Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Movie Talk
Reload this Page >

Michael Bay vs. Martin Scorsese, which director has more power in Hollywood?

Community
Search
Movie Talk A Discussion area for everything movie related including films In The Theaters
View Poll Results: Michael Bay vs. Martin Scorsese:who holds more sway
Scorsese
47.62%
Bay
40.48%
neither, everyone wants a film by twikoff
11.90%
Voters: 42. You may not vote on this poll

Search this Thread

Old 07-16-03, 09:34 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 204 Likes on 158 Posts

While Bay's movies obivously make more money, I would like to think that Scorsese holds more sway when it comes to getting his way on pictures. He really does deserve it, and I think that overall, he would have an easier time getting a movie greenlit than Bay.
He is probably the last remaining "auteur" director from the 70s that hasn't truly screwed himself, and while not profitable, a studio exec would most likely go ga-ga over the prospect of being the first someone to finance a Scorsese movie that actually A)makes money, or B) gets him the coveted Oscar.
Also, I think Scorsese actually picks his next projects because they are stories he wants to tell, whereas Bay just looks at a script and says "show me the money" before commiting.

Any thoughts?
Old 07-16-03, 11:18 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I really think that it's very dependent on the type of film project the both of them go into.

I don't think any film studio would have second thoughts on greenlighting a gangster/historical film that Scorsese would like to do. Same as when Bay wishes to do an action-packed, fx-filled, brainless movie.

Weird to even mention Scorsese in the same paragraph as Bay. It sounds scacrilegeous...
Old 07-16-03, 11:33 AM

Originally posted by Cardiac161
IWeird to even mention Scorsese in the same paragraph as Bay. It sounds scacrilegeous...
i agree
Old 07-16-03, 11:57 AM
Banned

I think, like your typical Michael Bay movie, this is a no-brainer. Bay should have no problem getting a paper-thin, all effects and explosions, generic summer blockbuster type film that appeals to the masses made.

Most of Scorsese's movies actually LOSE money, but there aren't many directors out there that a studio would greenlight building an actual set of the Five Corners for something that isn't likely to make its money back in the States alone. Making a Marty film is all about the respect and prestige and knowing you put something of substance and quality out there.
Old 07-16-03, 12:06 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally posted by Cardiac161
I really think that it's very dependent on the type of film project the both of them go into.

I don't think any film studio would have second thoughts on greenlighting a gangster/historical film that Scorsese would like to do. Same as when Bay wishes to do an action-packed, fx-filled, brainless movie.

Weird to even mention Scorsese in the same paragraph as Bay. It sounds scacrilegeous...
I am not trying to compare the two in terms of talent, that would be sacrilege. I am merely asking who holds more sway/power in Hollywood these days: the artist, or the hack?
Old 07-16-03, 12:39 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Bay can command much more money and resources. He also produces projects for other filmmakers. Objectively speaking, he has more power.

However, if Scorsese wants to get a 'difficult' project made (and oh how I wish he would do more of those, like the old times) his name will get some doors opened despite his patchy success record.
Old 07-16-03, 12:59 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

I went with Bay.

Sadly, the almighty dollar holds the power in Hollywood. Music industry too... If it sells, it's got the power. Until the public gets tired of it, and a new money making king/queen is crowned.
Old 07-16-03, 02:41 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 18 Likes on 15 Posts
I think Scorsese has more sway, simply because people want to work with him. I think many people would take much less to work with him, and as a favorite of the actors, he tends to get much more leeway from the studios for a guy who doesn't make money for the studios.
Old 07-16-03, 03:15 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Scorcese by a mile. Bey is always one major flop away from being kicked to the curb. Marty has the cajones to get Gangs of New York made, even at an astronomical price.
Old 07-16-03, 03:52 PM

Originally posted by ncmojo
Scorcese by a mile. Bey is always one major flop away from being kicked to the curb. Marty has the cajones to get Gangs of New York made, even at an astronomical price.
Eh, I'm sure you mean the Weinsteins. If Marty had the "boxes" then Diaz and TheCrapio would not have been in the movie.
Old 07-16-03, 05:02 PM

The fact is that, just like Woody Allen, Scorcese has been able to make the movies he wants because he usually *avoids* relying on giant budgets. That's a hard lesson he learned from the New York, New York fiasco. It looks like a lesson he may have to learn again....

