Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Movie Talk
Reload this Page >

Pirates of the Caribbean [Merged]

Community
Search
Movie Talk A Discussion area for everything movie related including films In The Theaters

Pirates of the Caribbean [Merged]

Search this Thread

Old 07-09-03, 07:32 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Pirates of the Caribbean

What did you guys think?
I just got back from an afternoon showing and was underwhelmed. Nice cinematography and art direction. The action scenes were somewhat ordinary and derivitive. Johnny Depp chews the scenery in the best possible way and steals the movie. The story was pretty lean, as in nothing much going on. But hey , it's based on a ride, so what the heck.....
It was just not as much fun as I thought it would be. It did contain a couple of nice tips of the hat to the Disney ride.
I'll give it a 5/ 6 out of 10. It looks like it ranks pretty high over at rotten tomatoes (82% fresh) so I'm probably in the minority.
I'll still probably pick up the DVD though.
Old 07-09-03, 07:34 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Pirates of the Caribbean

Well, I just got back from seeing Pirates of the Caribbean and I have to say it wasn't as bad as I thought it would be. I actually quite enjoyed it. I thought that they were maybe showing off a little bit when:

Spoiler:
The pirates were fighting and they were going through patches of moonlight, or going from indoors to outdoors, they would switch back and forth from flesh to skeleton.

Anyway, it was by no means best picture, or even up to the standards set by Verbinski's last film, The Ring, but it was nevertheless entertaining and fun to watch.

-CM-
Old 07-09-03, 07:38 PM
TCG
DVD Talk Special Edition

oooh, 2 minutes late.

But this movie looks decent enough. Should be a fun 2 hours. And Depp is usually very good. BTW, how was he?
Old 07-09-03, 09:45 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally posted by TCG
oooh, 2 minutes late.

But this movie looks decent enough. Should be a fun 2 hours. And Depp is usually very good. BTW, how was he?
Whoa... echo came back in 2 minutes.
Old 07-09-03, 09:55 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

I absolutely loved it!

An incrediblely fun, adventurous, and exciting movie. Straight forward high-caliber action with tremendous acting (Depp, Rush) that's not usually found in a "summer blockbuster movie".

I really can't think of anything that I didn't like about this movie. Unless you count the little 15-year old girls who kept wooing when Orlando Bloom came on the screen.

And, this was the first time that I've been at a movie where the audience cheered and clapped at the end.

I always stay till the end of the credits roll and it payed off this time with a little extra ending to the movie.
Old 07-09-03, 10:49 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 29 Likes on 27 Posts
I give it 3 out of 4 stars. Didn't quite live up to the hype, but it was fun nonetheless. A little too long though. The acting was fine all around, and Kierra Knightley was quite the hottie!
Old 07-09-03, 10:55 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 29 Likes on 27 Posts
Duplicate threads!

I give it 3 out of 4 stars. Didn't quite live up to the hype, but it was fun nonetheless. A little too long though. The acting was fine all around, and Kierra Knightley was quite the hottie!
Old 07-09-03, 11:04 PM

I really liked it, thought Depp did a great job! Loved all the little scenes taken from the ride, great stuff..

P.S. Don't leave till AFTER the credits!
Old 07-09-03, 11:32 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

I'll give it a 7.5 out 10, or 3 out 4 stars, or a B+. I'm biased, but Depp once again did an awesome job. That guy has barely let me down. Rush was also good. Bloom as well. And, yes, Keira Knightley is quite the hottie. Rowr. Everytime she was on screen, it was hard to concentrate. I agree that it wasn't as good as I had hoped it would be, but much better than I ever expected from the source material. It was a bit too long. And it seems to end a record 5 times. I missed the stuff after the credits, so now I'll have to go back and check it out again. Actually, I'll probably just sneak in and check it out after I see League or something.

K
Old 07-09-03, 11:38 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Re: Pirates of the Caribbean

Originally posted by C-Mart
Well, I just got back from seeing Pirates of the Caribbean and I have to say it wasn't as bad as I thought it would be. I actually quite enjoyed it. I thought that they were maybe showing off a little bit when:

Spoiler:
The pirates were fighting and they were going through patches of moonlight, or going from indoors to outdoors, they would switch back and forth from flesh to skeleton.
Wow, I actually thought that was kinda cool. Different strokes...

