DVD Talk Forum

DVD Talk Forum (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/)
-   Movie Talk (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/movie-talk-17/)
-   -   I am so GAY! I'm interested in the new Mandy Moore movie! (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/movie-talk/304902-i-am-so-gay-im-interested-new-mandy-moore-movie.html)

Variable697 07-13-03 11:30 PM

I am so GAY! I'm interested in the new Mandy Moore movie!

For some reason, I'm looking forward to "How to Deal." I saw the trailer and it looks like a real stinker -- total teeny bop, chick crap. Yet I know I will be going to see this. I am not to proud to admit that I watched "A Walk to Remember" and enjoyed it immensely. I also saw "The Lizzie McGuire Movie" and the Britney Spears movie and although I didn't really like them, I did watch them all the way through.

When I talk to friends about film, I throw around words like: "personal vision," "artistic integrity," "painting with light and shadows," etc. (not to mention tossing off names like Godard, Truffaut, Bertolucci, Kurosawa, etc.) But I also don't hide the fact that I like trashy Hollywood genre movies like the recent Terminator 3. Yet I won't admit to friends that I absolutely love chick flicks. A few years ago "She's All That" left me in a giddy state. It's a silly movie; I'm ashamed that I completely loved it. I'm ashamed that I followed Dawson's Creek for 6 seasons. And I'm ashamed that I love Mandy Moore. May God have mercy on my wretched soul. Please Lord, when I die, don't send me to movie hell, where they play a constant loop of films directed by retards like Brett Ratner, McG, and Michael Bay.

Patman 07-13-03 11:34 PM

And this has to do with "gay" how?

Variable697 07-13-03 11:50 PM

Note: No offense to people who are in fact gay or bi-sexual. I was totally in favor of the Lawrence v. Texas ruling.

Variable697 07-13-03 11:57 PM

Originally posted by Patman
And this has to do with "gay" how?
I also forgot to mention that I watched all 4 seasons of Felicity when it re-ran on WE, Women's Entertainment. I think that makes me pretty "gay."

David_M 07-14-03 01:25 AM

No, that just makes you diverse. I like The Thin Man, Citizen Kane and Hitchcock, but I also like a good "chick flick" like Legally Blonde or Somewhere in Time.

A good movie is a good movie no matter what genre it's in. You would have a hard time finding a genre that doesn't have atleast one or more good movies in it.

evanmd 07-14-03 01:28 AM

Originally posted by Variable697
Note: No offense to people who are in fact gay or bi-sexual. I was totally in favor of the Lawrence v. Texas ruling.
[Comic Book Guy]Funniest... post... EVER![/Comic Book Guy]

Buck Turgidson 07-14-03 01:34 AM

You watch a lot of TV shows and movies that prominently feature beautiful women. I think you're clear of any possible problems in that area.

LiquidSky 07-14-03 07:32 AM

You may want to rethink how you use the word "gay" because used in this context, it is offensive. It also makes you seem to be about 12 years old.

Inverse 07-14-03 07:59 AM

Dolph: Oh man! You kissed a girl!

Jimbo: That is SO gay!

Numanoid 07-14-03 09:40 AM

Originally posted by LiquidSky
You may want to rethink how you use the word "gay" because used in this context, it is offensive. It also makes you seem to be about 12 years old.
While I agree that he seems about 12 (based only on his movie preferences ;) ), I have to point out the irony in your remarks. As I'm sure you know, the word "gay" did not originally mean "homosexual". It was a synonym for "happy". Now, after the homosexual community has claimed it for their own, a new meaning has arisen, the one which Variable697 was using. That meaning would be something along the lines of "antithetical to your particular gender". That is a common usage in the current day, and I'd say I hear the word used more that way than to imply homosexuality. For homosexuals to now complain that the word is being used improperly, when they themselves are guilty of doing it first, is quite deliciously ironic.

Groucho 07-14-03 09:42 AM

How queer.

