on 175 Posts

I prefer the 1958 version, Violent Road, of the three. This time around it's tanker trucks loaded with rocket fuel going through the Sierras to a Los Alamos type rocket base. Usual lot of hard luck drivers. Brian Keith is gambler who owes money to Vegas mob. Efrem Zimbalist Jr. is rocket scientist who just doesn't care anymore after wife and daughter killed in accident. Saw it once as little kid and again in early 80s on TBS. I remember the fuel is real corrisive and a valve is leaking on one of the trucks, one guy tightens the valve with the shit eating his hand. My most wanted film from Warner Archive.
Old 04-16-12, 03:07 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Originally Posted by gutwrencher
I personally love this film. saw it in the theater back in the day and many times since. the dvd is crap...but does not make me love the film any less. I own it...I'll keep it. I'll upgrade if ever the chance. I also have a framed poster, original 1 sheet.
What that ^ handsome guy said. And I'm still waiting with the same ole crap dvd! But a real nice autographed poster (Roy) is in on my wall. GREAT film.
Old 04-16-12, 03:09 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 695 Likes on 429 Posts

Love Sorcerer. Would love even more to have it on BR or firmly in hand
Old 04-16-12, 03:13 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Sorcerer is a top ten film for me. Friedkin at the top of his game. If this lawsuit and the attention somehow result in a BR that would be fantastic. I still watch my crappy DVD of the film at least once a year.
Old 04-16-12, 03:29 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,299 Likes on 943 Posts

What that ^ handsome guy said. And I'm still waiting with the same ole crap dvd! But a real nice autographed poster (Roy) is in on my wall. GREAT film.
Wow, a gut sighting!
Old 04-16-12, 04:38 PM

Originally Posted by TomOpus
Wow, a gut sighting!
Weird, right? Hello TomOpus! Been a while! Hope you are doing well. Yeah, although I don't actively cruise DVD Talk any longer, once in a blue moon I'll get an email/post notification and can't resist. Brings back good memories!

Not the collector that I once was....but still have every dvd. Never sold a one. Now I spend all my money on Stand-up-paddleboards and other boats. I work at the Department of Natural Resources and work as an ACA canoe and kayak intsructor, so I spend most of time outside and don't watch as much as I use to.

Watched a Dario Argento selection last night. Still love my euro-horror and nunsploitation!

Did you move? Have you always been in KC? You are right down the road....for the most part. I go to KC all the time. Maybe we should grab a beer?
Old 04-16-12, 04:48 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,299 Likes on 943 Posts

Watched a Dario Argento selection last night. Still love my euro-horror and nunsploitation!
I was thinking of you since we started the Drive-In Movie Challenge a couple weeks ago. Your collection would've fit right in but sounds like you wouldn't have much time to participate.

Did you move? Have you always been in KC? You are right down the road....for the most part. I go to KC all the time. Maybe we should grab a beer?
Yes, I moved here from San Diego a few months ago. Next time you think you'll be in town, PM or email me and, hopefully, our schedules will work out. Would be great to have a beer and bbq with ya.
Old 04-16-12, 05:06 PM

Originally Posted by TomOpus
I was thinking of you since we started the Drive-In Movie Challenge a couple weeks ago. Your collection would've fit right in but sounds like you wouldn't have much time to participate.

Yes, I moved here from San Diego a few months ago. Next time you think you'll be in town, PM or email me and, hopefully, our schedules will work out. Would be great to have a beer and bbq with ya.
Ahhh...right, San Diego. Wow....welcome to the Midwest. That sounds awesome.....I'll keep you in the loop and let you know a few weeks in advance. The drive down from Des Moines is fast. Probably won't be down until later in May or mid June....but look forward to meeting you! Beer and Q sounds great!
Old 04-16-12, 05:08 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 182 Likes on 120 Posts

Originally Posted by Boba Fett
The current DVD is a lame pan-and-scan job from Universal.
Open matte as per Friedkin's wishes.
Old 04-19-12, 04:50 PM
DVD Talk Reviewer

Originally Posted by inri222
Open matte as per Friedkin's wishes.
I've heard that, but certain shots look cropped on the sides.

I'll check later, but I also think it has the "formatted to fit your screen" warning which shouldn't be attributed to anything open matte.
Old 04-19-12, 05:11 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I really like this film too, have for a long time. I need to break the DVD out and watch it again.
Old 04-19-12, 05:21 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 753 Likes on 490 Posts

Count me as another one who really likes Sorcerer. As others have said, Friedkin was really at the top of his game in this one. From what I remember from reading Easy Riders, Raging Bulls, Friedkin made no friends in the making of this film.
Old 06-15-12, 06:05 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 246 Likes on 175 Posts

For anyone interested. TCM is showing the 1958 version, VIOLENT ROAD this monday at 5:30pm(central). This is the one where guys with nothing to lose hire on to drive tanker trucks full of rocket fuel over treacherous roads in the Sierras.
Old 06-15-12, 09:08 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 622 Likes on 480 Posts

Originally Posted by Geofferson
YES!

Personally, I love the film. One of the most underrated 70s movies, IMO. The Tangerine Dream score is fantastic!
I agree. I first saw this when I was a kid (maybe 8 or 10) and it kept me glued to my seat.

Sadly, I've never seen the original.
Old 06-15-12, 10:07 PM
DVD Talk Reviewer

Friedkin replied to me on Twitter stating the case vs. Universal will hit courts in the next few weeks.
Old 06-15-12, 10:11 PM

Nothing to add, just checking in as another Sorcerer fan.

Great soundtrack too.
Old 06-15-12, 11:30 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 182 Likes on 120 Posts

Not a fan of remakes but I just love this film. Friedkin had a nice trifecta in the 70's with The French Connection, The Exorcist & Sorcerer.
Old 06-15-12, 11:50 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 67 Likes on 58 Posts

I'm a fan of Sorcerer who think it is better overall than Wages of Fear (both are quite good once the driving starts, but WoF has a rather bloated beginning)

And the Sorcerer soundtrack is one of Tangerine Dream's best (from back in their heyday, long before their late '80s slide):

<object width="420" height="315"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/aTrNtrIQVdo?version=3&hl=en_US"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/aTrNtrIQVdo?version=3&hl=en_US" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" width="420" height="315" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true"></embed></object>
Old 06-16-12, 05:23 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

saw it in the theatre back in the day. From the look of the trailer, my friend and I thought we were going to see some supernatural fright flick - we made it through the whole movie but were not impressed. Would like to give it another try now that I'm much older.
Old 06-16-12, 05:31 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by Doctor Gonzo
Would like to give it another try now that I'm much older.
Yes it's definitely worth revisiting. I can't recommend it highly enough.

Search this Thread

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.