K
Old 07-09-03, 11:52 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Pirates of the Caribbean is the most fun I've had at the movies all summer. Sure it doesn't have the kickass action of T3 or the stellar mind**** of the Matrix Reloaded, but it's got fun in spades.

Johnny Depp completely OWNS this movie... Geoffrey Rush, Orlando Bloom, Keira Knightly, all are fine, but it's Depp who stands head and shoulders above them all...without a doubt he is the reason to see this movie. His "Captain Jack Sparrow" is so crazy yet cool... such a clever bastard and a dirty scoundrel... I've never seen a pirate movie with a pirate like this... Johnny Depp takes the pirate we've known from dozens of movies and reinvents it. He brings lots of humour to the role, which really adds to the film.

The movie also has some decent F/X which help the story... the pirates who turn into Skeletons in the moonlight... I nearly **** myself... so goddamn cool...I need to steal this concept and use it down the road...so ****ing awesome...

Fans of the ride will be delighted to see many scenes from the ride recreated in the movie...not in some cheesy ******** way, but in a really good way that works in the movie and brings back the nostalgia for the ride....

I could go on and on about this flick but if you're looking for a very fun swashbuckler and want to see Johnny Depp do what he does best, than get on the boat and see PIRATES OF THE CARIBBEAN.

MATT

Yo Ho Yo Ho a Pirates life for me!

5 out of 5
Old 07-10-03, 12:03 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 204 Likes on 158 Posts
Saw it. NExt to Finding Nemo, I think this was probably the best movie of the summer in terms of delivering the goods in the areas where it needed to do so. I really wasn't following anything about this movie aside from a few previews, so I didn't know it was heavily hyped, at least not as much as other Disney fare. Also, given the source material, I wasn't expecting much at all.
The best thing about the movie is without a doubt Depp. He really is an underused actor IMO and it's nice to see him in a mainstream movie that lets him show off. Rush is also good, but I really do wish he wouldn't join the ranks of Jeremy Irons in showing that all you can hope for is a villain role if you're English and win an Oscar. Orlando Bloom wasn't that great, but he servied his purpose of being teeny bopper eye candy I guess. Keira Knightly, whom I have never seen before in a movie, is quite a hottie . I was pleasantly surprised when they made her character an intelligent woman and not a typical damsel in distress. Overall, the movie almost seemed to play like a Disney animated feature in live action in terms of script and characters. Kudos to all of the easter eggs from the ride!
I give the movie three out of four stars. Nothing exceptional or Oscar material, but highly entertainng and good summer fun. I hope it does well, it deserves to.

Last edited by Dr. DVD; 07-10-03 at 12:05 AM.
Old 07-10-03, 12:15 AM

I just came back from seeing it and I wish I would have known about staying after the credits, but I will be seeing it again anyway. This movie should be doing big business my show was a sellout, and the crowd was excited clapping and everything, even though are show started over twenty minutes late.

This movie was better than I had expected, and I have been looking foward to this being a fan of the ride, loved all the refrences to the ride too. Great casting especially Johnny Depp who was just too good for this role, Orlando Bloom also was quite good, as was Keira Knightley who was definitely quite the hottie as others have stated. I agree it was hard to concentrate when she was onscreen. I was also pleasently suprised about her character being intelligent, and not just a cliche damsel in distress.

Moving on, what was so great about Pirates of the Caribbean, was the balance of action and comedy which was handled very well. Also the visual effects are very good in this film. This is definitley the best action film of the summer, beating out Matrix, X2, Hulk IMHO. I hope this film does very well, as it is just a fun summer movie. ***1/2 of ****
Old 07-10-03, 12:32 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 204 Likes on 158 Posts
On a side note, this movie was a great accomplishment for Gore Verbinski after the lackluster piece of crap that was The Ring. (Yep, I HATED that movie. Know I'm in the minority though.)

