Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Movie Talk
Reload this Page >

Swimming Pool (Ozon)

Community
Search
Movie Talk A Discussion area for everything movie related including films In The Theaters

Swimming Pool (Ozon)

Search this Thread

Old 07-13-03, 01:03 AM
MrN
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Swimming Pool (Ozon)

Just wanted to say a little about Swimming Pool, by François Ozon, which I saw today. Sorry about the spoiler tags but I don't want to ruin it for people who haven't seen it yet.

Basically the film felt like Ozon doing a Chabrol. Still its one of the better Ozon films. Both Charlotte Rampling and Ludivine Sagnier held their own but there's some cheesy dialogue/plot that may or may not have been intentional. The film is interesting throughout as Sarah (Rampling) retreats to rural France to try to work on her latest book but is interrupted by the unexpected arrival of Julie (Sagnier). Lots of T&A for fans of that.

And about the ending...
Spoiler:
I thought it was a big gimmick, turning the film on its head. There was plenty of suspense and mystery without the need for what Ozon did. The way I see it there's only one possible explanation - Sarah is incredibly creative and Julie was her invention and for purposes of her book we see the book as it unravels rather than the actual events. I would have much preferred a more conventional mystery - Julie as an imposter or a black sheep. There's no reason the owner can't have two daughters and its already been established he has a family in England. I guess I just didn't care for the forced twist which solves all the mysteries in one swoop.

6/10 - possibly a 7 depending on how things make sense once I sleep on it.
Old 07-13-03, 05:51 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Thanks for your thoughts on the film MrN and for the courteous use of spoiler tags as I'm attempting to avoid them. I'm still waiting for this to arrive in town so I can compare it to his two most recent: Under The Sand and 8 Women. Hearing of your comparison to Ozon doing Chabrol have made me even more interested as I've just recently finished the boxset.
Old 07-13-03, 11:38 PM
Banned

Reasons why I will go see Swimming Pool:

Official: I want to see a foreign art film by an acclaimed and relatively young director who will be making interesting films for years to come.

Un-official: I want to see boobs.
Old 07-14-03, 01:37 PM

Ozon's films are hardly interesting. IMO the boobs excuse is a much better reason/excuse.
Old 07-15-03, 12:07 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

I want to see this, but it's a French film that's in English??
Old 07-15-03, 12:38 PM

Received 17 Likes on 13 Posts
the film toggles between English and French, but it's predominently English.
Old 07-26-03, 11:19 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

I think I'll see this film for the nudity, heh. And I guess I'll be supporting a art/foreign film, which is during a summer with such attention towards mindless popcorn flicks.
Old 07-27-03, 02:22 AM

Heres what I posted about Ludivine last October. I need to see Swimming Pool.

I haven't gotten around to watching all the 4 or 5 Ozon films that played on IFC or Sundance a few months back, but one look at Ludivine Sagnier in Water Drops and I bought the DVD using only a 10% Borders coupon. She is the ripest young actress I've seen in a long time and the 10 or so minutes she spends simply sitting around without her shirt on are nothing short of spectacular. (see a pic at nitrovideo.com) She looks kinda goofy as the youngest daughter in 8 Femmes but the song she sings is very catchy. I happened to stumble across the music video as filler after the saturday night french movie on the International channel and after further research all I can say is Ooh la la!!!!
Old 07-31-03, 12:59 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Great film!

Charlotte Rampling and Ludivine Sagnier are great to
watch go back and forth.

IMO some of the cheesy dialogue was meant to be funny, which
I thought it was.

The ending wasn't a copout at all for me, it just wrapped up
what was an enjoyable time at the movies.

**I don't think I've ever gotten this much out of a movie
with this much T&A before**

There wasn't need for much wardrobe for Miss Sagnier.
Old 07-31-03, 06:18 AM

I have to agree with Mackey. I didn't feel cheated by the ending. I was indeed surprised, as I sat watching the credits trying to figure the ending out. But, when I finally did, it didn't ruin it for me, at least.

