Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Movie Talk
Reload this Page >

Ferris Bueller's Day Off - Edited?

Movie Talk A Discussion area for everything movie related including films In The Theaters

Old 07-12-03, 10:33 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Hello,

I got a question.. hopefully someone will have an answer. Or it'll end up with me just being crazy. :-\

I saw this movie years ago on Cable TV and I recall a scene where Ferris's girlfriend is undressing by the pool with his friend in that 'comma' like state secretly watching her.

Well, fastforward a few years, I own the DVD now, bought it 2 for 12 with Lock, Stock, and Two Smoking Barrels at BB.

Anyways, after watching the movie twice, that scene appears to be gone. Yet towards the end of the movie the girl ask Ferris's friend [his name escapes me] if he was watching her undress by the pool.. and he kinda smiles and so on.

So I know I'm not crazy, that scene is/was in the movie. Because she mentions changing. But either i somehow managed to miss it, or it's been taken out of the DVD?

-Andy
The following users liked this post:
Chinall (10-24-23)
Old 07-12-03, 10:57 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
As far as I remember that scene was not in the movie. Yes, she mentions it...but that doesn't mean that it was in the movie like you assumed. Maybe you just seem to remember it, because she mentions it and then you imagined what the scene was like.

So you are crazy...that scene was not in the movie.
Old 07-12-03, 10:58 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

The part you mention was never shown in theaters (saw it numerous times, loved this movie since the day I played hookie to see it in the theater )

Either it is a false memory (like those that swear they saw the Biggs Tatooine scene in Star Wars or like me that swears up and down that I saw Arnold pull the heart out of the punk in The Terminator when I first saw this movie way back when) or it is a cutscene they put in to pad the broadcast version to fit the alotted time.
Old 07-12-03, 11:10 AM

I have also seen the scene mentioned above. Dinozero is not crazy. I saw the movie not long ago, in the edited for TV format, so maybe it is a cut scene added to alot for TV time, as Fruedguy mentioned. Who knows, but I do know I did see that same scene.
Old 07-12-03, 11:25 AM

I also saw that scene in the UK version. It is definitely in the movie.
Old 07-12-03, 12:18 PM

I'm pretty sure I saw that scene about 5 years ago in a television or cable broadcast. It didn't show any nudity, but it was there. I was beginning to think I was crazy too.
Old 07-12-03, 12:30 PM

Yeah...

it was something that was in the TV broadcasts. Shame it's not on the dvd, but it's not like you're missing a lot.
Old 07-12-03, 01:08 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Nothing on IMDB about that.
Old 07-12-03, 01:12 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Like Fast Times at Ridgemont High...tons added in for TV.
Old 07-12-03, 01:27 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

I saw it too (on TV and VHS in UK ). Is it on the R2 DVD version ?
Old 07-12-03, 02:50 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 911 Likes on 646 Posts
I remember that scene. No one here is crazy.
Old 07-12-03, 02:50 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

I know that scene is definitely NOT in the U.S. original theatrical version. I guess they could have put that on the DVD as a deleted scene, if anything.

Actually, by NOT seeing her undress, I think it makes it more vague as to what Cameron actually saw (and perhaps a little funnier).
Old 07-12-03, 03:04 PM

Last year, I saw that movie at a midnight showing that my local theater holds, and that scene was definitely included.
Old 07-12-03, 03:05 PM

Whew, I was beginning to think I made it up in my head. No nudity, nothing sick or perverted. I don't even remember it lasting but a few seconds. It's mainly her taking her shirt and pants off I think? and then she swims in what she has under them. I don't remember exactly.

But it is interesting it's gone..
Old 07-12-03, 04:27 PM

A lot of movies do this for Television.
Most notable for me are, Blazing Saddles, Smokey and the Bandit and Murder by Death. All have very funny scenes that are not shown in the original movie.
Old 07-12-03, 04:43 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Hmm, a "comma" like state? Are you sure? Was he bent like a backwards "L"? However, watching the movie 50 times in a row will put people in a coma like state.
Old 07-12-03, 04:53 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 120 Likes on 80 Posts
Shame on any showing of this film that omits a scene featuring the wonderful Mia Sara.......
Old 07-12-03, 05:22 PM

I have DEFINITELY seen that seen on TV cuts as well. I am certain of it. I used to have it on tape somewhere... too bad I long ago got rid of it. . .

Anyways, no one here is crazy. That scene does exist.
Old 07-12-03, 06:13 PM
Suspended

Received 101 Likes on 87 Posts
It exists. Everytime I see it on TV I see that scene.
Old 07-12-03, 07:34 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 2,723 Likes on 1,879 Posts
If you want to see Mia Sara undressing for a swim, she did so in "Black Day, Blue Night." It was somewhat dark, but she did show off everything.