Sad though it is, on any given day Bay can conjure up more investor money faster than Scorcese. Scorcese may have tons of respect, but it takes a lot of doing to convert that respect into cold hard cash.
Old 07-16-03, 06:19 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Well think about it this way. Marty got lots of funding for the big budget GONY. What studio do you think would let Bay direct a movie about the Temptation of Jesus?
Old 07-16-03, 07:43 PM
mwj

Money rules Hollywood. Bay makes more money, so he has more power, unfortunately.
Old 07-16-03, 09:20 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally posted by RyoHazuki7
Well think about it this way. Marty got lots of funding for the big budget GONY. What studio do you think would let Bay direct a movie about the Temptation of Jesus?
If Bay found a way to make it uplifting and action packed, I bet we'd be surprised.
Old 07-16-03, 10:06 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

The only real power Scorsese may have over Bay is the power to attract certain actors for less money or even to get them to sign to a movie at all. For example, I don't think Tom Cruise at this point in his career would agree to work with Michael Bay, but I'm sure he'd work with someone like Scorsese in a heart beat. Similarly, I think a lot of medium-level, respected stars would gouge for as much money as possible before appearing in a Bay film, but would probably take reduced pay on a Scorsese picture.
Old 07-17-03, 01:26 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 6 Likes on 2 Posts
Apples and oranges.......well, apples and dog turds actually.......and while the apple is far sweeter, the turd attracts far too much attention for its own good......
Old 07-17-03, 03:09 AM
Banned

Originally posted by RyoHazuki7
Bay would be perfect to direct the next Jane Austen movie. A rock and roll soundtrack and chase scenes where horse carriages explode loudly would seriously spice up these period pieces, as would a soft and tender moment that has 18 cuts every 20 seconds.
Old 07-17-03, 11:58 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally posted by Face/Off
Bay would be perfect to direct the next Jane Austen movie. A rock and roll soundtrack and chase scenes where horse carriages explode loudly would seriously spice up these period pieces, as would a soft and tender moment that has 18 cuts every 20 seconds.
Rock and roll? Surely you mean hip hop remixes of classical music selections!
Old 07-17-03, 09:37 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Originally posted by Dr. DVD
Rock and roll? Surely you mean hip hop remixes of classical music selections!
or John Williams rap remixes
Old 07-17-03, 09:42 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Yes power has lots of meanings. Which one has an easier time getting money to make a movie? Michael Bay for sure, since he has proven his box office ability. Who can get better talent to work with him? Probably Scorcese. But they also have limitations in terms of what they're making. Scorcese definatley has more free reign, and will be allowed to make what he wants, but there are definite financial limitations he must follow. Bay, as long as he's making an action movie, can make what he want. Butit's difficult to judge because Bay has something Scorcese doesn't...a VERY powerful producer who has more power than both of these directors combined prolly. With Bruckheimer in Bay's corner, he can definately get a lot done. Take away Bruckheimer, I don't think Bay would be anywhere near where he is today.
Old 07-17-03, 10:32 PM

Originally posted by jaeufraser
Yes power has lots of meanings. Which one has an easier time getting money to make a movie? Michael Bay for sure, since he has proven his box office ability. Who can get better talent to work with him? Probably Scorcese. But they also have limitations in terms of what they're making. Scorcese definatley has more free reign, and will be allowed to make what he wants, but there are definite financial limitations he must follow. Bay, as long as he's making an action movie, can make what he want. Butit's difficult to judge because Bay has something Scorcese doesn't...a VERY powerful producer who has more power than both of these directors combined prolly. With Bruckheimer in Bay's corner, he can definately get a lot done. Take away Bruckheimer, I don't think Bay would be anywhere near where he is today.
Exactly
Old 07-17-03, 11:05 PM
DVD Talk Legend

I heard Bay wanted to break away from Bruckheimer after Pearl Harbor. He didn't do such a great job of that did he?
It's interesting that aside from maybe the Disney banner flicks and Black Hawk Down, you could show me any Bruckheimer production and convince me they were all done by the same director.