Of course I really wonder how much of this movie was Jerry Bruckheimer's input, as he really knows how to make crowd pleasers. (Stinkbombs, too, though.)
Old 07-10-03, 12:41 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

What was shown in the clip at the end, did they leave it open for a sequel of some sort? I thought it was pretty darn good. About a 8/10 on my rating scale.
Old 07-10-03, 01:02 AM

Originally posted by mano365
What was shown in the clip at the end, did they leave it open for a sequel of some sort? I thought it was pretty darn good. About a 8/10 on my rating scale.
Clip at the end:

Spoiler:
The monkey goes back to the treasure and takes a piece of the gold out and turns back into a skeleton. Not sure if its a sequel thing or just them having a little fun.
Old 07-10-03, 02:28 AM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Originally posted by PhYbEr
Clip at the end:

Spoiler:
The monkey goes back to the treasure and takes a piece of the gold out and turns back into a skeleton. Not sure if its a sequel thing or just them having a little fun.
Spoiler:
Well, just before the credits roll, Sparrow takes out the "magic compass" and turns the wheel a little bit, so it is obvious that he is going back for the gold. W I D E O P E N for a sequal. I also thought for sure that when the monkey took the gold, that Barbossa would come back to life.

Cornelius1047: I thought it was cool too, but that they used it just a bit too much. It got a little distracting to see skeleton-pirate-skeleton-pirate-skeleton-pirate... well you get the idea.
Old 07-10-03, 02:40 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Really a great little action picture. I was thoroughly entertained throughout, and I think the main actors did a great job. The plot wasn't too predictable, and Bruckheimer managed to not ruin this completely. It was family-friendly, but kept my attention for the duration of the film. I would rate it a 7/10.

Those of you who haven't seen Keira Knightly before need to watch Bend it like Beckham.
Old 07-10-03, 03:33 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
I really liked the movie. Great popcorn flick!
Old 07-10-03, 03:37 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

I just got home from the movie and I really enjoyed the movie, it was entertaining. Johnny Depp was friken great in the movie and was one of the reasons why i enjoyed the movie so much. the other was Keira Knightley, she was definately a hottie. My friends and I were like damn, who is that hottie.

on a side note, next time we will see Keira Knightley on the big screen will be King Authur, which she will play the lovely Guinevere. found it odd that the director is antione fuqua, but whatever, aslong as its good. btw clive owen = arthur

Last edited by Excelesor; 07-10-03 at 03:41 AM.
Old 07-10-03, 03:40 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
OK, lets name all of the Disneyland ride references in the movie:
1) Prisoners trying to get the dog to bring them the keys to the cell.
Old 07-10-03, 04:02 AM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 1,803 Likes on 1,126 Posts
Originally posted by DeputyDave
OK, lets name all of the Disneyland ride references in the movie:
1) Prisoners trying to get the dog to bring them the keys to the cell.
2. Pirates
Old 07-10-03, 06:37 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts
I loved it. Very surprised because i didn't think it would be all that great.

As others have stated, Depp was incredible and Knightly is just down right beautiful.
Old 07-10-03, 06:43 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 143 Likes on 98 Posts
This movie was so much fun! Johnny Depp just owned the movie and was so hilarious. In his review, Ebert said Depp was channeling a drunken drag queen and I think that was accurate but in a good way. Fight scenes were well choreographed and I thought ther skelton-pirate back and forth was showing off but cool nonetheless. Very glad I stuck around until after credits:

Spoiler:
the second the movie was over I was thinking what happened to the monkey and there was my answer. Can't decide if that was just cute or a big sequel signal but i guess it doesn't matter.
Old 07-10-03, 07:05 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 290 Likes on 211 Posts
Well, I loved it too. And like Dr. DVD, I think it's right up there with "Finding Nemo". Which is my favorite movie this summer. And "Whale Rider". Anyway, I thought everyone in "POC" did a great job. Especially Depp. Who continues to astonish me as an actor. But overall, this was an extremely fun and very classy action adventure. Thumbs way way up.

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.