Which is not, to my knowledge, available on DVD.
Old 07-12-03, 09:50 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

I guess the HBO version did not need to pad for time (since they're HBO and don't have to live by the same broadcast schedule), as the scene is not in the version I taped off HBO several years ago.
Old 07-12-03, 11:26 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Some examples of huge TV edits are Far and Away and Needful Things, these movies when played on cable tv have had CHUNKS of story reinserted, from whole scenes in Far and Away to a totally different beginning in Needful THings.
Old 07-13-03, 09:17 PM
Banned

I've never seen a movie as much as I've seen "FBDO" and I can say without a doubt that the scene has never been a part of any version I've ever seen. I'd chalk it up to the "false memory" phenomenon. The same phenomenon that's responsible for people remembering the Biggs scenes, Hannibal cutting into Ray Liotta's brain and people remembering "To Be Continued..." at the end of the theatrical version of "Back to the Future". To top it all off, the scene was never in the script, which is available online. Then there's the fact that it's simply obvious that the revelation of Cameron's peeking would be ruined if you actually saw him doing it, thus rendering the entire joke a complete failure in it's earliest form, which makes absolutely no sense. If you remember such a scene in this movie, you're wrong, period. John Hughes deserves a handshake for painting a vivid picture in the minds of a bunch of moviegoers, since everyone is remembering a scene that NEVER EXISTED. The scene just wouldn't work if such footage existed. As it is (and has always been) you're supposed to believe that Cameron Frye is catatonic until he says "Ferris Bueller you're my hero". If this additional scene was a part of this sequence, the whole setup would be ruined. I mean, c'mon, let's think this through. There are two possibilities. Either you:

1: Saw the movie and constructed the events from the non-existant scene using what was revealed in the expository dialogue (which was the actual intention of such dialogue, to let you know what happened WITHOUT ACTUALLY SEEING IT, apparantly it worked incredibly well)

-or-

2: Saw a version of the movie that makes no comedic sense that was released even though it's never been documented online until this thread was posted.

Let's all use our heads. We'll all come to the same conclusion: the scene never existed. "FBDO" is a classic and like all classics the female lead (Mia Sara as Sloane Peterson) was an integral part of the puberty of it's core fans. If there were any footage from this film involving her in any state of undress, the scene would be endlessly documented on celebrity nude websites and it's omission would have caused a huge uproar immediatley upon the disc's release. Now, if someone can prove me wrong, I'll eat my words, but I'm incredibly confident that I'm 100% correct.

Last edited by GuruAskew; 07-13-03 at 09:36 PM.
Old 07-13-03, 09:47 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 113 Likes on 81 Posts
It's not in the version that aired on Turner Classic Movies either. I have it on tape and checked. Somone should keep an eye out next time it airs on a channel with commercials but I don't remember ever seeing that part.

It's certainly intriguing. If it exists you'd think someone would have it on tape. Maybe it is false memory. However when I was kid I swore that I saw Superman frozen in ice before entering Lex Luther's lair even though each time it aired I never saw this scene. Then I found out about the ABC cut and finally saw it again years later on the DVD. Maybe it is some odd cut of the film.
Old 07-13-03, 09:55 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Originally posted by GuruAskew
I've never seen a movie as much as I've seen "FBDO" and I can say without a doubt that the scene has never been a part of any version I've ever seen. I'd chalk it up to the "false memory" phenomenon. The same phenomenon that's responsible for people remembering the Biggs scenes, Hannibal cutting into Ray Liotta's brain and people remembering "To Be Continued..." at the end of the theatrical version of "Back to the Future". To top it all off, the scene was never in the script, which is available online. Then there's the fact that it's simply obvious that the revelation of Cameron's peeking would be ruined if you actually saw him doing it, thus rendering the entire joke a complete failure in it's earliest form, which makes absolutely no sense. If you remember such a scene in this movie, you're wrong, period. John Hughes deserves a handshake for painting a vivid picture in the minds of a bunch of moviegoers, since everyone is remembering a scene that NEVER EXISTED. The scene just wouldn't work if such footage existed. As it is (and has always been) you're supposed to believe that Cameron Frye is catatonic until he says "Ferris Bueller you're my hero". If this additional scene was a part of this sequence, the whole setup would be ruined. I mean, c'mon, let's think this through. There are two possibilities. Either you:

1: Saw the movie and constructed the events from the non-existant scene using what was revealed in the expository dialogue (which was the actual intention of such dialogue, to let you know what happened WITHOUT ACTUALLY SEEING IT, apparantly it worked incredibly well)

-or-

2: Saw a version of the movie that makes no comedic sense that was released even though it's never been documented online until this thread was posted.

Let's all use our heads. We'll all come to the same conclusion: the scene never existed. "FBDO" is a classic and like all classics the female lead (Mia Sara as Sloane Peterson) was an integral part of the puberty of it's core fans. If there were any footage from this film involving her in any state of undress, the scene would be endlessly documented on celebrity nude websites and it's omission would have caused a huge uproar immediatley upon the disc's release. Now, if someone can prove me wrong, I'll eat my words, but I'm incredibly confident that I'm 100% correct.
Ladies and Gentlemen...I think we have found the person w/ all the answers. John Hughes, is that you? If so, thanks for gracing up w/ your presence! When's your next film due out?

Search this Thread

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.