Variable697 07-14-03 12:31 PM

An early review from filmcritic.com is in and it's pretty harsh. Here's the first paragraph:

"You could take a camcorder to the mall, videotape strangers at random, and end up with a better movie than Mandy Moore’s How to Deal. Soggy and melodramatic, this mess aims to address the obstacles we encounter en route to romance. But a pessimistic mood causes the picture to drag its feet. Staged without an ounce of genuine sentiment, Deal makes Britney Spears’ dismal Crossroads look like Casablanca."
-- Sean O'Connell

Ouch. How to Deal is opening on July 18, going up against Bad Boys 2, I wonder how much this is going to make. A Walk to Remember was something of a surprise hit.

DGibFen 07-14-03 01:54 PM

A Walk to Remember was something of a surprise hit.
I actually liked A Walk to Remember quite a bit. It was predictable and melodramatic, but I never felt like anyone overacted or delievered a "definitive" speech on what the audience should be feeling at that moment. It was somewhat restrainted in those areas.

Seantn 07-14-03 02:15 PM

Now YOU are gay!

NCMojo 07-14-03 02:41 PM

Watching movies like The Lizzie Maguire Movie, Crossroads and How to Deal does not mean that you're gay.

Watching movies like The Lizzie Maguire Movie, Crossroads and How to Deal while fantasizing about sweaty naked men... does mean that you're gay.

Oh wait, you watched Dawson's Creek? Yeah, you are totally gay. ;)

Jericho 07-14-03 03:10 PM

Originally posted by Numanoid
While I agree that he seems about 12 (based only on his movie preferences ;) ), I have to point out the irony in your remarks. As I'm sure you know, the word "gay" did not originally mean "homosexual". It was a synonym for "happy". Now, after the homosexual community has claimed it for their own, a new meaning has arisen, the one which Variable697 was using. That meaning would be something along the lines of "antithetical to your particular gender". That is a common usage in the current day, and I'd say I hear the word used more that way than to imply homosexuality. For homosexuals to now complain that the word is being used improperly, when they themselves are guilty of doing it first, is quite deliciously ironic.
Actually I would say that gay would be more of a synonym of lame in the slang/current day usage. Although here you can argue for either meaning.

Cusm 07-14-03 03:51 PM

So when can the lame people of the world start suing the GLA over the usage of the word.

MJKTool 07-14-03 03:55 PM

how embarassing of you to admit such things -wink-

DRG 07-14-03 07:25 PM

Re: I am so GAY! I'm interested in the new Mandy Moore movie!

When I talk to friends about film, I throw around words like: "personal vision," "artistic integrity," "painting with light and shadows," etc.
To which they quickly respond, "Well, I don't see what that has to do with 2 Fast 2 Furious, but errr, thanks anyway." ;)

Ginwen 07-14-03 08:27 PM

Originally posted by DGibFen
I actually liked A Walk to Remember quite a bit. It was predictable and melodramatic, but I never felt like anyone overacted or delievered a "definitive" speech on what the audience should be feeling at that moment. It was somewhat restrainted in those areas.
It was not terrible. (I saw it for free, in a hotel, so I'm not sure whether that makes me gay or not). It was better than Crossroads at least (saw free on the plane, so has no effect on my gayness or lack thereof).

Lastblade 07-14-03 09:58 PM

Not that there is anything WRONG with it....

GmoneyOwnsYou 07-14-03 10:49 PM

Well, Mandy Moore movies are pretty gay.

LiquidSky 07-15-03 08:01 AM

Originally posted by Numanoid
That is rather interesting. So, do you feel there is anything wrong in these people using the term "gay" in an obviously degrogatory context?

What I find ironic (not "deliciously" ironic, though ;) ), is that I am gay and I would never want to see these films.

LiquidSky 07-15-03 08:26 AM

Originally posted by GmoneyOwnsYou
Well, Mandy Moore movies are pretty gay.
Really? Does she play lesbians?

Ginwen 07-15-03 09:42 AM

Originally posted by LiquidSky
Really? Does she play lesbians?
No. That, of course, would be hot, rather than gay.