Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Movie Talk
Reload this Page >

Lara Croft: Tomb Raider – The Cradle of Life

Community
Search
Movie Talk A Discussion area for everything movie related including films In The Theaters

Lara Croft: Tomb Raider – The Cradle of Life

Search this Thread

Old 07-25-03, 11:51 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts
Closing line of the review in today's NY Daily News:

"How could something so expensive, so loud and so frenetic simultaneously be so mind-numbingly boring?"
Old 07-25-03, 01:13 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 202 Likes on 156 Posts
Since when will reviews matter in a movie like this anyway? It's based on a video game, nothing much to expect.

This is a thread more or less made for the few people that feel a second outing was worth the trip.
Old 07-25-03, 05:48 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Saw it. Thought it was a lot better than the first one and worth the matinee price. I'm a geeky horndog, true, but this one had more of the feel of a traditional adventure than a video game based movie.
I will definitely buy the DVD.
Keep your expectations modest and this one won't disappoint. Of course I doubt many of you will bother seeing this one after the problematic first one.
Old 07-25-03, 06:09 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
23% = Rotten (Rottentomatoes.com)

My local paper gives it 1 out of 5 stars and lambasts it worse than I have ever seen in a review. All this doesn't mean it is awful but it does make me a bit skeptical.

I'll wait for the DVD...
Old 07-25-03, 06:26 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 194 Likes on 159 Posts
Originally posted by Dr. DVD
Saw it. Thought it was a lot better than the first one and worth the matinee price. I'm a geeky horndog, true, but this one had more of the feel of a traditional adventure than a video game based movie.
I will definitely buy the DVD.
Keep your expectations modest and this one won't disappoint. Of course I doubt many of you will bother seeing this one after the problematic first one.

I have been wanting to see this one because, to me, it does look much better than the first one. I'm not expecting Indiana Jones, but I think I can be pretty accepting sometimes. Glad you liked it - hopefully I will make it this weekend. Angelina Jolie is looking so much better now than she has in the past few years - that doesn't hurt either.
Old 07-25-03, 07:36 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 14 Likes on 7 Posts
Probably will wait for the DVD.
Old 07-25-03, 07:53 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Watched the first one on DVD last night for the first time. It was OK, not my favorite film, but I'm seen much worse. I went into it knowing that it wouldn't be mind blowing or a masterpiece, so that definitely helped. Plus I find Angelina very easy on the eyes. I will most likely go and see the second one, if for nothing more than to see Angelina on the big screen.
Old 07-25-03, 08:11 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
There is no snap to this film. I thought the characters were bland and lifeless. The stuntwork left me underwhelmed. The locales were sort of interesting, but shot in a manner that just didn't really connect with me.

I didn't think the direction by de Bont was all that good, nor was the script all that interesting. It gets far too predictable towards the end of the film.

I give it 2 stars, or a grade of C.
Old 07-25-03, 08:49 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally posted by Patman
There is no snap to this film. I thought the characters were bland and lifeless. The stuntwork left me underwhelmed. The locales were sort of interesting, but shot in a manner that just didn't really connect with me.

I didn't think the direction by de Bont was all that good, nor was the script all that interesting. It gets far too predictable towards the end of the film.

I give it 2 stars, or a grade of C.

Like it was any different than the first one?
Old 07-25-03, 10:43 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 33 Likes on 32 Posts
Re: Tomb Raider 2: Cradle of Life Reviews

Originally posted by Dr. DVD

the movie is getting reviews that say it is better than the first one, but that still leaves room for improvement.
that's what i thought when i saw it too. though i thought there wasn't much between the two main characters (jolie and butler). i like the plot better though, since it seems a little more realistic. and i enjoyed the references to mythology.

Spoiler:
and i liked the monsters coming out and killing the soldiers.

i was gonna go see pirates of the carribean, if it had only started 6 minutes earlier, but this was still a pretty decent movie.
Old 07-26-03, 04:08 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally posted by Ranger
Probably will wait for the DVD.
This is were I am going to save about $20 by waiting to rent the DVD.
Old 07-26-03, 06:02 PM

Received 97 Likes on 80 Posts
It probably isn't very good, but I bet it is better than the first.
Old 07-26-03, 06:11 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 11 Likes on 7 Posts
Boring kind of sums it up.

