Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Movie Talk
Reload this Page >

MI-5 (aka Spooks) - Discussion Tread

Movie Talk A Discussion area for everything movie related including films In The Theaters

Old 07-20-03, 04:53 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I have no idea if/how much/how well A&E is promoting this series, but it's really a good show, and it'd be too bad if people missed it. Plus, good TV over the summer can be hard to find.

MI-5 is actually the BBC series Spooks, renamed (and most likely edited down, as the original episodes run 58 minutes each and has no end credits) for US consumption. I've seen the first season/series on DVD, and I've become quite a fan.

The show centers around MI-5, the British domestic counter-terrorism facility. The concept is similar to 24, and MI-5's style certainly owes a lot to it. IMO, based on the first season, this is a better written and less gimmicky show (And, as an added bonus, no Kim!) It's more of a character-oriented show, focusing both on the spying and how spies deal with secret identities in daily life. The self-contained episode plots are well-done, with various different types and levels of threat, and usually with enough twists to keep things from becoming utterly predictable. The characters are built gradually as the show progresses, and manage to all be somewhat interesting.

A&E will be airing all sixteen existing episodes (six from the first season, ten from the second), which is a good thing because
Spoiler:
the first season ends with a particularly agonizing cliffhanger.

"MI-5" debuts this Tuesday at 9 PM, in a special 'sneak peek', and will air regularly Tuesdays at 10 PM. There is a Tuesday 10 PM airing on the 22nd, but it looks like that's going to be the 9 PM episode repeated. It could be that they're airing the full 58 minute episode uncut, but it'd have to be insanely padded out with commercials. The second episode (which has a particularly shocking and memorable scene) isn't scheduled to run until the next week.

Because, hey, at least it's not more reality dating/hook-up TV.
Old 07-20-03, 06:07 AM

this is an excellent show,Jlbkwrm.I don't know if your from the U.K. but the second episode did get alot of complaints but I thought it was well handled.The boxset has come out for season 1 and its pretty sweet, It has 3 discs,DD 5.1,16x9,cast & crew commentaries on 6 uncut episodes,deleted scenes,documentries and you can get all the shows scripts in dvd-rom form.Its a great show that did use a few tricks from 24 but I do hope you all enjoy it.
Old 07-20-03, 07:39 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Any chance of this coming to dvd soon (uncut as well)
Old 07-20-03, 03:41 PM
DVD Talk Legend

At first I thought this was a reality show, but I guess not.
Old 07-20-03, 05:29 PM

Originally posted by jdslater
this is an excellent show,Jlbkwrm.I don't know if your from the U.K. but the second episode did get alot of complaints but I thought it was well handled.
I'm in the US, but I'd heard about the second episode on a message board, got intrigued, did research, and wound up preordering the DVDs. I was pretty surprised by how nice the set is--probably the most extras per episode of any TV set I've seen.

Originally posted by Rypro 525
Any chance of this coming to dvd soon (uncut as well)
I think we'll see DVDs eventually (Hopefully just NTSCd versions of the R2s), but I've got no idea how soon. It looks like the second series hasn't even finished airing in the UK yet, and we probably won't get the second series DVDs before they get theirs (Which, if they go for a yearly release, won't be until June of '04.)

Last edited by Jlbkwrm; 07-20-03 at 09:29 PM.
Old 07-20-03, 06:49 PM
BDB
DVD Talk Legend

Received 107 Likes on 96 Posts
I jsut saw this advertised, and it sure had that bbc look about it, so I had added it to the Tivo Season Pass to check it out.

Thanks for the heads up though..
Old 07-20-03, 08:43 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

I've seen the previews for M!-5 and I'm interested. Can't wait!

I wish A&E would get another series called Ultimate Force about a SAS team. has anyone seen this? Is it any good?
Old 07-20-03, 09:26 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

I never watch A&E, but i was watching a documentary, and saw the preview for this. It gives me kind of a Bourne Identity vibe... VCR is set. I'm in.
Old 07-21-03, 04:29 AM

quote:
Manco
I wish A&E would get another series called Ultimate Force about a SAS team. has anyone seen this? Is it any good?

