DVD Talk Forum

DVD Talk Forum (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/)
-   Movie Talk (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/movie-talk-17/)
-   -   Freddy vs Jason-Box Office Predictions/Thoughts (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/movie-talk/305122-freddy-vs-jason-box-office-predictions-thoughts.html)

WNYXican 07-14-03 10:00 PM

Freddy vs Jason-Box Office Predictions/Thoughts

Not sure whats coming out against this(8/16), I think the only movie I i know for sure is Uptown Girls with Brittany Murphy...anyone think that this has a good chance of making some money?

Usually these movies are happy just to make their money back and that warrants another sequel...I think this movie is budgeted at 20-25 million...while theres a good chance it will make the budget back, do you see this movie as doing good money out the gate???? I hope so for myself as I am entertained by these and I like the looks of what I have seen so far.

Im hoping this movie gets around 12-19 million opening, but I guess we shall see.

Troy Stiffler 07-14-03 10:18 PM

I see it ending up with 45mil in just BO sales.

chanster 07-14-03 10:18 PM

I doubt a 12-19 million opening, especially since the box office this summer has been poor all around. I bet about 8 million. I don't think this movie will have much crossover interest...

Corvin 07-14-03 10:21 PM

I think its opening weekend gross will mirror that of Jason X.

Kicker_of_Elves 07-14-03 10:52 PM

i predict sales in the amount of ... *holds pinkie to his lip* 100 billion dollars.. mu ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha... Just Kidding

I think it will do about 80 mil tho

DRG 07-14-03 11:11 PM

If Darkness Falls can open to 10 mil, this should at least open with 15. If New Line starts laying on the hype a bit more they could pull in 20 mil to open, but it'll probably be a 'one weekend' movie either way.

Dr. DVD 07-14-03 11:25 PM

I wouldn't be surprised if it did major business the first weekend, but that's assuming all the people who made Freddy and Jason the icons they are come out of the woodwork. I see it making $50 million tops.
This movie got a major pop when its preview premiered with Matrix Reloaded, but then again, that audience was the kind that knew who the guys were.

GmoneyOwnsYou 07-14-03 11:35 PM

I predict it will make 50-60M by the end of it's run. I know Im going to see it. :)

SunMonkey 07-15-03 12:01 AM

I think it will do better than average for a horror movie. It will get my money, and anyone else I can drag off to see it. :)

KingSmoth 07-15-03 12:06 AM

I think it's going to have a better run than Jason X. Pretty much every time I've seen the trailer, numerous people in the audience cheered, which did not happen for Jason X. Plus it looks fairly scary in comparison to Jason In Space, so it will hopefully be taken a bit more seriously.
I'll be there to support it at least a few times - I saw Jason X five times in the theater(twice opening day) in the first few days it was out.

Face/Off 07-15-03 12:44 AM

Originally posted by KingSmoth
Pretty much every time I've seen the trailer, numerous people in the audience cheered, which did not happen for Jason X.
When I saw the trailer, the audience laughed their asses off at it.

chanster 07-15-03 12:46 AM

Mine too

DonnachaOne 07-15-03 12:58 AM

Laughed their asses off AT it, or WITH it?

I get different reactions with different audiences. Most people seem to be looking forward to it, actually.

I'm sure it'll be a modest horror hit - nothing really special. Should outdo the business of House Of 1000 Corpses. That's if people like it, though - hey, Dracula Vs. Frankenstein wasn't all that great, and that was DRACULA AND FRANKENSTEIN.

Khan 07-15-03 03:21 AM

Why do you care how much money it makes?

Kicker_of_Elves 07-15-03 05:08 AM

Maybe people are hoping it is successful so we get more movies with these two characters...

i hope it doesnt flop because i would love to see more myself..

Trigger 07-15-03 06:05 AM

Originally posted by kicker_of_elves
Maybe people are hoping it is successful so we get more movies with these two characters...

i hope it doesnt flop because i would love to see more myself..

Maybe you should wait till you see this one before you decide you want more of em. :)

Anyway - I predict it'll have a pretty modest box office... more than Jason X and probably more than that New Nightmare movie from a few years back... but I don't think it'll do more than both of those films combined.

Stoolie 07-15-03 07:14 AM

I thought the trailer was interesting until the girl screams, "Go to hell!" I started chuckling at that, and then I laughed out loud at the "Place your bets" line. I know it's a trailer and I know it's all out of context, but these lines lowered my expectations for the film.

I predict a $13 million dollar opening, on it's way to about $35 million.

Kicker_of_Elves 07-15-03 07:47 AM

Originally posted by Trigger
Maybe you should wait till you see this one before you decide you want more of em. :)
Come on Man! The world can never have too much Freddy and Jason!

:)

Groucho 07-15-03 07:51 AM

I have also seen audiences openly laughing AT this trailer. Who knows how it will do? Maybe people will check it out for camp value.

BTW, the only trailer that I've seen getting even more laughs is The Last Samurai.

Trigger 07-15-03 08:00 AM

Originally posted by Groucho
BTW, the only trailer that I've seen getting even more laughs is The Last Samurai.
Yeah - that movie looks like a pile. Normally, I don't poo poo on films I haven't seen, but I can't imagine me liking it. eh - maybe I will.

Zodiac_Speaking 07-15-03 08:28 AM

I think this will surprise people. Critics will roll their eyes and won't see why people will go see this. Having two iconic horror favs fight eachother will have a lot of people planted in the theatre. The trailer here gets great reaction. It only horror competition is Jeppers Creepers 2, but that's the 29th of Aug., two eeks later.

I think this will be a hit, with opening weekend of 25 mill, and about 50 million in its theatrical run-which will be impressive I think.

If, what everyones been saying, that horror fans have been waiting for 10 years to see this, then a big BO return should be expected. I know I'll be there a few times. :)

Geofferson 07-15-03 09:34 AM

I bet it pulls in roughly $18M opening weekend.

Bechman 2000 07-15-03 09:53 AM

Originally posted by Khan
Why do you care how much money it makes?
I care for the mere fact that if this is good, like it looks like it's going to be (I liked Jason X), then maybe more movies for each of these franchises will come out.

I'm definitly looking forward to it. I know that I'm going to be there opening night.

Captain Harlock 07-15-03 10:40 AM

I'm hoping it does bad enough so we won't have to see another Jason movie.

Face/Off 07-15-03 12:54 PM

Originally posted by DonnachaOne
Laughed their asses off AT it, or WITH it?

Well, considering I said that audiences laughed their asses off AT it, what more needs to be cleared up?