The action set pieces are boring, the plot is kind of mundane, and there's even less chemistry between the characters than the first.

Is it better than the first, yes, but only slightly so. It does move pretty quickly, so despite its faults it never becomes very bogged down in one location.

Honestly, its plays a lot like Alias, with constant action, location changes, and a mythological unknow, but without the characters we like or decent dialogue or excitement.

But still...better than the first.
Old 07-27-03, 12:03 PM
DRG
DVD Talk Legend

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Kind of depressing to hear it's boring... that's the worst sin a big summer popcorn flick can commit. I was very upset with the first film, but had my hopes (slightly) up for this one. The concept should be a no-brainer... a female Bruce Wayne meets Indiana Jones, with a dash of 007. I thought there was one great scene in the first movie... where she faces the gigantic statue come alive. That should've been the finale, but instead they went with the lame fight scene. I'll still probably check this out sometime this week.
Old 07-27-03, 02:55 PM
DVD Talk God

Received 614 Likes on 493 Posts
Originally posted by Iron_Giant
This is were I am going to save about $20 by waiting to rent the DVD.

Since when do movie theater tickets cost $24?
Old 07-27-03, 05:58 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Definitely way better than the first. I actually thought it was a lot better than most of the other big summer flicks I've seen. It felt a lot like a Bond film (good thing) and was actually pretty violent for it's PG-13 rating. I think DeBont did a great job with this.
Old 07-27-03, 10:35 PM

Originally posted by matome
Definitely way better than the first. I actually thought it was a lot better than most of the other big summer flicks I've seen. It felt a lot like a Bond film (good thing) and was actually pretty violent for it's PG-13 rating. I think DeBont did a great job with this.

Excellent
Old 07-28-03, 07:25 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 443 Likes on 250 Posts
Wow, the executives at Paramount are going to be pretty disappointed when they see the box office #'s Monday morning
Old 07-28-03, 09:14 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally posted by Jaymole
Wow, the executives at Paramount are going to be pretty disappointed when they see the box office #'s Monday morning
I hope that studio execs learn a lesson from this summer. While I liked T3, TR 2, and Charlies Angels:Full Throttle, a lot of people didn't go see them because they really didn't crave more of those movies. T3 was probably dented by the DVD market more than anything else, but TR2 and CAFT were most likley cases of having a the first movie be a hit with a majority of the audience walking away unsatisfied and not really clamoring for more.
What's a real shame is the big chunks of money the studios sink into these movies. It seems like movies are costing more but making less. Studios need to plan better financially instead of automatically thinking a sequel = $$$.
Old 08-02-03, 07:13 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 17 Likes on 13 Posts
Loved the part where she cuts herself to attract the shark and then proceeds to slug it in the nose as it is about to devour her. The shark becomes disoriented and slightly cowers. She then climbs on the shark's back and rides it to safety holding on to its fin.

Lame.

Last edited by Jack Straw; 08-03-03 at 07:50 PM.
Old 08-02-03, 07:22 PM

The sharks in Nemo were more realistic than that shark.
Old 08-03-03, 07:50 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 17 Likes on 13 Posts
Originally posted by KTIK
The sharks in Nemo were more realistic than that shark.
Old 08-03-03, 11:44 PM
DVD Talk Legend

The movie is fun for what it is -- a typical big-studio popcorn flick. The action sequences are fast-paced, Angelina is hot, and the plot is relatively straightforward. You need to compare this to Bond films -- does it have an inane storyline, cardboard villains and inane dialogue? Check, check, check. But nobody goes to see a Bond flick expecting anything more, and the same standard should be applied to this flick.
Old 08-04-03, 01:34 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

simple question: how long is this movie?
Old 08-04-03, 08:29 AM
DVD Talk God

Received 614 Likes on 493 Posts
Now I liked the first Tomb Raider. I did not like this one as much although Angelina looks awesome - definitely #1 on my list of hottest mainstream actresses. I'd probably give it 2 out of 4 stars.

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.