NO! you see we have 2 main channels over here, BBC and ITV, BBC is paid for by public money and has no adverts were ITV is paid for by adverts, and they have only just got around to show sponsership ala alias & 24.The problem with ultimate force is that the missions they go on are either too small (arms warehouse in the countryside) or missions that the SAS would never do (to stop a bank robbery).
Next to MI-5 it looks cheap and doesn't get close to the same amount of viewers.But as it's on TV it doesn't cost anything to check it out!
Old 07-21-03, 06:25 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Looking forward to this tomorrow!
Old 07-21-03, 08:39 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

I've set up to tape this. It looks pretty interesting. I've enjoyed some of the BBC America stuff. And I'm stoked that they're releasing a boxed set of the Vicar of Dibley!
Old 07-21-03, 08:49 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
I've set my ReplayTV to record this show as well. This should be fun to watch. It reminds me a little of the comic called "Queen and Country".
Old 07-21-03, 09:17 AM

Exactly Patman! Greg Rucka's Queen and Country is an amazing comic series. When I first read about MI5, for a split second, I was hoping that it would be a tv version of Q&C. Oh well. It still looks good and I'm going to tape it. With that and Nip and Tuck an hour later, it make for some interesting tv tuesday night.

Completely OT, but does anyone know if the BBC has any plans to make more episodes of their great vampire/x-files show Ultraviolet? I really liked that show and they left the ending open for some new episodes.
Old 07-21-03, 10:17 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Ultraviolet? Looks like I missed that one. Is it on BBC America at all?
Old 07-21-03, 10:20 AM

Received 122 Likes on 84 Posts
They should've kept the original title just to piss off Spike Lee.
Old 07-21-03, 10:21 AM

Received 97 Likes on 80 Posts
Thanks for the heads-up - I plan on watching this show!
Old 07-21-03, 10:23 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 10 Likes on 5 Posts
http://www.aetv.com/tv/shows/mi5/mi5_homepage.html

and a zap2it review, which addresses the 44 minute versus 58 minute running time. This show sounds pretty cool.

http://tv.zap2it.com/tveditorial/tve...7C1%7C,00.html

Last edited by djbrown; 07-21-03 at 10:47 AM.
Old 07-21-03, 11:09 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally posted by elektra
It's available on DVD .
Old 07-21-03, 12:35 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Chew - Thanks!
Old 07-21-03, 12:46 PM
DVD Talk Hero

I hope if they release it here in the states on dvd, they include both versions
Old 07-22-03, 10:44 AM
DVD Talk Legend

^^bump

This is on tonight!
Old 07-22-03, 11:36 AM

Received 97 Likes on 80 Posts
Originally posted by Chew
^^bump

This is on tonight!
tivo is programmed.
Old 07-22-03, 11:51 AM
My Generosity Is Legendary

Wait a minute... a British show, airing on US TV, and it's not a remake with American actors? How can this be?
I had completely forgotten about this show airing here, so thanks for the reminder.

Completely OT, but does anyone know if the BBC has any plans to make more episodes of their great vampire/x-files show Ultraviolet? I really liked that show and they left the ending open for some new episodes
I believe the original air dates were 1998, so not likely.
Old 07-22-03, 12:47 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

My timer on my PVR is all set.
Old 07-22-03, 03:30 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally posted by elektra
As Pac-Rat said, it ran in 1998 and only lasted one season. Didn't go over well though it was brilliantly handled. The 6 exisiting episodes do a decent job of wrapping up most loose ends. Since Jack Davenport is now on the successful BBC comedy Coupling, I would say it would be unlikely they're going to have any more Ultraviolet episodes.

Can't wait for MI-5 tonight!

Last edited by rfduncan; 07-22-03 at 03:34 PM.

Search this Thread

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.