Ludivine Sagnier is definetly smoking! Too bad she can't improve her accent and appear in more "American" films. But, hey, what about Charlotte Rampling's scene at the end? Jeesh, nice rack for a 58 year-old! Am I right?

I've recommended this film to several friends (it's even playing on the huge AMC 30 screen multi-plex in my town of KC) and I don't think they will be dissapointed.

Have a nice day.
Old 07-31-03, 08:01 AM

Received 5 Likes on 2 Posts
Thanks for the Spoiler tags. This finally hit L-Ville last weekend, but I was gone, so I'm going to see it tonight. Can't wait!
Old 07-31-03, 09:39 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

I saw this a while back. Quite an ending. Overall it's a pretty entertaining film--I wouldn't say it was spectacular though.
Old 08-02-03, 10:08 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

It's got an 86% approval rating at Rotten Tomatoes.

83 fresh, 14 rotten

I love the poster as well.
Old 08-03-03, 10:32 AM

And sadly the dvd cover will not look anything like that I bet, more big heads...
Old 08-09-03, 06:15 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
I haven't read this thread, so bare with me, is there any plot or anything of such for this movie, or is this just an excuse for a horn dog teen (my self) to look at a woman naked walking around a pool for 2 hours.
Old 08-10-03, 01:27 AM
MrN

Originally posted by Rypro 525
I haven't read this thread, so bare with me, is there any plot or anything of such for this movie, or is this just an excuse for a horn dog teen (my self) to look at a woman naked walking around a pool for 2 hours.
Yes there is, whether you'll like how its resolved is something you'll find out for yourself.
If you don't I guess at least you get to see some titties.
Old 09-10-03, 12:26 AM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Saw this tonight, enjoyable but not sure if I could watch it again. And yes, that Ludivine Sagnier is smokin'.
Old 09-10-03, 12:45 PM
DVD Talk Legend

I cannot believe that Ludivine Sagnier is the same chick that was in 8 Femmes (8 Women). I would never have thought that they were the same person. What a difference a year or two makes...
Old 01-18-04, 09:18 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

I just watched the movie, and still dont understand the ending fully... Can someone explain it to me (using SPoiler tags please)... its funny I can understand David Lynch movies fine, but this one has me guessing and I am now confused....
Old 01-18-04, 10:29 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

I really enjoyed this movie and I like the fact that I'm still going over the different possibilities in my mind. Not quite as enjoyable as 8 Women (which I view as a modern classic) but still very good and challenging. I did feel somewhat "dirty" when watching this as Ludivine Sagnier is definately hot, yet she looks like she's about 13 or 14.
Old 01-18-04, 01:12 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally posted by kurupt
I really enjoyed this movie and I like the fact that I'm still going over the different possibilities in my mind. Not quite as enjoyable as 8 Women (which I view as a modern classic) but still very good and challenging. I did feel somewhat "dirty" when watching this as Ludivine Sagnier is definately hot, yet she looks like she's about 13 or 14.
Her birthdate is July 3,1979, so she is 24 years old. Go, and feel guilt no more.
Old 01-18-04, 08:48 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

anyone care to explain this ending to me!!!
Old 01-19-04, 09:01 AM
MrN

Originally posted by REL77
anyone care to explain this ending to me!!!

Spoiler:
Julie is a figment of Sarah's imagination. That's all thats important.
Old 01-24-04, 01:29 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 6 Likes on 2 Posts
I just watched this tonight, and all i could think at the end was that I saw this movie a year ago, and it was called Adaptation.
Old 01-24-04, 02:02 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Disappointing despite Ludivine's beautiful bosom. Rarely have I seen a French film be so obvious and on-the-nose. Things were going fairly well until the 'event' happened, then it just got more and more implausible, and the ending felt really cheap instead of profound or thought-provoking.

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.