Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Movie Talk
Reload this Page >

Arr! 'Pirates' pulls in over $13 mil opening day!

Community
Search
Movie Talk A Discussion area for everything movie related including films In The Theaters

Search this Thread

Old 07-10-03, 10:11 PM
DRG
DVD Talk Legend

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

http://www.boxofficemojo.com/daily/c...3-07-09&p=.htm

Pirates of the Caribbean pulled in $13,509,262 on it's opening day yesterday. That's more than T3 made last week on it's Wednesday opening, but T3 did have the Tuesday sneaks, so...

I'm thinking the League is toast.
Old 07-10-03, 10:18 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Location: City of the lakers.. riots.. and drug dealing cops.. los(t) Angel(e)s. ca.
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Walk thy plank LXG! yarrrrrgh
Old 07-10-03, 10:26 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Why couldn't the children see the pirate movie? It was rated Arrrr
Old 07-10-03, 10:35 PM

Hardy har har
Old 07-11-03, 03:40 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

I feel bad for LXG. If it breaks 20 mil that would suprise me. I cant think of the audience it is going for.
Old 07-11-03, 06:16 AM

Received 805 Likes on 523 Posts
I'm seeing both this weekend... so I guess I'll negate myself.
Old 07-11-03, 06:27 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts
If you consider the number of kids who have experienced the ride, it's not really surprising that Pirates will pull 'em in. Not too many 7-year olds will opt for Sean Connery instead of this. And for parents, it's a lot cheaper to take the kids to the movie than drag the family back to Disneyland.
Old 07-11-03, 07:40 AM

Originally posted by marty888
If you consider the number of kids who have experienced the ride, it's not really surprising that Pirates will pull 'em in. Not too many 7-year olds will opt for Sean Connery instead of this. And for parents, it's a lot cheaper to take the kids to the movie than drag the family back to Disneyland.
If that were true, then last year's Country Bears wouldn't have bombed. I think the success of Pirates will be because it is simply a good, fun movie and people have been waiting for a good pirate movie since, well, The Pirate Movie.

The movie has only vague similarities to the ride and you don't need to have gone to Disneyland to enjoy the movie. I thought it was one of the best summer movies of the last few years.
Old 07-11-03, 07:57 AM
DVD Talk Legend

HARRRRRR
Old 07-11-03, 08:09 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally posted by Booth

The movie has only vague similarities to the ride and you don't need to have gone to Disneyland to enjoy the movie.
That's so obvious it's not even necessary to say it. The point is that kids RECOGNIZE the name in connection with an enjoyable experience and therefore it has appeal to them.
Old 07-11-03, 08:12 AM

Received 122 Likes on 84 Posts
If you consider the number of kids who have experienced the ride, it's not really surprising that Pirates will pull 'em in.
Not just kids, but adults as well. Everybody grew up on this ride. It's practically an American institution.

What's the record for a Wednesday opening? Anybody know?
Old 07-11-03, 09:04 AM
DVD Talk Godfather

Location: City of the lakers.. riots.. and drug dealing cops.. los(t) Angel(e)s. ca.
Originally posted by Booth
If that were true, then last year's Country Bears wouldn't have bombed. I think the success of Pirates will be because it is simply a good, fun movie and people have been waiting for a good pirate movie since, well, The Pirate Movie.
I was never a fan of the country bears show. Infact, I felt it was torture and I really don't know of many other childern who can honestly say "Lets go to the country bear show mom and dad! forget the rides, I want to see animaltronics" Also, Country bears looked, smelled, felt, and tasted like total crap. that's why it failed.
Old 07-11-03, 09:07 AM

Country Bears = Least popular attraction at Disneyland. Ever. (Second least popular? "Mission to Mars" and we all know what happened with that movie).

Pirates of the Carriabean = Most popular attraction at Disneland. Ever. (Second most popular? "Haunted Mansion" which is coming later this year).
Old 07-11-03, 09:21 AM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Hah! I went on that "Mission to Mars" ride. It was bad. My whole family was just laughing at how bad it was.
Old 07-11-03, 10:44 AM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 26 Likes on 14 Posts
While the name might have a small part in the success, the biggest factor is that its a good movie. Sorry, but i fail to see a movie name playing a large factor in box office success. Otherwise i'll call my first film Hot Naked Women and Big Explosions.
Old 07-11-03, 11:11 AM
DVD Talk Godfather

If the film was called "Stinky Mc Stinker and His crew of Happy go lucky Ship friends".

You will attract a lot of Joe six packs with a name like Naked Women and big explosions but this is a disney ride mixed into a film. Simple as that. If you get something popular and familiar to relate it to, folks will make the connection. Not to mention the little gags in the film that are homage to the ride.

The name means a lot of things to this because it connects the viewer to think, Hey, a movie about a ride I have ridden hundreds of times. Then again, you could see other popular films about pirates such as CUT THROAT ISLAND.
Old 07-11-03, 11:16 AM

I do think name recognition at least got people interested in this film. The stars are all recognizable names, but none are really known as blockbuster draws. And the genre is, well, less than popular.

Then again, there have been movies with horrific titles that became huge sucesses: Star Wars comes to mind.
Old 07-11-03, 11:26 AM

LXG, fairly warned be thee says I, RRRRR!
Old 07-11-03, 04:34 PM

The new movie "Pirates of the Caribbean: Curse of the Black Pearl" went looking for early box office gold and found it by Friday, digging up an estimated $23.8 million in its first two days in theaters.

"Pirates," a creation of the Walt Disney movie studio based on the popular ride at Disney theme parks, is joined by fantasy adventure "The League of Extraordinary Gentlemen" as the two films debuting nationwide this weekend.

The adventurous "Pirates" disembarked from the normal practice of a Friday debut and instead lifted its curtain on Wednesday, bringing in $13.5 million in ticket sales and an estimated $10.3 million on Thursday, according to Disney.

reuters.com
Old 07-11-03, 05:28 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Umm, Pirates is rated PG-13. I would hope there would not be many 7 year olds there but considering the number I saw at Matrix Reloaded with their "parents", I guess there probably will be.
Old 07-11-03, 07:20 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

PG-13 simply means a parent comes along. I'm for that if they don't make it to young.