Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Movie Talk
Reload this Page >

anyone else not really like "unfaithful"

Movie Talk A Discussion area for everything movie related including films In The Theaters

anyone else not really like "unfaithful"

Old 07-15-03, 12:16 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
It was okay, Diane Lane was great, but the plot was kinda stupid. I thought the ending was good, if unsatisfying. Overall, I give it a C+ for DL's performance (and perhaps, her boobies
Old 07-15-03, 01:17 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Originally posted by ncmojo
What got me mad was that this woman had it all -- a great kid, a loving husband, lots of money... what is she doing schlupping with some jerk French guy? I think Lynn was trying to make a paralell to Fatal Attraction, but it just didn't click for me.

What is that old saying? Women cheat because they are unhappy at home... men cheat because they can.
Not to offend the male majority here, but I get the distinct feeling "Unfaithful" didn't sit well with many men because they feel unsettled by the thought that a happily married woman could have an affair.

Try switching the sexes in that quote above. . .

". . .this man had it all -- a great kid, a loving wife, lots of money -- what is he doing schlupping with some bitchy French woman?"

I would think most men could understand or relate to that scenario. Why is it any less understandable with a woman in that role? That old saying about women cheating because of unhappiness and men because they can is sexist -- a woman can be drawn into an affair for a myriad of reasons, even if she is happy in a marriage.

(I'm not implying this is the reason for every male who disliked the film. )

(And yes, I'm female. As far as "Fatal Attraction" goes, I felt for Alex (Glenn Close) in the film, not the wife.)

Last edited by rkndkn; 07-15-03 at 01:32 PM.
Old 07-15-03, 02:55 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I disliked the movie so much I did not go see it or rent it.
Old 07-15-03, 03:23 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally posted by ncmojo
Unforgiven was such a crappy movie...
Yeah, Clint's nude scenes were disappointing
Originally posted by Iron_Giant
I disliked the movie so much I did not go see it or rent it.

Last edited by DonnachaOne; 07-15-03 at 03:25 PM.
Old 07-15-03, 03:26 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 71 Likes on 62 Posts
Originally posted by rkndkn
I liked this movie a lot, and particularly that there was no "clearcut" explanation of why she embarked on the affair -- just like real life. It may have just been lust, but it's so refreshing to see a female portrayed that way, instead of being the tearful wife with the wandering husband.
It's refreshing to see a female portrayed in what way? As a lying, cheating adulteress? Not that refreshing to me, really.

I didn't like the movie much at all. The ending turned the focus onto Gere
Spoiler:
for the murder--he's the bad guy and oh what should he do--run away with his cheating wife or turn himself in--
and took the focus off the cheating wife. I guess it did show well that actions have consequences...
Old 07-15-03, 06:46 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Originally posted by uteotw
It's refreshing to see a female portrayed in what way? As a lying, cheating adulteress? Not that refreshing to me, really.

As a sexual being, who does not necessarily equate sex and love, as is the female stereotype. That a woman can be just as overwhelmed by lust, even though she loves her spouse. I did not for a moment doubt that Connie loved her husband. I don't see her as a "villain" by any means.

Last edited by rkndkn; 07-15-03 at 09:05 PM.
Old 07-15-03, 11:52 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

I wouldn't say this film was perfect, but I found it offered enough to easily overcome the problems.

I especially liked Lane's performance and the film's rather unexpected shift in focus about halfway through.
Old 07-16-03, 07:37 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Diane Lane's performance was strong but I thought the film was a piece of doo doo better suited for a made for USA Network movie. That kid cannot act worth a damn.
Old 07-19-03, 06:21 PM

I'm probably one of the few that loved the film. I think Lane's performance was excellent. I like Adrian Lyne's visual style. I didn't think it was anachronistic. I have to disagree with the sex scenes in that they were not graphic at all. Very tame compared to Basic Instinct. The musical score was great as well. As for the lack of reason for her infidelity......should there be a reason? There are afterall people out there who are happily married who would by opportunity or chance have sex with an attractive person for the sake of sex if nothing else. Voila! There is the "reason" for her infidelity....plain old LUST......if men are capable of it why not women? And we know all too well where lust lead to.............obsession, jealousy, rage, betrayal........even murder...
Old 07-19-03, 06:35 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 622 Likes on 480 Posts
Originally posted by mookiemeister
I must be the only person who enjoyed the movie. Even though the movie is a bit cliched and they never really explain why why the wife cheated since her marriage didn't seem to have any problem.
The point of the movie was that there are people that still cheat even though there is nothing wrong with their respective marriage. It's because of that message that I didn't like the movie. Not because it was shocking, though. I just said "no? Really?" There was no redeeming quality in the story since it was all predictable and the "shock value" that appealed to those that toldme they liked it was not there forme since things like this are not unheard of to me.
Old 07-19-03, 06:42 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 622 Likes on 480 Posts
Originally posted by NCMojo
Oh yeah, nothing like a movie without an ending. Yeah, I love those films where you say... wait a minute. Did the film just end? Yes, I think it did. Look, there's credits! Wow...

Unforgiven was such a crappy movie. What got me mad was that this woman had it all -- a great kid, a loving husband, lots of money... what is she doing schlupping with some jerk French guy? I think Lynn was trying to make a paralell to Fatal Attraction, but it just didn't click for me.

What is that old saying? Women cheat because they are unhappy at home... men cheat because they can.
Your mistake in the film's title aside, my reply to mookiemeister would be appropriate for you too.

Just like men, women do not need a lack of love to cheat. They lust as much (and ofentimes more) as men do. Not the most surprising story and the plot element is the only thing that the film has going for it so I felt it was lame. I was unsurprised by what I saw since I've heard this a million times before. And the film had an ending. Too much of an ending, in fact. It was all spelled out for you. I also felt that the murder was too heavy-handed in its execution.

Last edited by RocShemp; 07-19-03 at 06:44 PM.
Old 07-19-03, 09:02 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

I remember diane lane when she was a bad actress. She was hot, but still pretty bad.

Now I know her as an older, still attractive actress who's not as bad as she use to be, but getting way too much credit for her peformances lately. Especially in this one. I mean, my grandmother would have been equally convincing had she played
a married woman who was turned on by a hot young french guy.
Old 07-23-03, 02:03 AM

Re: anyone else not really like "unfaithful"

*raising hand*. Diane Lane is beautiful, and her acting is okay. But I never really fit into this kind of story.
Old 07-23-03, 08:15 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

This movie was weak. See it only if you want to check out some Diane Lane nudity. LOL, if all detectives were as ridiculously inept as the ones in this movie, we'd be in serious trouble.
Old 07-23-03, 10:02 PM

I just didn't like because it wasn't a good movie. It was overly cliched, the direction was not engaging and the script was weak. Diane Lane put in a good performance. I have to agree with a previous post that it's not 1987 and we've seen all these cliches before. Also, what graphic sex scenes? Just my opinion.
Old 10-22-03, 07:47 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

This is now on HBO and I caught it last night:

In the early stages this movie is pretty good. Although it does contain a few too many of the cliched suburban-boring-marriage-movie images (Pottery Barn house, grocery stores, SUVs), the set-up and delivery of Lane's affair is handled well. While I didn't quite buy Paul's character (a ball of hearthrob cliches: three day stuble, artfully messy but huge loft, studiously memorizing romantic books), Lane's acting more than makes up for it. Her scene on the train is especially good. She is also (as always) drop dead gorgeous. This woman is ageless!

After this fairly strong start, the movie totally falls apart. It devolves into straight Fatal Attraction melodrama. Everything is by-the book and ripped from any of 500 other movies. Suddenly, Lane's affair becomes sleezy and verboten, rather than exciting and a little dangerous. During the school play scene, it really craters. OK, we get it, they want to maintain their happy suburban facade while there's
Spoiler:
a body in the trunk
. Yes, yes, we all know that middle class white marriage is inevitably rotten at the core, that women only cheat because their husbands are cold and distant, that adultery leads directly to
Spoiler:
murder
. Then come the Stupidest Detectives in Film History and suddenly, we're in "Basic Instinct" territory. Man, does this film fall apart.

Still worth seeing because Diane Lane is a talented hotty.
Old 10-22-03, 07:58 AM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 1,793 Likes on 1,121 Posts
I finally saw this movie and I thought it was lame.

The ending was lame. Nuff said.

Last edited by Giantrobo; 10-22-03 at 08:00 AM.
Old 10-22-03, 08:10 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Location: (formerly known as Inglenook Hampendick) Fairbanks, Alaska!
Received 507 Likes on 351 Posts
[chiming in] Watched this with the wife (her dang NetFlix list). Lane was hot, movie was predictable and rather unpalatable. I give it a .
Old 10-22-03, 08:24 AM
DVD Talk Legend

The movie was ok.

Very retarded storm scene.

The only part i thought was great was:

the sex scene in the hallway.
Old 10-22-03, 09:41 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Don't let Martin Jeeves & friends see this thread!